Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Falls 2
Lens: 12-24 Camera: K20 Photo Location: Harrison Lake ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Jimbo, 07-04-2010, 05:04 PM

Still getting crappy weather here so drove out with my daughter to re-shoot at the smae location as last week. Tried a few different sets ups. Cheers JIM

Views: 1,595
07-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow- you really managed to make the water appear smooth as silk! I like the first shot the most, as it seems the sharpest overall, and the best-composed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Congradulations...! Nice shots...
07-05-2010, 02:22 AM   #4

I agree with Adam. The composition, sharpness and smoothness of the water in that first shot is great!

07-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Wow- you really managed to make the water appear smooth as silk! I like the first shot the most, as it seems the sharpest overall, and the best-composed.
Thanks Adam and I agree. It is a challenge to focus on these type of shots. Can not really use auto focus and being just slightly off, like the second one, causes the sharpness to drop. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Congradulations...! Nice shots...
Thank you for your kind words. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I agree with Adam. The composition, sharpness and smoothness of the water in that first shot is great!
THank you. JIM
07-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, love the first one. It looks like a painting! Awesome!

(When I was learning, I used to go out and run the hose and prop it up on something. change my SS and other settings accordingly and take many many pictures...come in side, upload and see how the SS affected the running water out of the hose. Wish I had something like this too shoot back then (now too) to see the affects of the dif. shutter speeds. Looks like a beautiful location)
07-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I really like these pictures! One suggestion I have is for the third picture, maybe try to get some detail in the white area at the top of the frame. It looks like just a white circle in the middle without any detail, and it kind of jumps out because it's really bright white. Maybe you could clone some detail in if there isn't any there. But that's a really minor quibble. In the second picture, you might try less sharpness on the foreground rocks, just to see if it looks better - it's kind of in-between sharpness now, so and it'd be easy to blur it a little more. It reminds me of a picture I took with a foreground rock where I saw the aperture was 8, and I wanted a little extra insurance, so I turned the control one stop for 9.5. Except I turned it the wrong way and got 6.7. That rock looks just like this one, and now that I think about it maybe I'll go back and try blurring it.

Sorry if I missed it but where exactly is this location?

Paul
07-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really like the last one! I like the perspective and the colors.

07-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Really beautiful as in the first series, Jim! I like the last shot most, there is that nice opening in the distant, is that the lake where the creek ends? It gives depth and continuation to the image.