Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
So...whats good about this shot?
Posted By: D4rknezz, 06-29-2010, 08:37 AM

Errr, soo. This is weird, This is the opposite of critique. It really is a critique, but I am asking for a critique on myself.

Here is the story, I took this picture, and the model saw it, and begged me to work on this one.
I lagged on it, mainly because it didnt appeal to me. The hair, the expression, etc.
Finally, after a lot of nagging, I worked on it, posted it on facebook tagging the model, and in an hour got lots of comments on how great it looked.

To my shame, to this moment I still dont know. I can tell whats wrong with it though. The problem is, not knowing what looks good on a model may make otherwise great shots throw-aways. So i am looking for help: What appeals to you in this picture and why cant I see it?

Or....

Was my initial impression correct and this really is a usual picture?

I feel like Roger Ebert who just totally lambasted a movie that went on to become a box office seller or something.

Attached Images

Views: 2,359
06-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sometimes we are so obsessed with the perfect technical shot that we miss out on what others like, especially if it is taken of themselves. The model obviously likes her look and her friends agree. You must have captured the 'real her'. Congrats!
06-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It's a nice portrait of the gal. What's not to like?
06-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm no expert, but I see...

Not enough texture for me for a B&W, no contrast between her and what she's laying on, not enough contrast between her hair, jeans and background. She looks like something incidentally in the picture, not the subject of it. Hair is fine, great looking girl, but if I took this shot I wouldn't like it either. Not enough contrast between subject and background mainly, and with B&W I like lots of texture, the kind of texture you get with tree bark in B&W..You can get that with people, but this shot doesn't have it.

Also you may need to realize that most non-photographers wouldn't know a great picture if it bit them. I've showed some of my average film and digital shots to people who thought they were great, when I know full well I'm looking at anaverage decent shot but nothing special. Same as when I play guitar with a band, people always come up on my worst nights telling me how great I played...when I know it absolutely sucked...I just have to say "thanks, I appreciate it", and press on.

06-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
*She* looks terrific, in a sultry, laconic way. It's a mood shot and her smile and eyes express that. It helps they are pinned to a corner of the frame.

But the photo is compressed with distractions and some artifacts. She has a doorknob and towel bar hovering over her form. She's lying somewhat kinked. The light shining in her jet black hair is blotchy, looking digitized. not enough skin definition, like way too much airbrushing, all shadow and smooth, no texture. the blue jeans are not quite right, sort of in a netherland of shading on one part, but veru well defined with that classic denim lining in another. What color is the bedspread?

It's emotionally there. She's saying something, loving the camera, feeling good about herself.
06-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I might have to have a look at the model to see if you worked miracles on her for this shot, but if that is not the case then it's a good photo in my eyes but not outstanding.
was this the only photo you posted or was it just the one that got the most comments out of a set?

edit: on a second look I really like the model's expression and how she looks comfortable. the angle is also very favorable to her.
there might be something to it after all

Last edited by Pablom; 06-29-2010 at 11:04 AM.
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If the model likes it you did something right! I actually think the shot is quite fetching and natural. It sort of evokes a snapshot by the boyfriend while also having a well crafted and intentional look. The elements in the background are a bit distracting but not enough that they are significant. It's not really a wall hanger or even a portfolio-grade shot, but it's still nice.

Mike

06-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys.
I did find the background could have been less distracting, and in fact, considering some others in the set, I thought her hair and expression looked a little off.
Though some of the others in the set totally did not get this kind of response from the model and her friends.

I am glad that the model likes it, I am hoping I can teach myself to spot these shots easier. Sharing untouched picture for the subject to see is something I wanna try and get away from, but i wont be able to do this if I fail to keep the keepsakes.

More to learn, more to learn ..
But as Pete says, maybe its true, learn to forgive myself and not be too hard - as long as the client is happy I should walk away happy too
06-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Here's why I like it
- The framing is fantastic. It breaks some rules, but works great.
- The blue/brown colouring is subtle and pleasant
- Her body position is very natural looking, which is likely a direct reflection of the way she carries herself.
- Her eye contact with the camera and facial expression are just dripping with mood.
- There's distractions in the scene from a technical standpoint, but they make the image appear real and not "studio-like". This is her in her element (and if it isn't it sure looks like it is).

I think this is a winning shot that you should be quite proud of. I'd call it a keeper for sure.

c[_]
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Here's why I like it
- The framing is fantastic. It breaks some rules, but works great.
- The blue/brown colouring is subtle and pleasant
- Her body position is very natural looking, which is likely a direct reflection of the way she carries herself.
- Her eye contact with the camera and facial expression are just dripping with mood.
- There's distractions in the scene from a technical standpoint, but they make the image appear real and not "studio-like". This is her in her element (and if it isn't it sure looks like it is).

I think this is a winning shot that you should be quite proud of. I'd call it a keeper for sure.

c[_]
Basically what he said along with this:

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
It sort of evokes a snapshot by the boyfriend while also having a well crafted and intentional look.
It's not technically perfect, but she looks natural and naturally pretty.
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It's a very nice natural shot of a gorgeous girl. But definitely not suitable for a model's portfolio - my daughter models and there is nothing amateurish about the shots (which the background & location gives away here) in her portfolio. Check out Model Mayhem.
06-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Banned

I think it looks natural and you can't beat the smile and the eyes. I've given up trying to figure out why something I'm 'meh' about is someone elses favorite.
06-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe she's tired of everyone seeing her as a sex object and this photo hides just enough and shows her feet, so it's not a come-on.
06-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
Forum Member

The wonderful beauty of your subject has overwhelmed any technical imperfections of the image. Photographers spend too much time talking to themselves. The power of an image comes more from the subject and not technique to those not particularly concerned with photography per se. My view is that I am such a lousy photographer, that I will gladly accept any compliment for practically any reason. What the hell, I do this just for fun.