Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Various Nature Shots
Lens: Makinon 135, Pentax 50mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Texas 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 07-17-2010, 03:18 PM

Did another road trip to Texas, had some work to do on my mother's house, and of course got in several photo excursions. Here are a few various shots that came out pretty good.

These are in no particular order...most were taken with the Makinon 135mm f2.8 lens, some with the SMC Pentax A 50mm f1.4. All at ISO 200, my usual setting.

Saw a grasshopper jump into the bushes, finally found a spot I could get a shot of it peeking out at me. It kept moving behind the stem to hide, but I got a couple of shots anyway.

ON a day trip to Louisiana, my sister and I stopped at a bridge on Sam Rayburn Lake to get a couple of shots, this dragonfly was sitting there and I couldn't resist. Taken with the 50mm lens.

Stopped along the roadside to get some flower shots, and a bee showed up to do his thing. Got this shot with the 50mm I think.

This bee was really cool looking, red and black and let me get pretty close.

Then Bambi showed up. I followed this little guy down the road about 100 yards, taking pictures all the way, and got a half dozen nice ones. Here it was about 10 feet away walking toward me, I actually had to back up to get everything in the frame, and missed a hoof anyway.

I don't know how the ear got messed up, and wondered where mama was, I'm not entirely sure this deer is not now an orphan. She would have gotten the little one away from me long ago, I followed it for a half hour or so. Thought it was going to walk right up to me, but 6 or 8 feet was as close as it got before finally running off into the woods. I think it may have lasted a lot longer if someone hadn't pulled out of their driveway about a half minute after this shot was taken, then it was over. When they pulled onto the road, the deer scooted, but I motioned to them and they were good enough to stop for a few seconds so I could get in another shot or two.

Click on each picture to open full size version
Views: 1,613
07-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All are fantastic, but that dragonfly shot is the winner here. Fantastic color and composition!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really like your dragonfly shot. I think your photos are very are all very sharp.
07-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you both. I love that dragonfly shot, the lighting was perfect, and the angle I was able to shoot made it a great shot all the way around. I got about a dozen shots of that one, this was by far the best. It was windy so he was shifting his wings constantly to adjust, this shot just happened to be the right time and right place.

No editing was done on any of these, I just cropped and that's all. This is exactly what came out of the K-x. I finally tweaked the settings to get good contrast and saturation. I mostly shoot on Bright, exposure at +1, 200 ISO and Av since it's a manual lens. I started tinkering with Natural today, nothing exceptional but I'm still tweaking.

07-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding!! The colors and composition are beautiful.
07-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Judd, I'm finally getting used to manual focus again and got the camera settings the way I wanted, I should be getting lots more nice shots in the future. The 135mm lens gives me fits, but for close up insect shots, the 50mm is doing really well. For the deer though, the 135mm did a fine job. I was really pleased with several pictures in that set.
07-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Banned

Love them, especially the dragonfly.

07-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Vaughn, I guess the dragonfly is the hit of this set, it seems to be well liked. I may have gotten one very similar this afternoon, not sure yet I haven't transferred them to computer yet, still on the camera. If I got anything good it'll be lucky shots, it was windy and all I saw was insects, so I may be deleting a lot of pictures tonight. But I shot the same dragonfly in similar lighting, he only stayed around for one or two shots, I have no idea what they look like yet.
07-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WOW, Pete, those are great shots, especially the grasshopper and dragonfly. Good work.
07-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Tamia, I thought the grasshopper was a really cool shot, took some maneuvering to get an angle I could see him at all. I always like trying for shots like that, and they're always trying to hide so it's a challenge. It's one of my favorites of my insect shots so far, along with the dragonfly.