Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

m8o in Tanzania '07 (the flood of images has begun!)
Posted By: m8o, 08-15-2007, 12:34 PM

<UPDATE>
All pictures can be found under here:
Tanzania 2007 | m8o | Fotki.com

I'll be posting what I think to be the 'pick of the litter' in this thread here. Still at least a week to maybe two to get through all the RAWs.
</UPDATE>

ok, this is just a TEASE! The worst kind as a matter of fact as it doesn't come with pics!!! But I can't upload 10 meg RAWs, let alone unprocessed from the camera here, over satellite from the Ngorongoro Crater rim! Taking from the animals I've seen, I'm marking my territory for later use!

Leave for the great plain tomorrow and only have minutes of satellite time left, so I won't be able to reply. Keep watching; will not dissapoint when you start seeing the RAWs converted to JPEG next week from both the Sigma 300mm f/2.8 (with the necessary 1.4x or 2x TCs) and the Pentax 12-24mm f/4 (1st time I've been happy with it) ... from Tangire (sic) Preserve, Gibbs Farm, Ngorongoro Crater Preserve, and Serengeti Preserve.

Oh, and I ran into someone who I thought was new member here, daveinaz! But I can't find him here. He must be on another forum. That was a kick still! I didn't think to ask his itinerary to know if we'd be travelling the same place again tho. Great meeting you Dave when if you read this here and become a member.

l8r all,
-steve

(I learned how to say "see you later" in Swahilli (sic) but it excapes me @ the moment! )

Last edited by m8o; 08-29-2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: content change
Views: 17,024
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
... Dunno if you'll check in again Mech. I thought I'd come back to this older post as there's a show on PBS at this very moment called "Seeing in the Dark" about armature astronomy ... pertinent to this post is they stated due to light pollution in recent times, only 1 in 5 people (dunno if it was 'the world' or the 'USA') have ever seen the Milky Way with their naked eyes.

...I take comfort in knowing I'm not alone in that case! Yes, you are very lucky. In my case, the security guard of the 1st camp we were in, Tarangire, who patrolled the long camp along a ridge, protecting us against wild animals with a bow and arrow, had to chase me inside. I could not rip myself away from the view once I look up; my wife, she couldn't care. The guard wouldn't leave until I went inside however, for my own protection. ...I snuck out later...
I am going to have to walk out into my backyard and setup the tripod and wide angle lens one clear night and get some shots then.

Lucky for me I am on property and just over an hour out of the city ... so the night skies are clear.

08-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
p.s. GUILTY AS CHARGED! I did lean towards keeping the aperture wider for both that, and to maximize OOF blur.

My wife if going w/o me with her parents to China this summer. (they're getting old so they are cramming in the last of their major travel these past few years) I decided not to go because:
1) wicked hot in the summer
2) worried about pollution @ this point in time there
3) they'll be passing through as the Olympics start ... it's already crowded; will be insanely crowded.
4) It's mostly a bus tour, when not on the boat (I would have loved the 6 day on the boat part)
5) They're going on for a 3rd week to Vietnam... I had to get back to go to work. And I couldn't book my own flying arraignments or be sure of what seat I would get on the plane. You know as a single flier that I'd get stuck in the middle of 3 seats. As a 6'2" guy, middleaged and a bit overweight (not too badly thankfully) I'm not going to put myself in a position to live that misery for 12 or 15 hours.
6) Care of my 3 dogs and some issues surrounding them.

...so, no epic journey this year. I do want to go to the Galapagos w/just the wife myself; not a tour with the in-laws.
The Pro wildlife shooter Andy Rouse, gives in his book “Life in the wild”, various tips on wildlife photography. On animals in landscape, he writes : “The common perception in wildlife photography is that the bigger the image in the frame the better. Well, I beg to differ. I love photographing my hares small in the frame, so that their habitat dominates the picture. Of cause, this is not always possible and it does need either a spectacular setting or exceptional light, which is not in my power to control. But I am always looking for the opportunity.”

