Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Self Portrait / Head shot Photo
Lens: FA50mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Geelong ISO: 100 Aperture: F1.8 
Posted By: Christopher M.W.T, 07-06-2010, 03:28 AM

Self Portrait, using remote, timer and all natural light.

PP in CS5 to desaturate image, add contrast, also applied minor curves adjustments.

Please feel free to give feedback, thanks.

Views: 2,573
07-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Lighting is just a little to harsh on the right side and could def. use fill on the left (reflector). The shadow cutting across the chest is a distraction and appears to be the top of a window (maybe adjust the heighth at which you are posing to eliminate). Compositionally it just misses for me. It looks as though you are lurching forward and possibly crouching down into the picture and seems unnatural. I think that you are on the right track though. The lighting situation looks like it could really come out nice given another oppertunity. Good job!
07-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Whilst I agree it/you look/s slightly unnatural, I think the lighting is great. The shadow on the chest is no distraction for me. Maybe it's the hair product, I don't know.
07-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Because this is a composed set shot and not a candid I thunk that the shadow along the chest should be addressed. If you were having a portrait done and you got the photos back and there was a top of a window sitting across your chest would you be happy? And Judging by the sharp edges of the shadows on the left shoulder the lighting is too harsh. Perhaps waiting for the sun to get a little higher in the sky would help or a reflector for fill. If this were a candid it would be great but it is not. (a candid). I am not trying to be rude just giving constructive criticism.

07-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback.

I shot it me with directly in the window so there was nothing to soften or diff use the light.
07-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jasonadams Quote
Because this is a composed set shot and not a candid I thunk that the shadow along the chest should be addressed. If you were having a portrait done and you got the photos back and there was a top of a window sitting across your chest would you be happy? And Judging by the sharp edges of the shadows on the left shoulder the lighting is too harsh. Perhaps waiting for the sun to get a little higher in the sky would help or a reflector for fill. If this were a candid it would be great but it is not. (a candid). I am not trying to be rude just giving constructive criticism.
Im curious actually when you say candid as opposed to non-candid, thanks
07-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I think the shot is great and I'm a fan of the lighting as well. We don't have to be fearful of darker shadows and I like the way this looks.

My personal choice for this photo would be to shave a bit off of the left side and the bottom in crop (this would tame the "unnatural" look of the photo), otherwise I think it's a winner.

c[_]
07-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Candid 4 : relating to or being photography of subjects acting naturally or spontaneously without being posed

As for the inability to diffuse try waiting for a time of day when the sun is not directly coming through the window.

The sun, as odd as it sounds, when coming directly through a window acts as a small light. Small light=harsh shadows. Waiting for the sun to move up a bit and out of the direct area creates a big light and less harsh shadows.

Last edited by jasonadams; 07-17-2010 at 01:31 PM.
07-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Candid 4 : relating to or being photography of subjects acting naturally or spontaneously without being posed

As for the inability to diffuse try waiting for a time of day when the sun is not directly coming through the window.

The sun, as odd as it sounds, when coming directly through a window acts as a small light. Small light=harsh shadows. Waiting for the sun to move up a bit and out of the direct area creates a big light and less harsh shadows.
Thanks for that explanation and the sketch.

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I think the shot is great and I'm a fan of the lighting as well. We don't have to be fearful of darker shadows and I like the way this looks.

My personal choice for this photo would be to shave a bit off of the left side and the bottom in crop (this would tame the "unnatural" look of the photo), otherwise I think it's a winner.

c[_]
Thanks, actually an extras casting agency is happy to use it for my pic. They didn't even want to bother using their own guy to take shots....
07-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The lighting is fine. If you do the classical light setup, then your shot looks like the boring, stamped out commercial portrait studio shot which is a total, yawn.
07-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Obviously these types of things are subjective. Here is an example of what I was talking about.

Last edited by jasonadams; 07-17-2010 at 01:31 PM.
07-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Obviously these types of things are subjective. Here is an example of what I was talking about.
Decidedly boring if you ask me, but that's just my subjective opinion. Not meaning to be rude, just offering you some constructive criticism...

Crop is better though, although I would have still cropped off some from the left instead of the right.

c[_]
07-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Interpreted more simply: avoid direct sunlight.

High or low contrast is an aesthetic choice each can make independently: this isn't a rule of thumb.