Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A couple pics of my karmann ghia
Posted By: vdubbin099, 08-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Here are a couple pics of my 1973 VW Karmann Ghia, I have one question, in the first picture I made the car the only thing in color by using the lasso in PS and just circled the car and then went to adjustments and changed the saturation slider bar so it would be black and white, but is there anyother way to do this a little easier?? Thanks

Views: 1,942
08-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hot-diggity! That has to be the most beautiful Karmann Ghia I've ever seen, VDubbin! And Karmann Ghia's are already beauties! Do you have a Leica M4/M5 or a Pentax Spotmatic to go with it?

The first picture is absolutely perfect. Don't have PS, so no ideas on the B/W conversion.

The second could be bettered with a different angle, or a closer position.
08-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #3

I normally convert to B&W by creating a new layer ontop of the background layer, filling it with black, and changing the blending mode to color. Then if I wanted an area to be colored, I would just erase that area out on the "black" layer. Pretty fast.
08-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HowLowCanYaGo Quote
I normally convert to B&W by creating a new layer ontop of the background layer, filling it with black, and changing the blending mode to color. Then if I wanted an area to be colored, I would just erase that area out on the "black" layer. Pretty fast.
Thanks for info, I will definetely try that way from now on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Roberts Quote
Hot-diggity! That has to be the most beautiful Karmann Ghia I've ever seen, VDubbin! And Karmann Ghia's are already beauties! Do you have a Leica M4/M5 or a Pentax Spotmatic to go with it?

The first picture is absolutely perfect. Don't have PS, so no ideas on the B/W conversion.

The second could be bettered with a different angle, or a closer position.
Haha, thanks for all the compliments, I love the way Ghia's look too. And no I don't have one of the old Pentax's yet, I'll have to get one to put in the lugage when I take the Ghia to car shows.

08-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, our family has a history with VWs, as when my parents were in their 20-30s (1970s and 1980s), a lot of their cars were used Squarebacks and Fastbacks. I think their first non-VW (besides a Ford Pinto my dad had once, another story) was a late '80s Toyota Corolla.

Of course, then there's the 1970 VW Westfalia Camper Van in our garage that needs a restoration... It's so cool.

Last edited by Matthew Roberts; 08-12-2007 at 07:49 PM.
08-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah, our family has a history with VWs, as when my parents were in their 20-30s (1970s and 1980s), a lot of their cars were used Squarebacks and Fastbacks. I think their first non-VW (besides a Ford Pinto my dad had once, another story) was a late '80s Toyota Corolla.

Of course, then there's the 1970 VW Westfalia Camper Van in our garage that needs a restoration... It's so cool.
Ya my family has a passion for VW's also, I have had a 83 Rabbit and I currently have the 73 Ghia, a 91 GTI and a 97 Audi A4(which VW owns I'm sure you already know that), my brother had an old 89 Jetta in high school and now has a 03 Jetta and mom has a 04 Passat and my dad has had 2 different A6's, but now he drives a BMW.

I was actually looking to get a fastback so that is the same year(or close) and color as my Ghia, they are sharp looking cars. But you should definetly restore that old van camper and save a VW!
08-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, it's lasted 12 years in our garage in its current tattered state, but since we're moving onto 10 acres, we might just have the space to repair it.

I'd really like to see it up and running.

Right now my family is all Toyota, a '06 RAV4 and a '04 Camry.

08-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well, it's lasted 12 years in our garage in its current tattered state, but since we're moving onto 10 acres, we might just have the space to repair it.

I'd really like to see it up and running.

Right now my family is all Toyota, a '06 RAV4 and a '04 Camry.
nice, well I think it's time to come back to the good side and get that VW running......well running for a little while before it breaks down again