Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Spider Catches Fly - I'm Officially Hooked on Macro Photography!
Lens: D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Edmonton, Alberta ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: iocchelli, 08-01-2010, 07:45 PM

I made my very first attempt at macro insect photography today. I quickly learned that a bush with small yellow flowers was attracting many flies so I lingered there a while. This little fellow landed on a flower and then seemed to pull himself under two strangely curled up petals and then stayed their. "Weird", I thought, and went home.

Imagine my surprise when I loaded the photos on my computer to find the bug had been caught by a spider who intentionally curls up those petals, and whose yellow and green colouring perfectly matched the flowers!

You can see one of the spiders legs in the first photo, and a few legs in the second. In the third, you can see the bug has been pulled into the flower and, in the fourth, you can see my best attempt at photographing the little monster (I went back 30 minutes later). It's not a very good shot because it was very windy, and the spider was so very tiny!

Views: 2,415
08-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Nice experience you had there acrois always interesting and everything can happen.....and sometimes nothing
08-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That spider would have caught me. I had to go back over the pictures twice before I seen him. He blends right in with the flower. Very stealthy. Nice shots.
08-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
That spider would have caught me. I had to go back over the pictures twice before I seen him. He blends right in with the flower. Very stealthy. Nice shots.
He would have caught me too! Even when I was looking for him, it was hard to see him. I did a search on google images for "yellow spider" and found some better shots - this one is exactly the type of spider I saw. I will have to try another day to get a better shot of one of them.

08-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its a beautiful crab spider They come in all sorts of colors.... I just had the same experience as you except it was on white flowers with a white one