Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Little Hike
Lens: DA 16-50 Camera: K7 
Posted By: OrenMc, 07-25-2010, 07:45 AM

I used to be a really avid hiker but its been a few years and I am terribly out of shape but I got out yesterday and was blessed with some fantastic landscape.

These are shot in terrible light so they really don't show the true beauty. Got a bit later start than I had planned on.
PHOTO OVERLOAD!!

Start out at Mowich Lake.

A stream along the way.
I need to get out more so I can get more practice of these.

A side trip to Spray Falls.

Vistas along the way.

Entrance of Srpay Park.

Fields of flowers.

Avalanch Lilies and Mount Rainier.

Flowers everywhere.

The curious and posing marmot.

and last but not least. Remember I am shooting with a 50mm.

Wish I could have gotten better shots of this guy but I was really pushing the distance between us already.

although the photos didn't turn out as well as I would have like I had a awesome day and a great workout , around 8 miles round trip. Hope you enjoyed.

Last edited by OrenMc; 07-25-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Views: 1,800
07-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Major jealousy Oren!

I have many very fond memories of Mowich Lake and Spray Park and on up to Seattle Park. Thanks for sharing and bringing them sharp into my mind.

As for that bear...

Steve
07-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Steve, I heard Seattle park was up there also but not sure exaclty where. I continued up for quite a ways after the entrance of Spray Park but not sure if I made it that far.
Anyway, it was awesome to be out again. There were a few other folks but not too bad at all.

The bear was a real treat. I kept talking to it as I approched and moved around so I didn't startle it. It was just busy grazing and really didn't pay me much mind. Of course it was still shedding it hibernation coat so I imagine it was pretty hungry. I could have added a lot of protein to its diet.
07-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice! Love the marmot. Isn't that just a tad too close to a bear though?

07-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Awesome photos of a awesome place. would have love to have joined you. Cheers JIM
07-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Nice! Love the marmot. Isn't that just a tad too close to a bear though?
Thank you, the marmot was a cute little bugger and just posed away.
The bear? Probably not the smartest thing I've done. Should subtract a couple rep's for that stunt.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Awesome photos of a awesome place. would have love to have joined you. Cheers JIM
Would have loved to have you along Jim, Thanks.

Last edited by OrenMc; 07-25-2010 at 12:00 PM.
07-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Amazing waterfalls and amazing colors! Fantastic!
07-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Banned

Awesome shots. Too close to the bear for my taste though!

I'm crossing my fingers and toes because it looks like I'll be going Tacoma on a business if some things line up. I'll be there a couple of weeks so I hope that I'll be able to make it up to the Rainier area to shoot a bit. You've really primed the pump! I'll look up that trail, any other suggestions for a tourista?

07-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pyra_ohms Quote
Amazing waterfalls and amazing colors! Fantastic!
Thank you I appreciate the comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote

I'm crossing my fingers and toes because it looks like I'll be going Tacoma on a business if some things line up. I'll be there a couple of weeks so I hope that I'll be able to make it up to the Rainier area to shoot a bit. You've really primed the pump! I'll look up that trail, any other suggestions for a tourista?
To be honest, I'm not the best one to ask about trail around Mount Rainier. Most my hiking has been in the North Cascades but there are trails galore around Rainier and I don't think any of them would be a disapointment.
I would suggest one spot though and that is the south side, the Paridise area. Lots of littlle trail around there and if you could do a sunrise at Reflection Lake thats an awesome shot. Also from Reflection lake you can hike to Pinnacle and Plumer saddle for some great views. I've been on top of both Pinnacle and Plumer and Plumer is just a walk up if you wanted to continue to its summit for a little more vigorous outing.
Anyway, Enjoy your visit and I hope to see your postings.
07-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote

The Mowich Lake area where Oren took his hike is very nice, but is in the less accessible NW corner of the national park. I don't know how access is now, but it used to require many miles of travel on gravel road to the trail heads at Mowich Lake. Once you get there you have to hike for the views. If you find yourself at Mowich, the trail to Eunice Lake gives the most bang for the buck if your schedule is tight and your legs are weak.

As Oren suggested, the standard tourist visit is through the main park entrance to Longmire and from there to the meadows at Paradise. Reflection Lake is right on the road and offers the standard Mt. Rainier calendar shot. David Muench and Ray Atkeson probably paid off their mortgages with photos from there. (Reflection Lake | Muench Photography, Inc. Specializing in Outdoor I)

From Paradise you can continue down Steven's Canyon (spectacular) to Ohanapecosh (big trees, no views) and around to the east side of the mountain to Sunrise (superb views and open country wandering). You can also detour to Chinook Pass where there is another standard calendar shot. Exit out the north end of the park to return to Tacoma.

From a photographer's perspective, there is some logic to doing the tour in reverse order since the Sunrise side is much better earlier in the day.

Steve
08-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great scenery, I love the entire series!
08-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lush, green and spectacular - great series.

Jer
08-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve for the more informative tour. Most of my hiking was done in the N. Cascades and involved a summit, not a typical hike. I hope to get back in shape again because some of the country covered to aquired those peaks was spectacular and I would love to photograph with a dslr. You can see some of the scenery in my flickr at the beginning pages done with P&S.

Thank you gawan and Sailor, I do appreciate the comments.