Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A morning stroll in a game land
Lens: SMC 1000/f11 Camera: K20 Photo Location: State College, PA ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: CGottfried, 07-01-2010, 05:30 PM

I thought I'd post a typical morning stroll (from yesterday) in the game land which is next door to where I live (really convenient for walking and photography--except during deer and pheasant seasons). The photos are somewhat soft (more the wretched floater in my left eye than the lens), but I think it's an okay selection.

1. A yellow warbler with an amazingly long neck.
2. A sleek waxwing.
3. A butterfly (American Lady) at near minimum distance (28 feet), enjoying thistle.
4. Goldfinch--also enjoying thistle.

Yesterday the local great blue heron was a little too fast for me. Sneaky too. Flew toward me, dipped below the reeds, and then must have reversed direction, since it disappeared.

Attached Images

Views: 1,259
07-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Impressive that you pulled these off with the 1000mm- but is the extra reach really worth it considering the drop in resolution and bokeh?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
A long telephoto lens like the 1000mm reflex has an opportunity cost, but the Pentax is capable of sharp photos. I consider the yellow-billed cuckoo photo to be sharp enough no matter the lens--and at 150 feet. On the other hand, I used a *1st D, so someone with a K10 or anything later would have the equivalent with a 600mm lens (not that there are too many carryable 600mm lenses around).

Half the time in nature photos, the question is, How close can I get. Some animals and birds tolerate closer distances. In the wild, nine out of ten times a hawk would panic when within 500 feet; but there will be the tenth time when I'm pressed to try to fit the whole hawk into the frame.

Now that's for central Pennsylvania. A fellow I know travels to Nebraska and also Alaska for photography (and watching). Out there, he often comes within a hundred feet of a raptor.

As for bokeh, yes, it is difficult, but I've many excellent photos with pleasing bokeh taken with the f11 reflex, and I've more in which the bokeh is most unfortunate. Nowhere as bad, however, as the generic 3d-party reflex lenses that flood the market. The pentax is quite exceptional. Internal focus too, which is an aid since the lens balance remains constant.

I like it. But I hope to get a Sigma 150-500 too one of these days. Manual focus can be rough in a split-second decision.
Attached Images