Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Problem in squirrels
Lens: Sigma 70-300mm Camera: K100D Photo Location: backyard ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: photolady95, 08-01-2010, 06:09 PM

Kind of ugly marks/sores on these two squirrels. I've researched the problem but can't decide if it is what I found. That is Squirrel Pox. Does anyone have a idea if that is true and if not, can you tell me what it is?

I would hate for this to be Squirrel Pox, as it can infect others. Should it be Squirrel Pox, should I contact our state's wildlife authorities?
Views: 2,269
08-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't tell for sure, Mar, and might if I could see those bumps close up, but it looks like they could botfly larvae to me. Google "botflies" and you'll find lots of hits. There were a couple bad years with them up here in the northern Adirondacks with chipmunks getting them. One chip had four or five. They looked horrible, but the chips handled them well. One of the chips watched the larvae emerge from that gruesome looking opening in the bump, then ate the larvae.

Why not see if there's a local wildlife rehabilitator nearby who can give you advice?
08-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Tamia. I think you're right. It's botflies/warblers. I found an article which tells me all about them and the article is written by Lt. Stan Kirkland, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC):

Here's the article.

Squirrels, Warbles, Bot Flies, Bot Fly Larvae

If you read it, it says there is no worry about them, either in the squirrel infected or humans.

It also says once the larvae fall out they can live in the ground until next year. I think I'll see if there is a treatment I can use on the ground to kill them.

We've had exceptionally hot weather here and that is one thing that seems to bring these pests out and about.

Sure makes me sad to see what my furry friends have to go through.
08-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks for the article link, Mar. It confirms what I thought about botflies. Coincidentally, I just saw a young squirrel with what looks like a scar from a recently emerged botfly. Perhaps the best treatment for the larvae is lots of hungry birds!

08-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #5

When I saw the pictures I thought "wools", a name we had for bot fly infestations in squirrels on my Aunt's farm when I was growing up. After going to college and obtaining a degree in Biology and a degree in Chemistry, I can say that a course in parisitology will make you look at everything with a great appreciation for modern medicine. In certain equitorial regions, parasitic fly infestations in humans can be horrible.

JB
08-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw some of those human parasite infestations when searching for what was wrong with the squirrels. Not a nice thing to see or have on your body.
08-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

yeah these guys look to be in pretty bad shape.

Mike

p.s. Changed the category prefix. Even though these are "yuck" they are not "not work safe". That category is generally reserved for human partial or full nudity.
08-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
eeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww - but handy to have your own food source growing on ya !

08-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by MRRILEY, er Mike. p.s. Changed the category prefix. Even though these are "yuck" they are not "not work safe". That category is generally reserved for human partial or full nudity.
I just didn't want any one to freak out when they saw how nasty these parasites looked.

yeah, Dave, they're pretty eeeewww in real life too.