Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Dragonflies
Lens: DAL 18-55 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Texas, Oklahoma 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 06-14-2010, 09:46 PM

Dragonflies. I always try to get pictures of all the different ones I see. Main problem is being lucky enough to find one sitting still for a couple of minutes...this one sat there for a long time, let me take a boatload of shots, I finally got a few to come out good.

And that face...

Another one, taken in Oklahoma a week or so ago, I forgot about this one. First time I ever saw this dragonfly.

Views: 1,559
06-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The head-on shot is great. Thanks for sharing!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots, the colour of your Dragonflies is very similar to what we get here in Australia.
06-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Nice captures!

06-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys, sorry it took so long to respond, haven't been online for a few days.

Adam - That head on shot took me at least 20 tries, kept getting slightly out of focus, and for that shot I needed nice and clear. i was really lucky though, that little guy just sat there and let me snap away, 3 or 4 tries over a half hour. He seemed to like that spot, kept coming back and let me get within 6 inches every time. I guess I should have pulled out the 50mm, but never did. But now I know, it's the one to grab for close ups...

eaglem - I never had any idea what kinds you might have there, some of these may be worldwide or very similar. Someone posted some from the orient, china I think, and a couple were totally different, I expected the same in your neck of the woods.

swede - Thanks, I love trying to shoot dragonflies and damselflies, every shot is unique even though you're shooting the same one as the day before.
06-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice shots Pete.

That 2nd one has a comical, almost clown-like, appearance !

Yes I posted shots of some Chinese Dragons / Damsels taken here in Shanghai.
06-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager

Good perseverance with these captures.
It's the quintessential shot you look for when going bug shooting, so well done with #2.
Some PP work and you have a winner.
06-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got a couple more this morning, decided to tag them on here rather than start another thread.

This one taken with the 135mm lens, about 5 feet away. Best I've gotten the 135 to focus on a "close up" so far. I've been trying, but this lens is really hard to get nice clear focus for some reason. Also my first chance at a shot of this particular dragonfly. They usually don't let me get within 10 feet...

This is one I've shot before, this picture taken with the 50mm lens, 1 1/2 feet away at most. I think this is one of my best head on shots, I like the slight angle, and the lighting was pretty good, had a cloudy morning which is my favorite. This is a full size crop.

I also got another dragonfly I haven't shot yet, but neglected to crop it and add it to the usb drive to transfer to this computer, so it will have to wait.

Frogfish - I looked at those a couple of times, some great shots. Nothing here like the red one, if I'm remembering the right post.

06-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pete - I like to see the full body & wing shots, as in the one you have just posted, and find out the names if possible. There is a fantastic variety of dragons & damsels though so naming them all is an impossibility !

Yes, that was the thread. I haven't seen that 'head to toe' red one anywhere else except by that lake but then maybe it's quite common here, I have no idea really.
06-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Frogfish - thanks for the comments, I like to find out the names too, but most are not in my books and haven't had the time to do some serious searching online. Last time I tried with flowers, the online resources seemed to be out there but didn't turn up anything like what I was looking at in my pictures. Might try later though. I know one I shoot quite often is a Green Clearwing, another is a Low Flying Amberwing, but these I haven't identified yet. I think the one with white wingspots is in my book, but haven't looked yet. Spent my spare time last night (after the required most of the day photo shoot) finding a couple of new (to me) flowers paging through a couple of books.
06-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Pete - as you are in the USA this site could help you identify dragons & damsels ... not much use for me over here in china though

OdonataCentral
06-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, that looks like a good site. It's bookmarked. Only thing better would be if htey had pictures to go by from the start.