Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Focused Like a Laser
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Galveston Bay off Baycliff ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Rather, a bunch of Lasers . . . . . 182 boats competed in the North American Laser Championships on Glaveston Bay last weekend - winners of various classes came from the US, Bermuda, BVI and other places. We were day sailing and I managed to get a few pictures which are posted here.

The third shot was PP'd differently than the others. All shots were PP'd with PSP X2 and cropped about 50%; 1,2 and 4 where then simply resized and sharpened at the level I typically use for posting. On the third shot I applied a very low level of the Clarify tool, resized and then very lightly sharpened. I think I prefer the three shots I treated "normally" over number 3, but I wonder what others think.

Jer

Three boats competing:

Approaching the mark:

Rounding the mark:

And . . . around the mark:

Views: 1,669
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting. I looked at all three before I read your text and had already chosen #3 as my favourite !

I must get me a copy of that DA 55-300 as I've seen so many great shots with it and it seems unbeatable for the price (currently I'm using a Tamron 70-300 & a Takumar 300).
07-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At least the water is oil free Jer. Nice images. JIM
07-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Interesting. I looked at all three before I read your text and had already chosen #3 as my favourite !

I must get me a copy of that DA 55-300 as I've seen so many great shots with it and it seems unbeatable for the price (currently I'm using a Tamron 70-300 & a Takumar 300).
You know, it starting to look better to me, as well. Go figure.

Yeah - this zoom gives a lot of bang for the buck.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
At least the water is oil free Jer. Nice images. JIM
Hey thanks, old buddy.

Jer

07-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice series, and looks like a nice day out on the water!

My fav is #4, I think mainly because it gives a better sense of the scope of the event.

In #3, I can't get past the wake in the foreground - distracting to my eye.

re-t
07-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lovely. I've sailed the Laser since I was quite young and love that dinghy. I taught sailing for 6 years. Great photos.
07-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tpeace Quote
Nice series, and looks like a nice day out on the water!
My fav is #4, I think mainly because it gives a better sense of the scope of the event.
In #3, I can't get past the wake in the foreground - distracting to my eye.
re-t
Thanks for the great comments. I included 4 exactly for the reason you mention, and I have the same issue with 3. Big races like this one are surrounded by small power boats available to deal with emergencies, so their wakes are hard to avoid completely.
Jer
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Lovely. I've sailed the Laser since I was quite young and love that dinghy. I taught sailing for 6 years. Great photos.
I've never sailed a Laser, having "come up" in a Sunfish and a couple of sloop-rigged dinghies. However, we did have a Force 5 for a time - rather like the Laser but not nearly as successful. Now we sail a geezer boat - displacement cruiser.
Jer