Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Motorcycle Crash Sequence
Lens: DA*300 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Colorado 
Posted By: jbrowning, 08-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Hello everyone, I haven't had much to post lately. But yesterday I was able to get some good shots of crash at the races. These were taken at High Plains Raceway in Colorado.

Here are a few pics from the crash in MRA Open Super Bike class race on Sunday in turn 8 right before lunch.

Everyone ended up being ok.

Thanks
Jim Browning
Views: 3,363
08-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
wow!!!!!
08-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and the whole thing happened in what 3 secs?
did you use Continuous Auto Focus?
08-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Sorin and sharathk, yes it happened in just a few seconds. And oh yeah I use continuous AF on these races.

Thank you
Jim

08-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Great series.
08-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gdog Quote
Great series.
Thanks gdog.

Jim
08-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow right place right time excellent series were they hurt ?

08-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow right place right time excellent series were they hurt ?
Hello Dave, yeah getting a crash picture is totally by luck being in the right place and the right time focused in on the right rider. No one was hurt. In fact the one who looked to be worse walked to the ambulance under him own power and then once back in the pits walked from the ambulance to his pit under his own power.

Thank you
Jim
08-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Awesome crash sequence Jim! Superb job. You're gettin' pretty good at this. Sadly I havn't been out to shoot a single race so far this year.

Mike
08-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Good thing it wasn't any closer. Looks like that bike was coming in your direction. Great sequence. Crashes like this really test your reaction, response time, and awareness of what's going on outside of the viewfinder. Nice work.
08-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Awesome crash sequence Jim! Superb job. You're gettin' pretty good at this. Sadly I havn't been out to shoot a single race so far this year.

Mike
Thanks Mike, yeah I have my moments. What are you talking about you haven't been out yet to shoot a race this year. Are you feeling well..running a fever.....feeling a little under the weather...

thanks
Jim
08-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Good thing it wasn't any closer. Looks like that bike was coming in your direction. Great sequence. Crashes like this really test your reaction, response time, and awareness of what's going on outside of the viewfinder. Nice work.
Thanks Brian. Yeah it was coming right towards me thats for sure. But luckily the ground in front of my is kind of sandy. So I thought the loose soft sand would slow down or even stop it before it reached me....or at least that is what I was hoping. And lucky for me the ambulance was setting not twenty feet from me. lol

Thank you
Jim
08-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great sequence! Looks like 132 was trying to beat 24 into the left and ran out of road, came in too hot and had nowhere to go....

That first shot is interesting - fingers on the brakes, forked compressed, front wheel already folded and the rear in the air. He's even looking the wrong way - not into the turn - so it's clear that he's way over his head here. The red mist...

24 didn't even see him coming I bet.
08-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great captures...frighteningly so! how did the riders fare? dave m
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Great sequence! Looks like 132 was trying to beat 24 into the left and ran out of road, came in too hot and had nowhere to go....

That first shot is interesting - fingers on the brakes, forked compressed, front wheel already folded and the rear in the air. He's even looking the wrong way - not into the turn - so it's clear that he's way over his head here. The red mist...

24 didn't even see him coming I bet.
Thanks John, you mention where he is looking. In the full size photo you can tell he is looking in my direction. Now maybe he was looking from his left to right or vice versa. I am always concerned that I am a distraction to the riders even though I try and blend in as much as possible.

Thanks
Jim