Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Few B&W "action" portraits
Posted By: Duh_Vinci, 08-12-2007, 05:08 PM

I did a little "photo shoot" with the local band not long ago. They are now getting closer to releasing their first demo CD and I was tossing few ideas for conversion around.

Having in mind that this is a rock/metal band, kinda naturally, they would like to have something of a "rougher" appearance. So B&W with some film-like grain came to mind... These few are from the series to be included into CD slip - inside cover, 3-4 photos of each band members...

These three were taken during practice session:

Your feedback on the finish/conversion would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
D
Views: 1,539
08-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think they are cool pictures and I like the conversion but I must say the second picture just sets me off. I guess I first started noticing it in American Idol when the entertainers would point their finger at you. Real entertainers don't do this. When a guy does it with that expression on his face it's just worse. I mean if he wants to piss off the very people he wants to buy his product, fine, it's his prerogative but I wouldn't buy it.
08-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For me, the second is the best.

I do understand and, in some sense, agree with Eaglerapids.
However, for a CD inlet of a probably "progressive", "hard" band, I'm sure the energy or the aggression visible there is stunningly effective.
It simply challenges the viewer, photographically.

This also reminds me once again that the success of a photograph is based on whether it "moves" us or not. The direction of the movement (for example, love or hate) does not really matter...

Congratulations...
08-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the first and last one. I agree with the aggressiveness of the second one. However I would think you should take into account the CD'S name if it is something other than the band name - I mean you can look as some of the successfull album overs from the past - Areosmith , Rolling Stones. Led Zepplin , Beatles , I think these bands and dozen;s of others had covers that reflected the Albums's name.

That said I am shoing my age here - where Albums were records played a t 33.333 RPM and the art work was a real selling peice of the record. CD's are a different matter , howver a catch name and picture can generate some interest which is what a starting band may be after.

my $0.02...............

08-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for taking time to look and feedback, always appreciated!!!

Second shot - yes, very aggressive, and to a degree "intimidating", but then again, its rather a second nature to heavy metal

Cover album - completely agree, can be the "power seller"... Band has many ideas, but nothing in concrete yet, will see...

Regards,
D
08-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well done on these ... they are awesome.
Something different too.