Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Water Sport!
Posted By: D4rknezz, 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM

CC welcome

Edited:

Sometimes I am not sure why I am really off! I guess this should have been in critique forum. I posted this on my network page too, and it has received overwhelmingly no comments. I thought it was pretty good picture myself. Anyone can maybe tell me what the problem is with this picture? Thanks in advance

Last edited by D4rknezz; 07-07-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Views: 2,065
07-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just because you like your photo, doesn't make it good. People tend to be biased towards their own: everyone thinks their kids are the cutest, their spouses the most beautiful, their grass the greenest, and etc. This photo is nothing special; had I taken it (and I do take many bad photo, as does absolutely everyone), I wouldn't even think of sharing it. It appears to me that you've tried to remedy that by post-processing it to oblivion, and then, for unknown reasons, throwing in a second copy in red. Why red? Why not another colour, or a pattern, or a rainbow effect? Post-processing is fine, everyone does it, but it yields the best results when it isn't obvious. The ugly watermark in obnoxiously large, poorly-chosen typeface that spans three lines, does not add anything positive. I would not visit your website after coming across this image.

P.S. Where's the sport? Splashing isn't athletic. I also thought this was going to be something more... risque.

Last edited by mischivo; 07-07-2010 at 01:21 PM.
07-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually I didnt realize I took a bad photo, so I didnt try and remedy it with post-processing: Post processing is what I do for a calling, photography is something I picked up later. I realize by saying this you will probably think my post processing skills is really terrible too. LoL.

The ugly watermark actually is my signature, i thought it was fine being there with the water, emphasizing the splash, didnt think of it as being obnoxious.

I guess there isnt any sport, I should have called it splashing in water in restrospect, however i wonder if anyone would actually check it at all with that title. Though, this title really isnt doing me a favour at all either.

To be honest, i was trying to replicate the following processed shot : Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem
and this shot Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem

The last one had the hair done in such a way so that it would behave that way.

I was trying to emulate that shot, but with a male. I guess, subject matter is important. I wonder, will my shot still be bad if it was a good looking female? What do you think?

Anyway, thanks for commenting. You may have said what most people thought, but not voiced. I will have to rethink my whole...err..approach.
07-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For my part, I would not be so harsh in my comments. The picture is not bad, just nothing special either. I don't like the red one, but then I like natural images. There doesn't need to be anything "wrong" with a picture to prevent it from being a "good" one

07-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find the image to be overprocessed. Nothing particularly special about it, sorry. The watermark is no worse than any other, but that doesn't say much :-)

And yes, a beautiful woman could help. Marketers have known that for a long, long time.
07-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Will work on subject matter .
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
Inactive Account

First pic is OK. It looks a little out of focus (person) and is pretty contrasty (for my liking). The second image doesn't work for me as a photo - maybe for digital imaging it might (but I'm not knowledgeable in this area).

As for the watermark....there's nothing wrong with it. I don't care how big or intrusive it is, as I've had several images stolen from me that has cost me thousands in revenue. When this occurs you become a bit more understanding of it's need. Mine is getting bigger and more intrusive because of this. As for it being 3 lines and of a poor font choice - that comment is absolutely absurd and is WAY out of line.

c[_]

07-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
First pic is OK. It looks a little out of focus (person) and is pretty contrasty (for my liking). The second image doesn't work for me as a photo - maybe for digital imaging it might (but I'm not knowledgeable in this area).

As for the watermark....there's nothing wrong with it. I don't care how big or intrusive it is, as I've had several images stolen from me that has cost me thousands in revenue. When this occurs you become a bit more understanding of it's need. Mine is getting bigger and more intrusive because of this. As for it being 3 lines and of a poor font choice - that comment is absolutely absurd and is WAY out of line.

c[_]
My comments are never out of line.

How did you manage to lose thousands of dollars with only several images? It seems to me that you do a lot of wedding photography and family stuff. What was lost?
07-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The shot would make a great advertisement photo for a cool and refreshing soft drink. Put a product in the conner and there you go. But I'd turn the saturation down on the person some.