Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Breaking School Rules
Lens: DA 55-300 @ 70 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Surfeside Beach, TX ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-21-2010, 05:37 PM

Here is a shot that I took this evening that breaks almost every rule of photography that I ever learned: 1) the subject is much too far away; 2) the subject is centered; 3) it's a color photo with no color; 4) the PP stinks with a mottled background; 5) the camera settings were suboptimal - lens wide open (and soft) owing to a shutter speed set faster than necessary; 6) the shot was taken on a beach after only two beers instead of the expected - and more inspirational - larger quantity; and, for good measure 7) the WB is almost certainly screwy.

However . . . . although for the life of me I don't know why, I like it.

Jer

Views: 1,823
07-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do too! Maybe because there's a slight vignetting effect, and the bird isn't in the actual center of the image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I do too! Maybe because there's a slight vignetting effect, and the bird isn't in the actual center of the image.
Thanks much. One of the great things about digital is that you can try all kinds of crazy stuff without using up film.

Jer
07-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it too Jer but I've had three beers. Really, there is something about it that hints of things far away and mysterious that only that bird knows. OK, I actually had a martini and am now going to go get something to eat. Well done anyway.

07-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I like it too Jer but I've had three beers. Really, there is something about it that hints of things far away and mysterious that only that bird knows. OK, I actually had a martini and am now going to go get something to eat. Well done anyway.
Thanks, so much, Susan for the kind and thoughtful words. My suggestion is that you skip supper, have two or three more martinis and look again. You may like it better!

Jer
07-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No Beer in the Fridge-How'd that happen?

Okay, had it been a blue sky it would have been horrible.

I came across a similar pic in my photo chest. I hemmed and hawed considering if I should keep it. It meant to me:"one against the world, alone but the fight goes on".
-a frothy dark ale

In circumspect to yourself perhaps it represents empowerment or entitlement.
-a lager

p.s. If you broke the rules..gollygeezwhizbang!- I'm on the right track!
- Bud Lite

Last edited by EyeSpy; 07-22-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: to correct a nonsensical sentance
07-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
Okay, had it been a blue sky it would have been horrible.

I came across a similar pic in my photo chest. I hemmed and hawed considering if I should keep it. It meant to me:"one against the world, alone but the fight goes on".
-a frothy dark ale

In circumspect to yourself perhaps it represents empowerment or entitlement.
-a lager

p.s. If you broke the rules..gollygeezwhizbang!- I'm on the right track!
- Bud Lite
I hear you - I think I like this shot for the "one against the world" flavor you saw in your pic. BTW, Bud Lite is sailboat fuel.

Jer
07-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i think we all have a problem that all shots be perfect.... and that ain't reality... dull skies, windy and dank conditions... that's reality, and it's nice to see this once in a while...
perhaps if a little pp in lightening this up a wee bit might be interesting to see...
dave m