Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Hummingbird with full wing extension detail @ 600mm, 1/250 sec.
Posted By: Marc Langille, 07-05-2010, 07:08 PM

Normally I don't take many (or post) hummer images of them on a feeder, but the image clarity and wing feather details really caught my eye on this shot.

It's an uncropped shot, taken from approx. 12 feet away. Image is approx. 33% of the actual size:

Link to the larger image (worth a look!): http://www.marclangille.com/photos/924531776_nhe7G-X3.jpg

Pentax K10D
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec.
Aperture: F/7.1
Focal length: 600mm
ISO 320
AV mode
Metering: center weighted

Support system:
Gitzo 3541XLS CF tripod
Wimberley WH-200 gimbal head
Wimberley P50 lens plate

I hope you enjoy the image!

Cheers,
Marc

UPDATE:

I've been notified of interest in a total buy out of the image from the VP of Marketing at Daisy Outdoor Products, the manufacturer of the feeder. First Nature Outdoor Products is the brand name of the feeder sold by Daisy (the same BB gun manufacturer) and they want exclusive rights to this image - a total buy out.

I've let them know that I'll offer exclusive reproduction rights (not the copyright - it's mine) for the North American market. So long as they have exclusive use of the image, that satisfies them and their current distribution to US and Canada. There is already an inquiry on the cost to add the Central and South American markets to those reproduction rights. Negotiations are in progress...

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 07-07-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Views: 10,899
07-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You do love those birds Marc. I won't add too much because it has all been said. Just shows I have so much more to learn! JIM

07-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc... not only did you capture a special moment, with a great subject, but you raised my ambitions regarding my K10D. I put out our hummingbird feeder a couple weeks ago, and haven't seen hide nor hair, or feather, of any of our resident hummers since? I'm going to sweeten up the solution right now!
07-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

It was definitely a compliment all the way around. Not everyone can own a lense like that, so it's nice to see it wasn't wasted on someone with lots of money and no talent.
09-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone and I am pleased to announce...

QuoteOriginally posted by Almost Paradise Quote
Detail we could only imagine without the camera, thank you for sharing such a great shot.

If i see it on a box someday I'll buy the feeder.

I've sold exclusive commercial reproduction rights of this image to First Nature Outdoor Products (owned by Daisy) for their North, Central and South American markets.

This image will be used in their marketing efforts on packaging, etc. I am guessing it will be featured sometime soon in Wal-Mart and any stores that carry First Nature Hummingbird feeders in North, Central and South America. The reason I saw this is because they want it by tomorrow - or else...

Whew....

09-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

/
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
[FONT=Verdana]
I've sold exclusive commercial reproduction rights of this image to First Nature Outdoor Products (owned by Daisy) for their North, Central and South American markets.
Congrats... so do you need to destroy this online copy now?
09-14-2010, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
/

Congrats... so do you need to destroy this online copy now?
Thanks!

Regarding your question: No sir.

I retain the image for portfolio usage, etc. I can sell a print to a private client (unlikely) if I desire. The image copyright remains with the photographer, but only Daisy/First Nature Outdoor Products may ever use the image for commercial purposes. Anyone else is referred to me and those terms are in the contract.
09-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Beautiful!!!

09-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Good thing we have you as an ambassador for these little guys mark
congratulations
09-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oren and Bill, I am glad you enjoyed viewing the image - thank you both!

Regards,
Marc
09-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Boy, I am glad I returned to your post, to see the latter series! Without the feeder these shots are somehow more "live" compared the first one, love them!
I have a new series posted Georg - flying and perched in natural surroundings... please enjoy!

Regards,
Marc
09-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alsterling Quote
Marc... not only did you capture a special moment, with a great subject, but you raised my ambitions regarding my K10D. I put out our hummingbird feeder a couple weeks ago, and haven't seen hide nor hair, or feather, of any of our resident hummers since? I'm going to sweeten up the solution right now!
The K10D is a good camera - it's just not made for birding. Call me stubborn...

Cheers,
Marc
09-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
You do love those birds Marc. I won't add too much because it has all been said. Just shows I have so much more to learn! JIM
Thank you Jim!

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Very nice Hummer pics Marc
I have been trying to attract them without luck at my house.
Come on over - you are welcome anytime.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Marc: Awesome! - on so many levels.
Thank you Paul - they are very happy too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
Amazing details!
Thank you Joni - hope you are doing well and I am certain I've missed a lot of your wonderful posts.

Best,
Marc
10-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
It was definitely a compliment all the way around. Not everyone can own a lense like that, so it's nice to see it wasn't wasted on someone with lots of money and no talent.
A very sincere thank you Jodokast. It's obviously a significant investment, but I'm glad I spent the money on the best possible support system. That allows me to concentrate on the learning of the nuances of the longer focal length lens.

Regards,
Marc
10-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Image Recognition

Some recognition of this image and it's eventual appearance on First Nature Hummingbird feeder packing and banners.

Pentax was kind enough to post it on their Facebook site: Pentax's Photos - Wall Photos

Sincerely,
Marc
10-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Some recognition of this image and it's eventual appearance on First Nature Hummingbird feeder packing and banners.

Pentax was kind enough to post it on their Facebook site: Pentax's Photos - Wall Photos

Sincerely,
Marc
Noticed this on Facebook Marc. Congrats!