Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More birds out the kitchen window.
Posted By: vievetrick, 08-13-2007, 06:20 PM

For those that missed my bird pictures here is what has been happening.

So last year I added one of those feeders you stick on the window in the kitchen (on the outside) with little results. This year we are the place to be according to how many times I have to fill it ( about twice a week to ten days). In addition to the feeder I took a piece of wood and attached a branch and placed it about 6 or so feet from the window. This helps as a landing zone or a get in line and wait your turn while the birds are at the feeder. So I over the past few weeks I have been shooting with my Pentax K10 with the Sigma 70-200 and my Pentax FA50mm 1.4. threw the window and got some okay shots. This week I decided that I would take out the screen in the window next to the feeder and see if I could get some without the window between us. The birds are starting to get used to me. I am taking the screen out and just moving enough to shoot threw from in the house and it still is there. So here are some I took this weekend. I am fiddling with the on board flash on a couple and happy with the results. C&C welcomed and here is a link to a bunch more if you are interested Birds and stuff All shot in RAW converted then cropped and tweaked mostly levels and or a smidge or curves and sharpening. I know what most of them are but I am stumped on the last one. I am in Western Ma. USA.

They even play nice some times.

Now serving #

Nice BOKEN

What is this one?

Thanks for looking and sorry about the high count. I am just pretty happy and wanted to share.

Message Edited by vievetrick on 08-13-2007 09:06 PM
Views: 1,645
08-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I believe the last bird is a juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird. I also have seen them at my feeders recently.
08-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff.
08-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series Pat, thanks for posting them and I do believe Jeff is right about the juvenile Cowbird.

Heinrich

08-14-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Beautiful close up shots Pat. Your strategy is working well for you. I don't think I can suggest much. Perhaps the composition of for example 5 and 6 are a little more interesting than the straight twig in 4. Personally the natural twig shots draw me much more than the others, though the others are good too.

Paul
08-14-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Very nice shots Pat. I like the 4th and 5th especially, very natural and great detail.
08-14-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Your patientience is paying off Pat - nice shots indeed. Here I am starting to see flocks of birds flocking outta here - a sure sing sign summer is comming to an end

08-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the kind words.

Heinrich - Thanks I will do some research as I am not sure I have ever seen one of these in the yard before.

Paul - I agree with the twigs. I have to say I got the idea from numerous Photo Magz talking about setting up these stands in your yard to get the natural shot instead of just on the feeder. Not that I am apposed to the shot son the feeder but I really like the way they look with the natural landing and a clean background.

Daacon - I still have a few months before they all head out of town. But your right the calendar is moving along quickly.

Scott - thanks as well.