Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Perseid Meteor Showers -- anyone catch one?
Posted By: hinckc, 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM

Hi everyone!

Last week I spent a couple nights trying to get a picture of a meteor in my backyard. I didn't get one in frame, though I did see a few. My viewing conditions were less than spectacular, living 30 minutes west of New York city, plus my laziness kept me from getting in the car and going to a field with fewer trees...

These 2 shots were taken facing east, just around midnight. The obvious streaks are a planes, not meteors. But if you look in the very top left of the frame, to the right of the tree silhouette, there is a faint green line that isn't HPN. -- it's too diagonal. That was a meteor that I saw, but the K100 just missed. Hard to even see in the small images, but it's up there in the full shot. A slightly larger version is in my smugmug.

Both shots taken with my K100D + cable release, DA14 @ f/3.5 ISO 200, 30 second exposures, with in-camera noise reduction turned on. Both were adjusted heavily in Pentax Photo Lab. I would have straightened to the roofline in the first, but I would have clipped my slight meteor tail!

This is a shot that has a plane, exactly where I wished a meteor had flown!!! Basically, it's the shot I wanted to get, but with a man-made meteor...

Even though I didn't get one, I was amazed at how many stars the camera picked up -- certainly more than were visible. I've been looking for clear nights since to take some more.

Did anyone have better luck than me?

-Chris

Last edited by hinckc; 08-19-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Views: 2,861
08-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the same luck as you... lots of planes but no meteors.

Better luck next year.
08-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it would ever stop F*****G raining I'd love to stay up all night with the camera, block of cheese and too much wine... not been a great summer for shooting in the 'far east of N.A'.