Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
If you like cars...
Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Littleton, CO 
Posted By: FattyMcJ, 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM

Specifically import cars, then this thread is for you!

It's been a while since I've posted anything for C&C so here are some shots from today, yes it's more than the normal 4-5, but I think you'll enjoy them. The owner of the car was very pleased and asked for the hi-res versions. Someday I'll get paid to do this stuff

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

And for creativity fun times...

7)

8)

Thanks for looking, C&C is always welcome, good or bad.

I'd like to improve and I DO know I need a CP filter...but what do you think of the shots sans the filter?
Views: 2,064
07-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Man, rpf1's look good on any car they are put on. Very slick (and lightweight) wheel. Anyways I like the shots overall, but I feel that shot 2 is missing something, either in the back or foreground. A little too much empty neutral-coloured space for my liking, but that's just my opinion. Perhaps the owner could have stood in frame like they seem to do in tuner mags. You did a great job, considering the car is black along with the wheels. I know I have a hard time shooting black cars. Good work!
07-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice job there, especially since it looks like you weren't using an ultra wide lens. I just shot a black car and it was such a pain in the ass to get the exposure and reflections right.
07-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Black Magic Quote
Man, rpf1's look good on any car they are put on. Very slick (and lightweight) wheel. Anyways I like the shots overall, but I feel that shot 2 is missing something, either in the back or foreground. A little too much empty neutral-coloured space for my liking, but that's just my opinion. Perhaps the owner could have stood in frame like they seem to do in tuner mags. You did a great job, considering the car is black along with the wheels. I know I have a hard time shooting black cars. Good work!
Indeed, his car looks mean with the rpf1's, not to mention it's supercharged pushing ~350 whp in a 2800lb vehicle

Shot #2 was meant to be used in a poster type setting where sponsor/parts brand logos would be photoshopped into the photo around the car, then framed and set next to the car during a car show. But indeed, without knowing that, it's rather empty lol

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Nice job there, especially since it looks like you weren't using an ultra wide lens. I just shot a black car and it was such a pain in the ass to get the exposure and reflections right.
Nope, I haven't purchased the Sigma 10-20mm yet, so all these shots were taken with the 18-55 kit lens and the Sigma 105 f/2.8 macro EX DG.

Shooting black/dark cars is rough, that's why I picked this location. Plain gray walls, neutral concrete with no lines, in an attempt to minimize the reflections since I don't have a CP filter yet Unfortunately it was overcast during the shoot so things had to be fixed in PP to bring out the contrast and make them pop a bit more.

Thanks for the comments guys!

07-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Even the best CPL filters on the market do nothing for metallic reflections. I learned this the hard way.

I've had the most success with black cars at night, dawn and dusk with a tripod. Sunlight wrecks havoc on the car's complexion, any water stains or scratches become obvious. You also get some flares and overblown areas. Cloudy days are marginally better but makes for bland photos.

I've never been a fan of concrete/asphalt shot of cars. I prefer them in busy surroundings like skyscrapers or fall leaves. Surrounding is important in car photography, too.

I think the DA12-24mm is my favorite lens for car photography. It's the most versatile lens and gives you amazing contrast and sharpness.

I wish I had a white or yellow NSX to shoot sometimes.
07-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice results - previous critiques notwithstanding.
I particularly admire the sepia toned variety.
Well done.
07-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Even the best CPL filters on the market do nothing for metallic reflections. I learned this the hard way.

I've had the most success with black cars at night, dawn and dusk with a tripod. Sunlight wrecks havoc on the car's complexion, any water stains or scratches become obvious. You also get some flares and overblown areas. Cloudy days are marginally better but makes for bland photos.

I've never been a fan of concrete/asphalt shot of cars. I prefer them in busy surroundings like skyscrapers or fall leaves. Surrounding is important in car photography, too.

I think the DA12-24mm is my favorite lens for car photography. It's the most versatile lens and gives you amazing contrast and sharpness.

I wish I had a white or yellow NSX to shoot sometimes.
MMmmm...white NSX would be fantastic!

I'll look into the 12-24, I have a friend that uses the Sigma 10-20 and his shots are amazing...but if the extra 2mm from 10 to 12 isn't a big deal, the 12-24 might be worth a try.

So you don't think a CPL would help in these photos? (obviously in the future) This is the first black car I've attempted and although he LOVES the mirror reflections...I hate them lol

Maybe in the future an evening shoot, with a couple off camera strobes. I'll have to play a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice results - previous critiques notwithstanding.
I particularly admire the sepia toned variety.
Well done.
Wow, thank you! I did the aged photos for my personal use, he didn't ask for them but I like to get creative with the PP some times lol

Edit: Oh and I just finished the parts poster for him. Here's the scaled down version...kinda helps with the empty space in the photo.

Last edited by FattyMcJ; 07-29-2010 at 10:33 PM.
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

CPL filters only work on nonmetallic surfaces. It's a fact but I foolishly tried it anyway.

There is no way you can eliminate reflections on cars, you learn to use it to your advantage after a while. It makes you pay more attention to your surroundings and angles, which people sometimes neglect with car photos.

07-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
Inactive Account

The parts poster is really good, the negative space works well for this, the original photo would need to be cropped to work as a stand alone photo

in terms of C&C, i'm not too keen on the background, IMO it doesn't give enough contrast from the subject- a coloured background would isolate the subject even more I think

reflections are a nightmare- you could paint them out in photoshop

in terms of individual photo critique:
1.I like the off axis photo, but don't like the photo not showing the whole car
2.Imo the best photo, but I don't like the green reflection on the left (reduce green saturation in this area) and I don't like the vertical reflection in the middle of the door, if the owner was standing over to the right, maybe behind the bonet- looking 'hard' and wearing a strong colour I think it would make the image pop
3.Not a flattering angle for the car- i'm thinking lower, wider and closer
4.This is lower, wider and closer but again I don't like the fact it cuts the car in half- combine 3 and 4 and you've got a good shot
5/6- I don't like telephoto lenses for this kind of subject- the perspective looks really weird, almost isometric- get closer and wider
7/8.I like the sepia toning, hate the vignette- it's obviously a 'stylistic' choice, butlooks silly, considering the car is obviously new- an 'aged' photo is completely out of context, cut back on the vignette to subtlety frame the photo but without the obvious vignette
07-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #10

No need to swap a K into this baby...must be nice
07-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I DO like cars and I DO like these photos. I've never yet got photos of my car that I really like - these give some ideas that I may shamelessly "steal".

Jer
07-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ga-hing Quote
No need to swap a K into this baby...must be nice
Indeed, I have the FA5 version (4 door Si) and the K20Z3 is a fantastic motor.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I DO like cars and I DO like these photos. I've never yet got photos of my car that I really like - these give some ideas that I may shamelessly "steal".

Jer
Glad you like them and took inspiration from them! Let's see what you come up with, please link to your thread here so I can find it!
07-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by FattyMcJ Quote
Indeed, I have the FA5 version (4 door Si) and the K20Z3 is a fantastic motor.

Must be nice... I think the 4 door has a better look than the 2 door. Boost da bitch

I'm from a small city in Canada, but our Honda scene puts us on the map haha