Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Something for strobist
Posted By: codiac2600, 08-09-2007, 07:53 PM

Decided to give the wireless strobe thing a try and here are my results. Basic setup was AF540 on the left shot into a silver/black umbrella at +1 and an AF360 on the right with Gary Fong Whaletail directed at the ceiling and softened towards Anne. Let me know what you think and for anyone with more experience with strobes and lighting please feel free to give me some pointers because this was a first attempt at lighting.

Views: 1,831
08-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Chris,

I think #5 is your best, followed by #3, then #1.

I also think it's nearly impossible to take a bad photo of a lady like Anne, though I probably could do it. But, if I have to nitpick, the other shots suffer from blown highlights to some degree.

I've been getting intrigued by the Strobist stuff, too. I just ordered my AF540 today. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Daryl
08-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
interesting to see how pictures can improve when you add some lighting.

good lighting can make a kit lens look great and a good lens fantastic.

first image is very detailed.

I think i would have tried reducing the power of the 360 to let your key light dominate more and create some contrast?

But I think they are very good and very sharp.
08-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Chris, very nice shots of a beautiful girl. On my monitor I do not see blown highlights but if I may make a suggestion it is to clean up the background. It does not have to cost money, any plain sheet of a suitable color or even try a white on. No stands? thumb tuck it to the wall. Take care,

Heinrich

08-11-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

They are nice shots and she's a lovely young lady.

There is one thing on each that is a bit distracting, though. On the tip of her nose in each shot is a hotspot from the flash going off. What this says to me is that you still have too much light going to that location. I suggest dialing down the power on your flash a bit or find another way to diffuse the light. As an alternative, if you use Photoshop, use the clone tool or the spot healing brush to blend her skin tones to eliminate the hotspot.

I'm dying to do some of that strobist stuff myself. Now that I have my K10D and 540, I can give it a try. I couldn't work with my DS because the popup flash was broken. I've ordered some sync blocks that will allow me to mount my 540 on a remote tripod and use the wireless sync. I may try to come up with a sync cable at some point. All I need now is the spare time to experiment...