Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Toronto Chinese Lanterns (many images)
Posted By: jsundin, 08-12-2007, 10:13 AM

I was in Toronto two weeks back and went to the Chinese Lanter Festival. What fun! If you are there, definately go see it.

Rogers Chinese Lantern Festival • July 19th to October 7th, 2007

Here are some of my shots. I started in the early evening with some light, then continued through the darkness. I switched between my DS50-200 and the FA50/1.4 as the time went on, using a mono pod when I could.

Looking out over Lake Ontario
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1174/1024021841_86b024b783_o.jpg[/IMG]

White balence is hard when they use different types of bumbs in the lanterns!

Look closely. The dragon sculpture is made with tea cups and saucers.

Back to the pond.

Soldiers along the canal

And a quick snap as I was leaving to show the variety of lanterns they have.

Views: 1,453
08-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Wow! They really put on an impressive show and you've captured the feel really nicely!
08-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots! They are most impressive after dark - of course. If anyone is in Toronto this summer I would highly recommend viewing.

We went there last year and I can see that quite a lot has changed. It was just a lot of fun walking around the island in the dark with a nice breeze blowing in off Lake Ontario. It is most difficult to get shots without people in them as the place is usually crowded, but this does give some perspective to the relative sizes of these lanterns.

The dragon in the 3rd shot is truly huge. It is made entirely of ceramic plates, cups and bowls and lit with over 1000 lights.

I hope you don't mind but here are a few I took last year. (If you request I will remove them.)

Last edited by J.Scott; 08-30-2007 at 01:40 AM.