Andy oftens stops down to f/11, to make sure everything is pin-sharp in the image.

On Teleconverters, he writes : “Unfortunately, I really needed to be in closer, but walking towards the mother would have caused her stress and may have provoked an attack. I was forced to use my least favourite accessory – a 2x teleconverter. I use 1.4x teleconverters all the time with great results, but the 2x versions are dark and gloomy cousins.”

Walter did some great bird photography with the Sigma 500/4.5. And others are hoping for a DA* 400/4 or f/2.8 lens, in the next roadmap.

Still looking forward to your pictures of Giraffes fighting, and from the balloon ride at dawn. That must have been an amazing site.
12-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #48
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
[Post 1 of 3]

OK, so where I left off this past June of this year (this being Dec. 30, 2008) with these photos taken in Aug. of 2007, :ugh: (self-proclaimed "greatest procrastinator" here), I was covering day 5 or 10, covering the Avians & some 'amorous' behavior of the day by the 'African Venison' & Hyenas. Not shared from the day were...

There were some Lions Feeding on the Plain... (photos were not nearly as good as some I got later, some of which were shared on the previous page)

Ummm.... Funny pose.

Some more "Ham ala Tanzania"

I don't believe I remember seeing any of the "Plains Elephants" in Ngorongoro, rather I think the only ones I saw were the "Forest Elephants"

Who have the long straight ivory tusks.

Observed above is the dis-advantage of having a 2x mounted on the 300mm and not having an extra body w/a wide angle on it. When you're stuck in a land rover that has to stay on the trail and you're too close.

However, perfect example of when 600mm isn't enough even given how large these Stinky Hippos are.

So I cropped...

Yes... We're looking @ you!

...Muck...

...& Dry...

(these two are 'pano-able')

Last edited by m8o; 12-31-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added post numbers to the last 3
12-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #49
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[Post 2 of 3]

And thankfully the crater has facilities to allow for a sometimes much needed bio-brake!
(I put the wide angle on for these, dust be damned!)

Last edited by m8o; 12-30-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added post numbers to the last 3
12-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #50
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[Post 3 of 3]

And so many Beasties & Bulls...
(dunno if you know, but these Cape Buffalo are some of the most dangerous animals on the plain)

(I love what the dried foliage does for this shot below.)

Lunch Time!

So so many Beasties...

Beastie Parts (again, when 600mm is a hindrance)

And So so much Dust

Horns aplenty...

Err... Umm... Mooooo...

Ok, that's it for tonight, and until who knows when. I was a bit dismayed when I realized this was just day 5 out of 10 and these are 1 1/2 years old. Ugh.... At least only 4 and not 5 more days to go (I did the last day 1st). Someone nominate me for the "worst procrastinator of the decade".

Last edited by m8o; 12-30-2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added post numbers to the last 3
12-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #51
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The "who knows when" from the previous post has been these past few days of this year. I'm committed to updating my gallery and this thread this same day, even if it is one year later! So here we go...

When scanning thru some pictures I'd already processed, I somehow picked this one to check the original, and found features that heavy cropping and processing had removed from my previous finishing of the image.

My previous finishing:

And what I realized I'd thrown away:

This comes from is one of my most visited albums, which much to my surprise I'd never linked to here,
070815 - [In&Out o/t Dust-Bowl - REDUX] Ngorongoro Crater Conservation album | m8o | Fotki.com .
Have a visit if you did not find it already for some nice wide angle scenery of the spectacular crater.
12-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #52
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Leaving Ngorongoro, we headed towards the Serengeti. ...long rough drive in very dusty conditions. The only wildlife we came across really were Giraffe.

We made a stop in the location where by Louis and Mary Leakey spent much of their lives excavating the fossil records of the life of earliest man:

Back underway...

We come to the Gateway of the Serengeti!

