Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My Extreme Macro Test
Posted By: Ouroboros, 07-29-2010, 04:52 AM

So after finally getting my mitts on a few sets of tubes... well, seven sets actually, I got down to some testing.

The first shot is one of the needle i used for the shot that follows it, as you can see, the mag I'm getting is crazy! After that is a shot of the pixels on my nokia phone and then its' a single green hundred and thousand.

As you can see in the last shot, which I took with my crap cell camera, the tubes look freakin silly.

I know the shots aren't great, they are the first I've taken with the new tubes and I wanted to throw em up here.

Last edited by Ouroboros; 04-03-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Views: 3,438
07-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouroboros, that is pretty radical! And good stuff in the pix.
But what tripod would you use? or other support system? Doesn't it get heavy ended when you lift it up? I'd have some concerns.
I am curious.

08-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
It needs a lot of support! Basically my macro rig is tabletop based. I have a custom made lightbox designed to stand on my table and I use a Gorillapod (anyone who doesn't have one of these better get some spare cash and get one! A gorillapod is kind of like a 50mm prime, you don't have one and you think you're doing ok, then one day you get one and you don't know how you lived so long without it!) I also use a series of platforms to support the tubes so there is no stress on the lens mount. As most of my pics are of static objects, I have all the time in the world to set the shot up and the whole thing is perfectly still for long exposures!

If anyone doesn't know what a gorillapod is, see here: Joby Gorillapod SLR - Flexible tripod for SLR cameras

As for lifting the camera with these tubes attached, carefully. Very carefully. One hand lifts the camera, the other is halfway down the tubes, no need to put any stress on the lens mount if it can be avoided