Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A little bit of Frenchness
Camera: K10 
Posted By: justinr, 06-21-2010, 01:59 PM

Just got back from a week's touring on the bike in France and have started to sort a few of the photos out.

An explanation of the above and a link to some more images of the ceremony can be found at -

Marigny-Brizay
Views: 2,418
06-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bike rider's quite the odd one out looking in...
06-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The bike rider's quite the odd one out looking in...
His friend in front of him turned to look at the crowd, his jaw dropped and he nearly fell off his bike but, alas, I wasn't quick enough to capture his surprise. As they say about fishing, it's always the best that get away.

Interesting little event though and I think I caught something of the spirit of it. Had to be a little careful as I didn't want to upset the 'official' photographer. Documentary is something I love.

Wasn't a good week with the camera otherwise as I suffered both battery and lens problems which I'll probably recount on another thread.
06-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL about the biker.
That makes shots like this extra special.

06-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
LOL about the biker.
That makes shots like this extra special.
Indeed, it's nice when it happens.

Talking of bikes here is my conveyance amidst the salt pans of Batz-sur-mer. Unfortunately no part of this picture is as sharp as it should be, it was taken when I was experiencing the problems mentioned above.

06-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
Indeed, it's nice when it happens.

Talking of bikes here is my conveyance amidst the salt pans of Batz-sur-mer. Unfortunately no part of this picture is as sharp as it should be, it was taken when I was experiencing the problems mentioned above.

What lens were you shooting with? I think a bit wider aperture could have helped a fair amount in both photos.
06-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thatguyyoulove Quote
What lens were you shooting with? I think a bit wider aperture could have helped a fair amount in both photos.
Not quite sure what you are getting at here for generally speaking the narrower the aperture the greater the sharpness if only because the DoF is greater. My habit is to shoot at higher f stops (f11+) if I can. If you've done any MF you'll understand why.

Anyway, for the record it was the 18-55 for the first shot and 50-200 for the second, both of which have behaved impeccably in the past. The problems I had are far greater than evidenced here and range from a complete blur to ghosting, but I want to experiment a bit first before discussing it.

Also worth noting that there is a lot of detail in the images for web size jpeg's to retain which won't help the cause.

Last edited by justinr; 06-22-2010 at 02:45 PM.
06-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #8

Oh no I understand completely I just think the second one would have turned out a bit better if you had separated the bike from the background. The background just seems too busy and distracting to me. The first one I wouldn't say it is as much of an issue. Personal preference I suppose. As for higher f-stops on MF that generally only really applies, in my opinion, after you stop down a couple times. Plus the bokeh can give you fair contrast so as to discern an edge. You aren't going to be able to see much of a difference even with a 1.2x magnifier through the viewfinder by stopping down. Especially with a kit lens.

06-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As it happens I didn't want the bike separated from the background, I wanted the activity there to be recorded, I would have preferred it larger in the frame as well but it's no more than a snap although the idea may be used if I return one day with serious intent. Should I wish to lose DoF then I set the camera accordingly.

From my days shooting weddings and editorial on Bronicas I kinda figured out what was what on the aperture front.

p.s. Nothing wrong with the 'kit' lens. Why the disparagement?

Last edited by justinr; 06-23-2010 at 08:36 AM.
06-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #10

No I wasn't trying to be rude. Just personal preference. Nothing is wrong with the kit lens per say they just aren't known for their IQ which is why they come so cheaply.
06-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thatguyyoulove Quote
No I wasn't trying to be rude. Just personal preference. Nothing is wrong with the kit lens per say they just aren't known for their IQ which is why they come so cheaply.
But the thing is that the Pentax 18-55 is in fact a damn good lens. Certainly I would wish it to be quicker at times but the fact is that compared to the Canon and Sigma EX's I was running before the switch it is, I feel, better in all respects.

Naturally there is much talk about 'kit' items not being particularly wonderful and I suspect much of this talk originates from the manufacturers themselves who want to sell more lenses which, I believe, are considerably more profitable than the lower spec dSLR's. Canon may sell crap lenses to get you going with the intent of flogging something better in the near future but thankfully Pentax have risen above all that.