Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Magpie
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K200D Photo Location: Linden Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: RichardS, 06-26-2010, 02:00 AM

Round about the middle/end of August, these B*&&^%$ will be using their beaks to attack innocent cyclists. I'm trying to make friends with all the local magpies, but I'm not too sure about this one

Richard.
Views: 3,019
06-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice catch, I hope you become close!
06-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice shot. I have never seen this particular species before. The white bill and white back.
I tried to google where Linden Park was but I found out we have one right here in Seattle but of course thats not right. It seems to be a popular name for parks.

Heres a shot of one though not very good. I believe to be a western species.
06-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Nice shot. I have never seen this particular species before. The white bill and white back.
I'm guessing RichardS is in Australia? (Australian Magpie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Here's a Euro one I shot a few weeks ago (sorry, I'm new.. if I'm breaking etiquette please let me know):

I also noticed recently the peregrine falcons in Amsterdam seem to keep one around as a pet. Sorry, really bad pics; just posting for comparison's sake. I'm a bit of a bird nut:

Everything Pentax K100d; top pic with Tamron zoom lens, the other two manual focus, with a Noflexar 600mm (shoulder mount). Rather extreme distance, so rather extreme crops .

06-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I tried to google where Linden Park was but I found out we have one right here in Seattle but of course thats not right. It seems to be a popular name for parks.

Heres a shot of one though not very good. I believe to be a western species.
Thanks. That DA55-300 is a bargain. You might have had more luck googling if I'd spelled Lynden Park correctly. Ooops

Google Maps

Richard.
06-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good photo Richard. I've heard of Magpie's but never actually saw one. TFS
06-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Good photo Richard. I've heard of Magpie's but never actually saw one. TFS
Thanks, Mar. OJGoreng has the Wikipedia link. They have a beautiful song that's great to wake up to in the morning. Here's the same guy posing for me before he decided to walk away.

Richard.

06-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Lovely capture Richard.
The Aussie magpie is from the caroller group of birds with a very pretty warbling song. In spring when they are nesting they become a tad aggressive and will swoop or peck those they deem be a threat to their hatchlings. Obviously the bicycling community have peeved them off in the past, no doubt running them over because they've neglected to use their bells when approaching and not giving adequate warning. This is what happens when folk play pelaton in public parks. The denizens reap their revenge.
06-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Lovely capture Richard.
The Aussie magpie is from the caroller group of birds with a very pretty warbling song. In spring when they are nesting they become a tad aggressive and will swoop or peck those they deem be a threat to their hatchlings. Obviously the bicycling community have peeved them off in the past, no doubt running them over because they've neglected to use their bells when approaching and not giving adequate warning. This is what happens when folk play pelaton in public parks. The denizens reap their revenge.
Thanks, John.

A 'tad' aggressive? I admire your capacity for understatement. I've never done anything to incur their antipathy that I can think of. I don't even have a bell on any of my bikes. But watch out mate, they also attack motor bike riders A friend lifted his visor once and one of them flew straight in. Ouch!

I've only been swoooped once and that was on the velodrome in Hawthorn. This is bike territory and magpies should understand that we're just going round and round and round in endless ovals.

After the first swoop, I made some mods to my helmet which can be seen here Swooping birds — Bicycle Victoria. That was Mark I. I have since reduced the cable ties and now just use two vertical ones on Mark IV, which has been going fine for a couple of years. I've just had the occasional scouting mission and no bombing runs with my latest design. Oh yeah. Now that that the last pair of my Oakley Eyeshades have given up, I can't use the sat nav excuse any more. I just tell people that it's for channeling the people in the spaceship on the other side of Mars

Richard.
06-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great capture richard.... nice to see a new species here in the forum.... thanks for sharing, dave m
06-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

They should be shot with a rifle rather than a camera. They also attack and kill newborn lambs.
06-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
They should be shot with a rifle rather than a camera. They also attack and kill newborn lambs.
Really!?! You have some particularly angry magpies on that side of the ditch.
06-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice image of a maggie Richard - well done......

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Lovely capture Richard.
The aggressive behaviour is variable. We have a family at our place that are super tame and can be fed by hand. They've never swooped us, and frequently have conversations.

I have been swooped in the past by other families in some locations - usually around schools and parks - and only during the breeding season. Maybe its something to do with how they are treated by others that leads to that behavior.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
In Australia they are a protected species - no guns allowed

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Really!?! You have some particularly angry magpies on that side of the ditch.
Must have been a very aggressive family that was introduced over there (less than 10% are aggressive BTW)......

Although increasingly urbanised, they still largely eat small insects and small vertebrates along with a few plant seeds etc. Big things are not in their normal diet. So eating a lamb is probably due to a lack of food in New Zealand.

Cheers
06-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliments, folks.
06-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Could just be that New Zealand lamb is so much nicer than Aussie lamb!