Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Door into Summer
Lens: DA 21 Camera: K20D Photo Location: A Lake in Southern Illinois 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-18-2010, 04:46 PM

My K20D became a time machine a week ago while my wife and I were visiting - for the first time in years - our home town (Mt. Vernon, IL) to attend a memorial service for her brother. During our stay, we grabbed an afternoon to cruise our (primarily my) old teenage haunts, including a small lake north of town. In 1960, my Dad (who passed over in '95) bought a tiny cabin on the lake (one of twenty or so cabins comprising a 100+ year-old club that remains vital today); during my high school and college years, I practically lived there in the summer sailing, water skiing, sneaking cigarettes and generally being an obnoxious teenager.

The cabin brought joy to three generations; after my wife and I were married we visited every summer and our two daughters loved the place (delighting my parents). Both girls learned to water ski on this little lake. The cabin stayed with us for over four decades, but a couple of years after my Mom (RIP) had a severe stroke and we brought her to Texas, it became clear she could never live on her own again, and we sadly sold it after 44 years of family ownership.

I hadn't intended to take pictures, but the place has changed so little, it was - as Heinlein might have said - so temporally dislocating I couldn't help grabbing my camera and taking a few shots. Sorry for the long-winded preamble, but for all you first-stage baby boomers, I hope these lazy, hazy summer shots bring back the smells of beef on charcoal and outboard motor exhaust; the buzz of the Indy 500 on the radio, the feel of a ski rope pulling on your shoulders, and the sound of two glasspacks racking off when you let up on the gas pedal.

Jer

Our cabin was (and remains) the smallest in the club - Dad paid $750 for it; we think it was built around 1915:

The (continually) rebuilt dock behind the cabin; the only thing missing is a 1970 blue and white Glastron with a 55-HP Evinrude:

The club beach; for time immemorial the club has brought in sand for the "beach" in the summer. The old white Sunfish sits right where my similar (wooden!) Sailfish sat 40 years ago (gives me the willies!):

Here she is. My Dad added the aluminum windows and the glass under the eves during the late '60's; other than the A/C, the place looks exactly as it did when I was a teenage PITA:

Views: 1,838
07-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you must have had a great time! Thanks for sharing

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Nice series Jer.It's neat to take a nostalgic trip down memory lane every now and then.----charliezap
07-19-2010, 03:22 AM   #4

nice back story that brought the picture alive =) good to hear that you had a great time.

07-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nicely crafted jer... the story and pics... my wife, daughter and i have been blessed to spend time in a lake front cottage on lake chautauqua, new york.... my wife's mom is the owner... a precious and coveted relaxation destination....(going there soon)
thanks for sharing jer, dave m
07-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome Jer!!!

and thank you for bringing back memories of our family cabin on Flathead Lake, MT. I spent my childhood growing up there during the summer and a few years ago I took my daughter up there. My Nana passed away last year and I'm not sure what's going to happen to the cabin. I am hoping it stays in the family for the future grandkids.
07-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hard not to have great memories of a place like this where it sounds like so much happiness was abound. Awesome story Jer. I too go back to by home town once a year. My dad is still around. 82 and countiung. JIM

07-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like you must have had a great time! Thanks for sharing
I did indeed - what a trip to the past.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice series Jer.It's neat to take a nostalgic trip down memory lane every now and then.----charliezap
Thanks, Capn. It is important to revisit roots on occasion.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Wilson_Kx Quote
nice back story that brought the picture alive =) good to hear that you had a great time.
Thanks much. It's uncanny how much these shots reflect the look of the place 40 years ago!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
very nicely crafted jer... the story and pics... my wife, daughter and i have been blessed to spend time in a lake front cottage on lake chautauqua, new york.... my wife's mom is the owner... a precious and coveted relaxation destination....(going there soon)
thanks for sharing jer, dave m
Dave, I appreciate the kind words. I've always heard Lake Chautauqua is wonderful - enjoy, enjoy.

Jer
07-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cregar Quote
Awesome Jer!!!

and thank you for bringing back memories of our family cabin on Flathead Lake, MT. I spent my childhood growing up there during the summer and a few years ago I took my daughter up there. My Nana passed away last year and I'm not sure what's going to happen to the cabin. I am hoping it stays in the family for the future grandkids.
Hey thanks much. A cabin on a lake is like nothing else - I hope it'll remain in your future.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Hard not to have great memories of a place like this where it sounds like so much happiness was abound. Awesome story Jer. I too go back to by home town once a year. My dad is still around. 82 and countiung. JIM
Thanks so much, old buddy. I appreciate it and I'm betting your Dad'll be with us for a long time.

Jer
07-23-2010, 04:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the pictures and the story, Jer. It looks like a magical place. There have been places like that in my past, but never for long enough to create the memories you have.

Richard.
07-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice place, great story, thanks for sharing....
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Thanks for the pictures and the story, Jer. It looks like a magical place. There have been places like that in my past, but never for long enough to create the memories you have.

Richard.
Thanks for the very nice thought, Richard.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Nice place, great story, thanks for sharing....
Hey thanks much, my friend.

Jer