Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Successful hunt
Posted By: 8540tomg, 07-04-2010, 06:07 AM

A couple from this morning. This Robin seems to be working over the local bug and worm populations.

I think this is some sort of Swallow but I'm not sure about the particular species. Any ornithological suggestions?

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 02-10-2011 at 03:21 AM. Reason: typo
Views: 4,435
07-06-2010, 02:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm still curious about that Swallow? in image number three. Can anyone ID the particular species?

Tom G

07-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Tom - it could be a Swift not a Swallow. Maybe an Alpine or White throated swift ? Not sure if either are endemic to Ontario !
09-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Tom - it could be a Swift not a Swallow. Maybe an Alpine or White throated swift ? Not sure if either are endemic to Ontario !
Don't think so Froggfish

Been looking in the fieldguide for a while and I'm thinking it is an Eastern Kingbird.

Tom G
09-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Don't think so Froggfish

Been looking in the fieldguide for a while and I'm thinking it is an Eastern Kingbird.

Tom G
Based on the shot, wing bars, head coloration, I would agree with your guess that it's an Eastern KB.

Nice series Tom!

Cheers,
Marc

09-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

You know I have to look and comment anytime you pull out this lens
Thanks for sharing.
I'm clueless about the species.
09-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Hi Tom, that robin's a 'killer' cast my lot with the Eastern Kingbird too.You might of noticed habit of brief foray alof and return to same perch,good give-away from a distance. Done to your usual high standards. Im just not practised and steady enough to use monopod with mine,but Im working on it.
cheers,
Bill
09-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice captures. Didi you need an extension tube to focus close enough with the 400?

The second bird appears to be an eastern kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus - a great scientific name). Most distinctive feature other than black above, gray to white below is a white border at the end of the tail. These birds have a habit of perching upright and watching for bugs, then flying down for the catch, then back to the perch. They have bigger, heavier bills than swallows. Swallows don't like to sit still very long. They're constantly swooping gracefully through the air to catch tiny bugs.

09-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Tom:

Sorry if this is a repeat comment - this computer is being balky.
Excellent captures; about as good as small bird photography gets.
Did you need a short extension tube to focus close enough?
The second bird is an eastern kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus - a great scientific name). Most distinctive feature other than near black above, gray to white below, is a white band along the end of he tail. These birds perch upright and scan for bugs, fly down for the capture then back to the perch. They have bigger bills than swallows. Swallows tend to swoop gracefully for long periods without perching, catching multiple tiny bugs on the wing. Some species (tree swallow) like to fly over open water where there are lots of mosquitoes.
09-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Based on the shot, wing bars, head coloration, I would agree with your guess that it's an Eastern KB.

Nice series Tom!

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc,

After a look through the old field guides I'm pretty sure it's an Eastern Kingbird as well. Agile little guys.

Tom G
09-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
You know I have to look and comment anytime you pull out this lens
Thanks for sharing.
I'm clueless about the species.
Thanks for the kind words Oren.

I'm pretty clueless re: species as well. If it sits still I shoot it and try to figure out the species later.

Tom G
09-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi Tom, that robin's a 'killer' cast my lot with the Eastern Kingbird too.You might of noticed habit of brief foray alof and return to same perch,good give-away from a distance. Done to your usual high standards. Im just not practised and steady enough to use monopod with mine,but Im working on it.
cheers,
Bill
Thanks Bill,

Yes, they do seem to have a favourite perch don't they.

Robins make good subjects for the old M 400/5.6, as they are not as flighty (pun intended) some other species.

I'm quite pleased with my Sherpa Pro carbon fibre monopod and the new Gitzo ballhead I got for it. It makes a fairly manageable package with the K10 + battery grip and M 400/5.6. Not as good as a tripod but a lot easier to carry around. I find if I can brace myself against a car or tree it helps to steady the platform. I'm sure you will master it soon.

Tom G
09-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Dear Tom:

Sorry if this is a repeat comment - this computer is being balky.
Excellent captures; about as good as small bird photography gets.
Did you need a short extension tube to focus close enough?
The second bird is an eastern kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus - a great scientific name). Most distinctive feature other than near black above, gray to white below, is a white band along the end of he tail. These birds perch upright and scan for bugs, fly down for the capture then back to the perch. They have bigger bills than swallows. Swallows tend to swoop gracefully for long periods without perching, catching multiple tiny bugs on the wing. Some species (tree swallow) like to fly over open water where there are lots of mosquitoes.

WPRESTO,

Thanks for the kind words. No extension used with the lens but I probably was shooting close to the minimum focusing distance of 15ft. The image will be cropped as well but not a lot in this case. It was a beautifull summer morning as I recall and the light for the Robin shot was just about perfect.

Cheers

Tom G
09-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

wow, the first two are amazing
09-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
wow, the first two are amazing

Thanks Pablo,

Nothing quite like a bug/worm in the beak shot.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 09-20-2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo