Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Skill Level Intervention (warning: lots of pictures)
Posted By: future_retro, 08-01-2010, 12:52 AM

I've been at this photography thing for a few months now. Before I spend any more money on it I'd like to stop and ask for an evaluation of my abilities. So far the only critiques have been from overly supportive family members and the subjects of the pictures.

I'd love just an honest opinion from the photographic community, I'm definitely not looking for praise or validation, it's just that when I see other peoples pictures they seem to have some beautiful, stunning, professional look to them that mine seem to lack. The ones on this site have blown me away and I also find that quality it in a vast amount of other amateur, beginner and professional pictures alike. My PP is terrible too, I'll admit it's straight up terrible. I can never not over saturate for some reason.

I've uploaded a selection of my personal favorite shots, my only training is practice, online research, Scott Kelby's book series and a handful of other resources.

Please be brutally honest, I definitely think I'm over confident in my abilities as a picture taker (I don't want to call myself a photographer just yet), and I would love to know if I really have what it takes to someday capture amazing pictures. Even With all my hours of reading and online research my pictures don't look half as good as some my friend took with my Kx on auto mode, literally the first time he ever picked up a camera. So I assume there has to be a great deal of natural ability involved. (he even naturally framed every shot using the rule of thirds! I had to learn that and am still getting the hang of it)

If I don't have what it takes then I will simply put it in the drawer of failed hobbies and sell some gear (probably keep the K7 and the DA 40 for snapshots)...trust me it wouldn't be the first time

I've searched the rules and haven't found anything against doing this, but if I'm breaking any rules I apologize (especially because of the expanse of photos). I welcome a deletion if necessary.

Thank you very much for your time, I really appreciate it

(All EXIF seems to be in tact)

Last edited by future_retro; 08-01-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: added PP details
Views: 1,487
08-01-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Generally, I'd say, pretty nice photos, but it's hard to comment on so many. I'd advise you to post 3-4 in a thread asking for comments.
08-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think your colors are a bit saturated, almost to an unnatural level. I like the first one with the snowboarder in the air the best. Looks like you have great lenses, very sharp! Are you shooting as a hobby or profession? One way to save some money is to invest in low cost manual lenses. Helps me to spend more time framing then just shoot away on auto.