Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
To Orton or Not to Orton...
Lens: Pentax 50-200mm Camera: Pentax k200d Photo Location: Northern Adirondacks ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F27 
Posted By: Tamia, 07-16-2010, 05:21 AM

I've been playing around with the Orton effect and am not sure whether I prefer it in this case or not. The first is "straight" and the second is "ortoned."

Not "Ortoned"

"Ortoned"

Views: 1,809
07-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to orton...I think. The first is smooth enough as-is.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Adam on this one. I prefer the first shot.

Tom G
07-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for helping me to sort this out by offering your opinions, Adam and Tom.

07-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

Another vote for the first shot, it looks great as is.
07-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The first "undoctored" shot it is. You guys have convinced me. Thanks!
07-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the color and motion in the first photo as well.
I'm not a huge fan of the orton effect but I have seen some very good photos using it. It works well on the second photo for a more impressionistic but maybe just a tad less blur would have been better. IMO

I really like what you do with water. I have a ND filter in the mail which I plan to start doing more water shots. I am really looking forward to it.

07-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I like the color and motion in the first photo as well.
I'm not a huge fan of the orton effect but I have seen some very good photos using it. It works well on the second photo for a more impressionistic but maybe just a tad less blur would have been better. IMO

I really like what you do with water. I have a ND filter in the mail which I plan to start doing more water shots. I am really looking forward to it.
OrenMc, I agree with you that the Ortonized photo is more impressionistic. I do love the abstract and impressionistic nature of water, but for showing hydraulics to paddlers, for instance, the more realistic presentation probably works better.

Thanks for your kind words. Most of my slow shutter speed water shots these days are hand-held and taken on overcast days. I really need ND filters, because I only have a polarizer and that's not enough on bright days. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts. Water is an endlessly fascinating subject.
07-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would go with the nonOrton version. For some reason, the water in the Orton version has the texture of cotton candy.
07-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

OK, sue me, but I like the Orton version too. Both are good, the unmodified is probably the better shot, but I like the tinkered version too, it looks good.
07-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments, Rob and Pete. Rob, I've often noticed that "cotton candy" look in slow shutter speed shots where there's a lot of aeration in the water. When zooming in closer, those white streaks are often revealed as bright scribbles. Gives an interesting glimpse of the movement of bubbles and reflections in moving water.

Pete, I do love the colors and depth that the Orton process conveys to pictures. Makes them artistic. I think what I conclude from comparing these two photos is that each would work in different situations and for different purposes.