Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Without flash
Lens: Panagor 90mm F2.8 PMC auto macro Camera: K20d Photo Location: backyard Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Rense, 07-22-2010, 04:08 AM

Most of my macro photos are made with my DIY flash diffuser, I wrote about that in one of my earlier posts. However, I love the ones without flash better, because the background in macros with natural light is so much better! Yesterday and this morning I did some exercises with my Panagor 90mm without flash, and these are some of the results. The bee is shot at f/6.7 or soand ISO200, the hoverfly at f/5.6 and ISO400. Please, let me know what you think!

Views: 2,226
07-22-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You nailed the focus perfectly in #2 - well done Rense.
Beautiful complementary backgrounds with smooth bokeh.
Nicely done.
07-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great series. I really like the second shot. It is really well balanced and I like the background. Thanks for sharing as always.
07-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Please, let me know what you think!
1: looks soft and noisy.... motion blur the culprit or just super small DOF?

2: sharpest, but DOF is to small.

3: Soft... appears to be motion blur?

4: seems slightly soft also.... again motion blur and/or small DOF?

07-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like them all, don't ask me to pick a favorite. You nailed the focus on the honey bee's head pretty well. Nice shots, they all look good.

As for the comments above, I'm going to say it's DOF every time. DOF especially in the honey bee shot is almost nil, it looks like. A lot of my shots are like that, shooting a foot away at f 4 the DOF is maybe a half inch. This looks like the same or less.
07-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi Rense.Very nice photos as usual but if I had to pick how I like your macro work I would say that the ones that you take with the flash in my opinion really stand out.That's just my opinion but what do i know --I'm PolishBTW--Nice B&W shot that you entered in my contest.---Charliezap
07-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WOW! That's all I have to say! JIM

07-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
I like them all, don't ask me to pick a favorite. You nailed the focus on the honey bee's head pretty well. Nice shots, they all look good.

As for the comments above, I'm going to say it's DOF every time. DOF especially in the honey bee shot is almost nil, it looks like. A lot of my shots are like that, shooting a foot away at f 4 the DOF is maybe a half inch. This looks like the same or less.
Pete - if you get 1/2" I'd be amazed !! Much less than that I would think.

Rense - beautiful shots. Personally whenever possible I also prefer 'natural shots' without flash but in macro that's not very often. Superb bokeh.
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love the colors. Very good series.
07-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like them a lot! The narrow DOF and that subtle light make these more than just naturalistic biology studies!
07-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You nailed the focus perfectly in #2 - well done Rense.
Beautiful complementary backgrounds with smooth bokeh.
Nicely done.
Thanks Ash! I think these backgrounds are the + of these shots...

QuoteOriginally posted by miss_alexx Quote
Great series. I really like the second shot. It is really well balanced and I like the background. Thanks for sharing as always.
Thanks Miss!

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
1: looks soft and noisy.... motion blur the culprit or just super small DOF?

2: sharpest, but DOF is to small.

3: Soft... appears to be motion blur?

4: seems slightly soft also.... again motion blur and/or small DOF?
Thank you! Most unsharpness is caused by small DOF, I believe. All are shot at f/5.6, which leaves you hardly any DOF...
07-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote

I think you are right on the DOF! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Hi Rense.Very nice photos as usual but if I had to pick how I like your macro work I would say that the ones that you take with the flash in my opinion really stand out.That's just my opinion but what do i know --I'm PolishBTW--Nice B&W shot that you entered in my contest.---Charliezap
Thank you Charlie!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
WOW! That's all I have to say! JIM
Thanks!
07-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

nice series, especially the 2nd and 4 th images.

Desiring a better DOF and higher shutter speed, without flash, does not go hand in hand.

Still, the colors render without flash is beautiful, especially the oof areas.

marcus
« Terns | Lighthouse »