Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Demo of Squeeze Tackle (with leg assist)
Lens: DA 55-300/F4-5.8 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Sunnybank Saints playing fields ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: dosdan, 06-21-2010, 04:42 AM

The problem with single action shots is that sometimes a sequence of events is more interesting than a snapshot.

The problem with a video clip of an action event is that a) things usually happen too fast in real time b) even if it's in slow-mo you may only be interested in showing certain parts of the clip.

To me, the ideal compromise for some action events is a slide-show sequence. This site is not really suitable for that so I'll present a sequence of shots were I think are more interesting to consider in toto, rather than separately.

Action Man (aka Kaiea, my son) has graciously consented to demonstrate how to come a gutsa as the recipient of the Squeeze Tackle (with leg assist) in an U8 soccer match.

The first shot is not that sharp, but I've put it in anyway.

Action Man just wants to fly through the air like a turbo-charged duck - but there are storm clouds gathering that are going to cook his goose.

Action Man sees the inviting roosting area ahead - He feels a strange attraction towards it.

Action Man demonstrates the "Pelican Squat" - so called because it resembles a pelican squatting over its egg with its wings extended.
This advanced manoeuvre has been known to frighten nearby onlookers.

Inconsiderate people step in front of him - talk about rude! This free-spirited little sparrow just wants to fly home.

Action Man falls for the dastardly Squeeze Tackle (with leg assist) - the oldest trick in the book!

All he wanted to do is float through the air - but he's ended up eating dirt.

Dan
Views: 2,112
06-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice sequence. Tells the tale well.
06-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hello again, Scott. Thanks for the comments. How's your sports shooting going.

Dan
06-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Going well. Still shooting soccer U8 and U16. Made some sales on High School Varsity soccer shots last fall.
Currently shooting Baseball, covering entire towns Little League photos, ages 5-18, so quite busy.
Your guy is getting bigger and looks to be playing some great soccer. Now only if my sons U16 team could play as well as your U8!

06-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Scott, last Saturday game where I took those shots was the first time I tried low camera positioning. Normally I shoot from a tripod standing up, but this time I shot with none of the 3 section tripod legs extended so i was sitting on the ground. This change of perspective allowed me to get down to the U8's level and makes an interesting change. It does make it more difficult when you switch from one end of the field to the other as, rather than moving your feet, you have to move your seated body.

I also shot with near minimum DOF. I usually shoot with F7.1-F8 , but this time I shot with F4-5.8 to try and blur the background more to reduce distractions. Really I need a F2.8 zoom.

I've been unhappy with the sharpness of the many of my shots so I bought the Focus Magic plugin. I found that I had to adjust all my shots with the DA 55-300/F45.8 lens so it looks like I need to perform a AF micro adjustment for this lens in the K20D to fix this. I'll do this soon as adjusting each shot was a lot of extra processing work.

You will notice that the bokeh has become overly busy in some shots (like using a mirror lens), This is the effect of FM trying to fix the OOF background. FM is handy for small adjustments (1-6px). It can really improve a slightly OOF shot. To fix the busy background on a special shot I think you could either user layers and masks to leave the original blurred background, or maybe you could just add a Gaussian blur to the unmasked areas.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 06-22-2010 at 01:14 PM.
06-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Superb sequence, well done!
06-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice....In the "old days", I guess some people may have been able to do similar things with a "film, manual focus" camera like a Spotmatic, would they not......but they'd have to be very very good, I suppose.
Are there any forum members who have done similar stuff to this with an "old"
camera?....If there is, maybe you could show us.
Cheers, Pickles.

06-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Yes I hear your plea. I too am desperate to get a f2.8 zoom, but until then I live with the 55-300.
I do shot with aperture open as wide as I can get it. The weather here is often cloudy and keeps the shutter speeds slow, not what I want.
I posted some resent shots in this section Soccer Action (Not world cup). This was a sunny day so I had good shutter speeds. I shot this game sitting down, no tripod or monopod. Seat was required as I had a mild heart attack two weeks ago. A good vantage point though. I have use this low point of view before and it does put you right where the action is.
I will have to give the Focus Magic plug in a try