Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Lightning over the Atlantic
Posted By: Nomad, 07-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Views: 4,753
07-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen some pretty ordinary lightning shots so I really appreciate the spectacular ones.
And these ones are seriously good IMHO. I like both.

07-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all,

No worries with the somewhat harsh CC. This was my first attempt at lightning so I had no clue as to the correct settings.
I had to go to ISO 400 because the write time was so long on the exposure that I would not have had much chance to capture any lightning waiting for 1+ minute for a 40 second exposure to write.

I live in Maine so I probably won't have a chance to shoot lighting again until I get back down south some time in the future

I enjoy the shots and am happy with the results even though they certainly are not pro caliber.
07-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The second shot is just amazingly amazing!
07-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #19

Very impressive shots IMHO. Make me want to reef the main or just head for cover.

07-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Mischivo, got any lightning shots of your own to show us how it's done?
07-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Mischivo, got any lightning shots of your own to show us how it's done?
amen... AMEN !!!!!!!!!!
07-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #22
Inactive Account

@Mishivo:

Seriously, nice work on that second shot, capturing the "whole bolt" makes the whole shot look much more majestic and a little ominous. I guess I see the noise... but I don't care because its a good shot. People complaining about noise is just noise in itself.

07-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
Why is your sky so bright, and subsequently, noisy? Why are you on ISO 400 when your exposures are so long? Why aren't you at the lowest possible ISO, thereby increasing your chances of having a clearer image?

I recommend that you buy a cheap Pentax film camera, some Fuji slide film, a light meter, and properly meter your shots for whatever length of time you feel is requisite for the capture of a lightning bolt. I guarantee you that if your exposure isn't off, you'll be much happier with the results you get with film and long exposures than you are with these.
Show us your superior shots mischivo.
07-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That second shot is terrific!
By the way for those that don't know, lightning exposure is a function of ISO and aperture. with distant lighting you actually need a fairly fast combination of both. even when you get the exposure right you can still get a large, strobing, or rain wrapped bolt that will blow the photo!
07-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
That second shot is terrific!
By the way for those that don't know, lightning exposure is a function of ISO and aperture. with distant lighting you actually need a fairly fast combination of both. even when you get the exposure right you can still get a large, strobing, or rain wrapped bolt that will blow the photo!
As I suspected, but wasn't 100% about. Hence my rather smart ass comment, since a certain someone probably has not tried shooting lightning before. I suspect it's similar (but still not exactly like) shooting fireworks. Does this sound about right? You want to keep your shutter open long enough to actually capture a bolt, but not too long that you are missing shots in between due to DSF and writing to the card. You then want to set your aperture small enough that you get a decent looking enough bolt without it either completely blowing the entire exposure, but not so small that you don't end up with nothing but a tiny sliver. Finally, you want to set your ISO to balance it all out. Having only shot lighting once, this was the approach I planned to take at the next opportunity.

BTW, how the hell is a light meter going to help? If you meter between strikes, it's off during a strike. And you can't meter during strikes, because no two are ever the same.

Last edited by Jodokast96; 07-06-2010 at 04:41 AM.
07-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Nomad - as I mentioned above - I think the 2nd shot is excellent (though I also think a session in PS or A3 could solve most of the problems with #1 too) however I would PP out the boat lights and maybe crop away part of the right hand side too. Personally choice though, some may prefer it left in.
07-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I actually think the boat lights (or whatever they are) help the photo. They effectively anchor that dark side and provide a vague sense of scale.

Mike
07-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Wow, I really like #2. Powerful and electric shot!
07-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Yes, great shots. You can ignore the first comment.
07-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I actually think the boat lights (or whatever they are) help the photo. They effectively anchor that dark side and provide a vague sense of scale.

Mike
By golly that's it, Mike. In my reply above, I indicated my appreciation for the shot, but it's those (anchor ?) lights that make the composition complete; my aging brain couldn't come up with the words.

Jer