Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First bird photos with new K10D
Posted By: Mandi, 08-10-2007, 12:13 AM

I researched dSLRs for months and finally settled on the K10D, and am I glad I did!! What a beautiful piece of technology! All you people who said, "you won't regret it" and similar were absolutely right. Thanks for the good advice!

These photos were taken on my first day of owning the camera, so any good things about them are entirely thanks to the quality of the technology. I was using mostly the Pentax 100mm macro, but also the 16-45 mm pentax zoom (sorry, I don't have all the jargon up my sleeve yet - I'm sure you experts know what lens I'm talking about.)

I am very lucky in living where I do (on the borders of the Royal National Park in Sydney) so I have no shortage of subject-matter - besides, the lorikeets, in particular, are absolutely shameless and will do anything for honey-water.

I'd appreciate any tips and pointers - the quality of the work on this forum is just outstanding, so I feel I can learn from all of you. Perhaps one day I'll submit to the competitions...?

But before I get there, I have to master just posting images on this thread...!!

Later: okay, eventually I got it right - see a couple of posts down for the photos...

Later still: trying one more time:

Yesssss!!!! Got it AT LAST!!!

Last edited by Mandi; 08-11-2007 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Trying again to include links to User gallery
Views: 1,972
08-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Help!! Why aren't my pictures showing??? All I can see is little red crosses - although I can see everyone else's images in their threads. I tried using the little "add image" icon and inserting the URLs from the Photo Gallery. I'd appreciate any help, please!
08-10-2007, 01:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Congrats on the K10D! It really is a dandy of a camera!

Look through this sticky about posting photos...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/433-tutorial-posting-use...ly-photos.html

Basically, you need to copy the url of the photo (copy the image location), wherever it's hosted... so right click on the image or ctrl click if you're on a mac.

Paste that into the forum message and put img tags around it.

it will look like this [img%]insert your url here[/img%]

only remove the % from the above example.

Now then... let's see those birds!
08-10-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi mandi, I saw your photos in the gallery and if that is your backyard I am Jealous Those birds are really cool- I haven't figured out the posting from the gallery thing yet either.

08-10-2007, 03:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Hamid, thanks for your prompt reply. As far as I can see (and I'm really fairly computer literate) I have done exactly what you and the tutorial said I should. I have the User Photo Gallery open in another window, and I just copied and pasted the URLs directly using the icon in the WYSIWYG window. I would try option #2 from the tutorial but I don't know what an "advanced posting" is - any help here?

And thanks, Tom - if you're ever this way, bring your camera to my garden and give it a work-out!!
08-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is really cool, I can't imagine having birds like that around. Thanks for sharing.
08-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
I'd still really like to be able to link to the photos in the User Gallery because these nine have used up all my attachment allowance. This is what I did, so can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

I started a new thread.
When I was ready to add the photos, I clicked on the little "Insert Image" icon.
That came up with a window that started with "http://"
In a separate window, I had the Gallery open. I copied and pasted the entire URL from the top of that, starting with "http" and ending with "html" For example, https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-3003.html
I deleted the "http" stuff in the Insert Image window (because my copied URL already had it) and pasted the URL over. End result: the URL in the window is now exactly the same as in the Gallery.
Click on ok.
End result is the two [img%] thingies (without % of course) with the full URL between them.
I pressed enter to move to a new line between images - was this my mistake??? 'Cos I can't see anything else I've done that isn't exactly as hamidlmt and the tutorial are telling me to do above.

I'd really appreciate any guidance on this please... I'd like to take part in this forum and I'm not going to be able to if I'm already close to my limit on what I can post.

Thanks!!

08-11-2007, 04:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
For any other newbie who is still battling with this (and from my searching around the forum, I can see there are several of us!) here's the secret: the URL you copy and paste from the User Gallery is NOT the one in the top white box of your browser. It's the one ENDING with '.jpg' UNDER the photo.

Hope this helps.
08-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Very nice pictures. The only birds I can usually coax into my backyard are robins and some bluejays
08-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
Well I nearly passed out with excitement when I saw a real "Robin Redbreast" when I was in England a few years ago, and have never seen a Bluejay although I would dearly love to - both are birds that I read about in British or American stories as a child, so they sound wonderfully exciting when "all" you have to see all day are those same old cockies!! It's all about perspective, isn't it?

I will say that the parrot family are generally very willing models - they're bright enough to quickly learn that you mean them no harm and will carry on with whatever they are doing and let you pretty much stick your camera lens into the bird table with them.
08-12-2007, 05:31 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Mandi nice pictures.....love the middle top picture...I stumbled when I first started posting, but you learn and people here will help you out when you ask. Wait until you post for the photo contest it always freaks me out if I did it right or not....Charlie