Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A future project...
Lens: smc-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited Camera: K20D Photo Location: Nova Scotia, Canada ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: paulyrichard, 07-20-2010, 03:23 AM

...I spotted this scene from the roadside while travelling in Dartmouth NS, Canada. I was quite awestruck by it’s almost life-like size and look of the cross, which stood at the very end of a small cemetery, off the road.

Coincidentally, I had been thinking about a future photographic project where I would photograph the cross, (mainly the Christian one) in all it’s forms, sizes and contexts – and so this scene fit that bill perfectly.

Anyway, with that in mind, I thought maybe this shot would make a great initial image for the project, maybe.

paulyrichard - Dartmouth NS, Canada '10

Views: 1,569
07-20-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like this shot! Too bad the background is slightly tilted, though...

One other thing that would enhance it would be some highlights corrections to Jesus on the cross.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice concept pauly....i'd like to see just the middle third of this pic... looking forward to more.. dave m
07-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful - the haze and reflection in B&W really work for me, Paul.

Jer

07-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply guys, I appreciate it.

Adam, I don't see any problem with the tilted angle of the land, and I don't see anything bad about it, if truth be told. The horizon maybe tilted but the cross anchors our view, and that's why I like it.
I will have a look into 'dodging' His body though, like you say. Cheers.

dcmsox, I feel that the space is very important to the scene, it was one of the reasons why I took the picture. It shows the lonely nature of this crucifix and may cause the viewer to ponder it's location. The washed out definition in the trees caused by the morning fog, kind of gives the scene a desolate appearance also.
07-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The reflection really does it for me, great job.
07-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

IMO this image is quite striking, Paul. The reflection really makes it special.

07-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys.