Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lightning over the Atlantic
Lens: DA 18-50 Camera: k10d Photo Location: Miami ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Nomad, 07-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Views: 4,755
07-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Why is your sky so bright, and subsequently, noisy? Why are you on ISO 400 when your exposures are so long? Why aren't you at the lowest possible ISO, thereby increasing your chances of having a clearer image?

I recommend that you buy a cheap Pentax film camera, some Fuji slide film, a light meter, and properly meter your shots for whatever length of time you feel is requisite for the capture of a lightning bolt. I guarantee you that if your exposure isn't off, you'll be much happier with the results you get with film and long exposures than you are with these.
07-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I think the second one is great! Good job. First one seems a bit overexposed, slightly out of focus, or maybe a heavy crop? Either way, the second one is much crisper.
07-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the second photo is an absolute stunner, well done.

Last edited by twitch; 07-03-2010 at 09:52 PM.
07-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #5

I am impressed with both of them, much better than I have ever been able to do. My only suggestion would be perhaps cropping them some to make them more dramatic, but that is a matter of personal taste. Thanks for sharing.
07-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That second photo is spectacular!
07-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
both shots are great. thanks for sharing

07-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love that second one - and a little grain gives it character. Great job.

Jer
07-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nicely done.Isn't it ironic that some of the harshest criticisms can be generated from individuals who don't have many photos or none at all to share. Well anyway--everyone enjoy the 4th of July--Even you Brits out there and if I don't celebrate to excess I will post the top 5 or so photos from my photo contest tomorrow.---charliezap
07-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very nicely done.Isn't it ironic that some of the harshest criticisms can be generated from individuals who don't have many photos or none at all to share. Well anyway--everyone enjoy the 4th of July--Even you Brits out there and if I don't celebrate to excess I will post the top 5 or so photos from my photo contest tomorrow.---charliezap
He's always like that Charlie - I told him not to post in any of my threads any more. To some people he is just downright nasty. None of us are pros (and he certainly isn't) so encouragement and friendly advice / C&C are really welcome.
07-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I recommend that you buy a cheap Pentax film camera, some Fuji slide film, a light meter, and properly meter your shots for whatever length of time you feel is requisite for the capture of a lightning bolt. I guarantee you that if your exposure isn't off, you'll be much happier with the results you get with film and long exposures than you are with these.
Just curious, how do you scan your film? I set out to get a film camera because I wanted to give it a go but the info I got was I would have to spend $1500 on a decent scanner to make it worth it. Maybe I was just mislead or misunderstood.
With that in mind a cheap film camera isn't cheap anymore.

BTW Nomad, I think the second one is very good. I would love to get some lightning shots but thats something I miss seeing much at all since I moved to Seattle.
07-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #12

I've never been able to get good lightning photos. I guess it is like fireworks but far less predictable. I think you did a good job capturing a very transient phenomena.
07-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
He's always like that Charlie - I told him not to post in any of my threads any more. To some people he is just downright nasty. None of us are pros (and he certainly isn't) so encouragement and friendly advice / C&C are really welcome.
Don't sweat the small stuff guys...it appears to me that he's a pretty sharp kid who has a good point or two but is burdened with something of a big mouth. An excerpt from his interests section: "...attempting to prove myself right—always". Having read through a number of his posts, I don't think he means to be nasty.

A word of friendly and admittedly unsolicited advice to mischivo: Finding out what is actually right might be a more fruitful pursuit than attempting to prove yourself right. Also, something that I've found to be more fun than proving myself right is to prove myself wrong.

Photography content - I dig the photos of lightning over water, but I'm a total hack at photography so what do I know?
07-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Excellent and rare captures - I love them!
07-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

keith....your 2nd composition is terrific... to bad mischivo wasn't on the receiving end.... a little neural stimulation from a lightning bolt may sweeten his disposition.
. btw... he's a canon shooter !!
dave m