Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Infrared
Posted By: khardur, 08-20-2007, 03:27 PM

I'm totally obsessed, to be honest. I can't take a good normal color picture to save my life lately, I'm thinking so much about what I can try with the IR filter.

I need to invent a snap-on lens filter ring, like lens caps are, instead of a screw on mount- maybe I could superglue this thing to a lens cap where I've cut out the inside - that might work, though vignetting might be a problem with the extended mount.

*sigh* I'll shut up now, here's the pics:

Attachment 4462

Attachment 4463

Attachment 4464

Attachment 4465

Attachment 4466

Last edited by khardur; 01-29-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Views: 3,046
08-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a lense did that?

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I'm totally obsessed, to be honest. I can't take a good normal color picture to save my life lately, I'm thinking so much about what I can try with the IR filter.

I need to invent a snap-on lens filter ring, like lens caps are, instead of a screw on mount- maybe I could superglue this thing to a lens cap where I've cut out the inside - that might work, though vignetting might be a problem with the extended mount.
This is very interesting.. and you are saying you do it with a lense??? I figured you did it on your computer.. Would you mind explaining the lense alittle more??? I am just a newbie and am very intersted...

Thank you for your time..
08-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sorry for the lack of details Mtnbearhug - I use the 18-55 "kit" lens, and the 40mm Limited - with a Hoya R72 IR filter attached to the front.

The problem is, you have to compose the scene before you put the filter on, because you can't see visible light through it. (well, if you point it at the sun you can see a tiny red dot - but that can't be good for your eyes either!)

So I've spent a lot of time lately screwing the filter on and off, and am starting to think of ways I can devise to just snap it on and off like a lens cap, as opposed to all the "on and off" stuff.

Besides, if it doesn't sit right on the filter thread, I run the chance of dropping it. I've been a lot more careful lately, but I've dropped it quite a few times when I was first trying it out.

FYI, none of the color shots are "photoshopped" as in I didn't paint the colors in, or change certain ones. I've altered the white balance slightly and upped the saturation in the color ones to bring out the colors the camera captures, no more.
08-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple years ago, after I started having some back problems, I started sleeping with pillows behind me. With a line of pillows behind me, my back was nicely supported and I slept comfortably.
As I was describing this to a friend, I said that I should invent a bed that had nice pillows sticking up from it to support your back.

I then realized that I had just re-invented the "couch".

You, as it turns out, have just re-invented Cokin filters. And they even make IR ones!

Your second shot is wonderful. Great composition and color.

08-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
You, as it turns out, have just re-invented Cokin filters. And they even make IR ones!
Your second shot is wonderful. Great composition and color.
Great point, carpents. I don't remember my reasoning, but I balked when I was looking at the Cokin system. - oh, it was because the lenses I used the filters on would all fit 52mm filters, so it made sense at the time.

Maybe when I start getting glass with different filter sizes that will be the way to go, but thanks for reminding me, and thanks for the compliment on the image.
08-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Fantastic shots, especially the color ones. I just ordered an R72. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the inspiration!
08-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

what were the exposure times on those? give or take.

08-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
#1: 8 s
#2: 25 s
#3: 6 s
#4: 6 s
#5: 30 s
08-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots. I have done some IR work myself. Your shots are all excellent. I especially like #5. Well done.
08-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #10

Beautiful, all of them, but I especially like #4.

I too have my R72 on order, as well as a strong (dark? dense? what word do I want?) ND filter - up to 9 stops apparently, and has to come to Australia from the US especially because I asked the camera shop so nicely. Can anyone who has worked with both comment about how a shot like #4 above would differ when shot with ND as opposed to IR filter?
08-21-2007, 04:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

nice set of images

looks like a nice investment .
08-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The IR filter only lets Infrared Light pass through it whereas the ND filter reduces all types of light passing through it equally. Think of the ND filter as sunglasses for your camera. The ND filter will still produce the image with a full color range. But, with 9 stops you could make some interesting shots using longer shutter speeds in daylight!
08-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Dan, I should probably dub you as IR master.

I absolutely love number 2, but the whole series is fantastic. I should probably get an R72 also and try out IR.
08-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've been thinking about this a little. I have a rubber lens hood for my LF lens. It screws into the filter threads on the lens. There are threads in the end of the hood that will hold filters. The hood is rubber, so the filters just push in and pull out, and the threads in the rubber hold them in place. No screwing them in and out. With the right size rubber hood and IR filter, it would be much quicker to remove & replace the filter for composing & shooting.

I received my R72 filter today. I tried a couple of test shots on the K10D. The shots came out very red in color. I had to adjust hue quite a bit to get them to look ok. Do you get this red color? How do you avoid it? What are you using for white balance?
08-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
did you do a manual white balance? You simply *must* - otherwise the photos will come out too red, even if you change them in post processing. Try manually white balancing on a piece of cloud, or greenery, (i've even used an 18% gray lens cleaning cloth I have in my bag)

had a conversation about this in another thread: even though in theory shooting RAW should allow you to use any WB setting and come up with good results, it simply doesn't work this way.

keep in mind too - do the white balance with the aperture nearly wide open (no reason other than to allow a short shutter time doing the WB), and set the camera up in manual to be sure the meter says you're overexposing by at least 2 stops. The meter generally is fooled by the IR into underexposing. You need to push it in order to get a good exposure, and a good white balance. -

then in PP I alter the neutral white point as well by a little, but not much.

Last edited by khardur; 08-23-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: clarifying stuff.