Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Audi A4 (B5) - few takes
Posted By: Duh_Vinci, 08-17-2007, 03:26 PM

I took a day off today, hoping to catch a sunrise and take few pictures - have not done it in a while. Unfortunately woke up to a rainy day. Drove to town, grabbed some coffee, decided to shoot at least something...

So here is my car (found it be somewhat tricky to photograph pearl white car, camera can be fooled so easy), so shot in manual:

By the second location, rain stopped, but gotten so muggy, then the harsh sun came up, so that kinda ended my hunt for the "sunrise"

C&C always welcome.

Regards,
D
Views: 5,897
08-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Forum Member

Car looks awesome. They're fun to drive, too! I could only imagine that color being nearly impossible to shoot. My girlfriends brother owns the same car and it never looks like the same colour.
08-17-2007, 08:45 PM   #3

great pics, I have the same exact car (except mine is a 97 and yours looks like a 01')and I have also found it difficult to photograph the Audi pearl color. Here is one of my favorites that I took of my car.

08-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Trying to shoot any white car in sunlight is difficult indeed ... i know I have 2.\

I made the mistake after polishing and waxing the ute ... I tried taking shots out in the afternoon sun ... it was awful ... from any angle ... it was very hard to try and get it right.

Way too many blown highlights.

I think I'll have a better time taking photos at night I think.

08-18-2007, 01:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots D. Excellant choice of backgrounds. This is a really critical, and often overlooked, aspect of automotive still photography.

Adam.
08-18-2007, 01:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Great shots D. Excellant choice of backgrounds. This is a really critical, and often overlooked, aspect of automotive still photography.

Adam.
Very true ... it can make or break a shot.
industrial areas are very good for this type of shoot.
Also getting the angle of the vehicle and tilt right makes a hell of a difference as well.

I do like the first image with the wall behind it.
08-18-2007, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments!

Macneil - yes, you are absolutely right, looks very different every time: from white, to bone, to pearl white to bright silver at night! And yes, very much fun to drive (specially with "few" upgrades)

Vdubbin - another Audi owner! I've had VW's and Audi's most of my life, something about them My car is actually 98.5, but with European trunk and FK tail lights, so there is really no way for anyone to really guess on the year (until you look inside) BTW - nice car, but you got to drop it!

Mechan1k - I don't do much of the automotive photography, but I do find the best times are early (very early) in the morning, before the sun gets even little harsh or later evenings, before the sunset. And yes, about those "hot spots" - blowing your highlights, really have to find a uniformed lighted or shady spot, and look for reflections on the car, those can be very unattractive on the final outcome.

Regards,
D

08-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Vdubbin - another Audi owner! I've had VW's and Audi's most of my life, something about them My car is actually 98.5, but with European trunk and FK tail lights, so there is really no way for anyone to really guess on the year (until you look inside) BTW - nice car, but you got to drop it!

Nice, I have only owned Audi's and VW's my whole life, I just can't get enough of their cars. I really like the tails and trunk, makes the car look very clean. I know I need to drop the car but I don't have the money for coilovers right now and I don't really want to just put lowering springs on it because of the winters.(need some clearance to drive through the snow with quattro)