Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Perched Ruby-Throated Male Hummingbird @ 600mm, 1/125 sec.
Posted By: Marc Langille, 07-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Activity has been down a lot this year...

This particular male has been fairly aggressive in his "squatting rights" for a couple of feeders. Cropped a bit for composition and so he didn't look so small in the original shot - still just over 2900 pixels on the long side. This subject was approx. 18 feet/6 metres away.

Link to all of the metadata --> EXIF

Here's a tighter crop for better detail and Frogfish's suggestion. This shot is just over 2100 pixels on the long side:

Thought I'd try a low-light shot with higher ISO and low shutter speed. I intentionally bumped the EV to +0.3 due to the ISO 800.

Activity is finally starting to pick up again - at least 10 in the front yard today! I hope you enjoy it!

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 07-04-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Views: 4,060
07-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great capture marc.... i just started trying to lure these beauties with a couple of feeders.... love these speed demons.... dave m

07-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

What a great capture of the Ruby throated hummer...great detail on that gorgeous ruby throat!
07-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Amazing work you do with that lens.
I was chasing one around yesterday but alas, no luck.
Oren, much appreciated and it's hard to nail hummers with a 600mm - a 300mm is better - the FOV is pretty tight at 12-14 feet away and only half of the 300mm. That's where the power zoom is pretty useful: start at 250mm to better track the subject and if you have time zoom in a nail the shot. I didn't use that technique for this stationary shot though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
It's great to see one of your shots again, Marc. Spectacular as always.

Jer
Thank you Jer!

Off topic, but related: I've intentionally had to avoid most photography due to arthroscopic knee surgery for repairing (trim) a dual medial meniscus tear. I couldn't stand standing or sitting in a static position for several months due to knee discomfort and static standing/sitting with the knee flexed. This was heartily discouraged by the orthopaedic surgeon, so photography was quite limited. I went back and put the spare time to good use: a lot of time training on the road and mountain bikes. It's paid off in spades: no tolerance issues to speak of and I'm pretty lean and fit these days; should be able to run again in the coming weeks (after a couple setbacks with that activity). I'm considering a 3-day mountain bike stage race in October in Louisiana plus a couple of Nordic ski marathon races (min. 42km or ~25miles) in the winter.

I'm headed to Colorado for more sports related stuff in just over a week. I hope to snag a bit of time in the early dawn with the camera gear, but the schedule is full. If it worked out, I'd love to go to Mont St. Anne to photograph the Mountain Bike World Champs in early September!

Cheers,
Marc
07-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Nice clean well executed shot Marc.
Well done.

07-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc's Ruby-throated hummingbird photo is super. In this thread I appreciate that there are photographers who take time to identify their bird photos with species and region. Be it birds, bugs, butterflies, or a flowers, I believe that any photographer serious enough to post a photo should be responsible for and serious about attaching the subject's identifying info (unless posting to ask for help with identification.)