We came in from the right

And we leave down that road to the left of center into the Serengeti

(using a 2x TC on long glass in such overcast conditions make stopping down a impossible past a point)

where we expect to see a good sampling of...
12-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #53
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All the travel photos of the previous post found here: 070816 - [Travel and Oldupai Gorge] Ngorongoro to Serengeti album | m8o | Fotki.com

We had some nice close avian action much like any visitor's center around the world where the birds have come to expect humans having a snack; some are known to swoop in and steal unattended food left on the table...

What's with those "angry eyes"?!

All the Avians found here: 070816 - [Avian] Ngorongoro to Serengeti album | m8o | Fotki.com

and on the rock outcropping where the landscape photo was taken above, some leezardz that were quite skittish but not to the extreme that I couldn't get a few good shots off.

A few more of the Leezardz found here: 070816 - [Lizards] Ngorongoro to Serengeti album | m8o | Fotki.com

One of out very first animal encounters is also one of my biggest failings due to technical difficulties. My Sigma 300/2.8's rear element/aperture screws loosened and the camera could no longer detect the lens. So before I figured out how to switch to completely manual and set everything up, this male was majestically looking off into the distance. However when I finally got setup, he put his head down and would not budge.

There was a Cheetah off in the weeds... example when 600mm is not enough, as this is also even cropped.

Some more of the above photos found here: 070816 - [Lion and Cheeta] Ngorongoro to Serengeti album | m8o | Fotki.com

The Topi are very prevalent in the Serengeti

(love this one)

We finally arrived at our accommodations in the Southern Serengeti.

...Upcoming will be perhaps the single best day I had in regards to Giraffe and Lions...

01-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #54
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So anyone out there? Haven't had a another post in here for quite a while. Wondering if anyone still cares I'm doing this? I'll keep it up regardless tho until I get thru the whole trip.

As I've said before, some of my best days about to come over the next 3 days of the safari. Hope it doesn't take me another 2 years go pp them tho.

Jason, you you see this as you made mention of looking forward to see this... [ahem] a few years ago. I know I'm stretching the validity of "better late than never"... Getting to it:

I thought these Giraffe were being affectionate. I was corrected by our driver/guide that they were fighting; mating rights, dominance, bragging rights? dunno, but it wasn't affection. I didn't realize until converting these that the darker one was pretty much beating-up on the lighter colored one. Little add'l narrative needed this post. All pictures here: 070817 - [Jousting Giraffe] Serengeti National Park album | m8o | Fotki.com (56 shots). First few were taken at f/4, ISO 640 as the morning overcast hadn't burned-off yet, and I needed the shutter speed. I soon went to f/6.3 ISO800 [various shutter speeds around 1/500] for the remainder.

It started as shoving

Then escalated to use of the horns. This lasted a long time.

The light colored one finally takes a few shots in

Alright, you distract him while I...

And then it just sort of broke-up...

01-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those giraffe fighting pictures are very funny. If only all animals and humans fought so gentle and meticulously.
Will also be looking forward to the balloon ride pictures at dawn.

On a sidenote, you’re putting way to many pictures in each post. Many resemble each other, but more importantly it takes forever to load the thread. I would imagine many would give up, if they have to start from page 1.
Dominique only encloses one picture, pr. post he makes :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/56175-south-luangwa-np-l...es-photos.html
01-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This thread rocks m8o thanks for sharing it with all of us. I'm terribly jealous!
01-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #57
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Mate, I've just come across these and I'm very impressed and amused by them.
Your Kenyan escapades are wonderfully documented - you got to see and do a lot more than I got to.
01-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Amazing photographic tour that took me to a part of the world I wil never be fortunate enough to see
01-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Nice work m8o ... I really like that rocky outcrop shot halfway up the page ... shame you weren't able to get a different vantage point to get another shot of it.

The fighting giraffes are amusing ... looks gentle in these photos ... but man they can get a few decent hits in when they get a good swing in.