Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Is this a Northern Shrike?
Lens: Sigma 150-500mm Camera: kx Photo Location: Modesto ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: swglera, 07-15-2010, 06:08 PM

I've seen a couple of Loggerhead Shrikes in this part of Central California, but this one seems to be a little different. Any shrike experts out there?

Attached Images

Views: 2,501
07-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Check the almost Hawk like curved downward beak..one of the signs of a Shrike. We have them up here and it looks like a Northern Shrike to me. I was in a forested area this past winter and one flew past, low and fast..chasing down a Black Capped Chickadee.

Don't know it got it, but the Shrike's flight reminded me of a Interceptor Jet fighter...with the speed and maneuverbility,
07-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks very close to the Northern Shrike in my book, black mask is the same, beak is identical, but the book shows a bit darker grey above the mask across the eyes. This might be your picture, not the bird itself. Due to the ambient lighting, the grey may be showing up lighter than it actually is. I think it's a Northern Shrike.
07-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a nice shot! I'm not a Shrike expert, I've only ever saw one and had to look it up. There's a lot on the web about ID. Looking in my Audubon book and online, the banding on the head makes it look like a Loggerhead, but the bill looks larger than the Loggerhead below. Everything I've read says there are variations, below is a Loggerhead Shrike in the Badlands (I think it is anyway)

07-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
After careful consideration of the expert opinions set forth, I hereby declare that this is officially a Northern Shrike. Thanks everyone!
12-13-2023, 06:25 PM   #6

Northern Shrike

The photo of the Shrike that is posted appears to be a Loggerhead Shrike with it's wide black face band and very little white around the eye.as well as the clear white breast and belly. Also the image was taken on 7/15/2010 which in during the middle of breeding season for the Northern Shrike which breeds in Northern Canada and is uncommon in California during the Winter. The Loggerhead Shrike can be found in California in all seasons.