Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 20557
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 21318
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 21413
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 310,001
08-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you know someone has 5 or 10 photos in the gallery? Is it automated? I guess it isn't

08-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #152
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Nope- you have to check yourself. You can use the search feature if you'd like a complete list.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #153

Photos: Gallery
I'm seeing a huge difference between the first photos accepted into the gallery and the ones being accepted now. I think this gallery is heading towards being as restrictive, and hard to get into, as the PPG. If that's the case, I don't even see the point of submitting. What enthusiasm I had when this was first announced has practically evaporated.

Maybe there should be a different showcase gallery for the best beginner photos - maybe for people who have been doing photography, period, for fewer than 36 months. It's just a suggestion, but it would be a great confidence booster and stepping stone. I don't think it's fair for newbies to have to compete against professionals, or hobbyists with pro-level skills.
08-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #154
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Our exclusive gallery is intended to be more selective than the PPG, which, frankly, currently has many technically-flawed photos. For beginners, I'd recommend events such as World Pentax Day, our Monthly Contests, or using the PYP forum to improve your photography.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #155

More selective or not, how does something like this make it in? I'm confused. This doesn't even look like a photo. I guess maybe the issue is whether there should be a post processing limit before it just gets ridiculous? Most of the photos in the gallery are excellent, but a couple seem average at best.

Ha, and I don't mean to sound like a griper. A few of those shots just stick out like a sore thumb as not being worthy of the exclusive gallery.

Last edited by ManhattanProject; 08-23-2010 at 12:30 AM.
08-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Sir, you made a negative comment in the (exclusive) gallery beneath my photo. You make yet another comment here. It is then logical for me to start wondering whether or not you have something personal with me or that photograph. If so, perchance it might be more beneficial if you turned to me in person via private messaging system. With all due respect, these comments of yours are starting to be annoying.
08-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #157
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Way to single somebody out- that's not cool. The photo was accepted by mistake (ID mixup), but still, you should be more respectful.

Adam

08-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Our exclusive gallery is intended to be more selective than the PPG, which, frankly, currently has many technically-flawed photos. For beginners, I'd recommend events such as World Pentax Day, our Monthly Contests, or using the PYP forum to improve your photography.
I didn't gather from the write up announcing the gallery that it was supposed to be MORE exclusive than the PPG gallery. I gathered that it was supposed to be more fair and less arbitrary in the photos that made it in. At least, that's how it was presented. And with the acceptance of the first batch of pictures, most of which were no better than snapshots, you gave the impression that this gallery wasn't going to be as hard to get into. Basically, I feel like you baited and switched us.

As far as your elitist dismissal of the talent of beginners goes, I have the web space, time, and tech skills to create a gallery just for us where we can show off what we've learned here, since you won't give us that. After all, as we are "improving our photography", to paraphrase you, we need somewhere to showcase our work, such that it is. If you don't want to encourage us, we'll encourage ourselves.
08-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh wow, come on, get some perspective. This is the Pentax "exclusive gallery" -- please note the word "exclusive". If you want your own gallery, go ahead set one up. Use Flickr or whatever else you prefer. Who is stopping you?

Yeah, I think some of the images included are below par. Yes, I wonder why some of my own submissions did not get accepted. That's life in the gallery world. Tastes and criteria differ.

Last edited by rparmar; 08-23-2010 at 03:19 PM.
08-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #160
Pentaxian

Wow. If I could take snapshots that look like the gallery photos I'd be rich.
08-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Oh wow, come on, get some perspective. This is the Pentax "exclusive gallery" -- please note the word "exclusive". If you want your own gallery, go ahead set one up. Use Flickr or whatever else you prefer. Who is stopping you?

Yeah, I think some of the images included are below par. Yes, I wonder why some of my own submissions did not get accepted. That's life in the gallery world. Tastes are criteria differ.
I have perspective. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean I don't have it. To each his own.
08-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #162

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Wow. If I could take snapshots that look like the gallery photos I'd be rich.
Your comment is inaccurate. I said SOME in the VERY FIRST BATCH of photos accepted into the gallery looked no better than snapshots. In MY OPINION, it's true. To each his own.
08-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope- you have to check yourself. You can use the search feature if you'd like a complete list.
So, you have to give yourself those 50 credit points?
08-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #164

Way to single somebody out- that's not cool. The photo was accepted by mistake (ID mixup), but still, you should be more respectful.
I didn't single somebody out, I singled some-photo out. Big difference, and by your own admission, now, an accurate evaluation. I never made it personal, he did.
08-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #165
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
In either case, the fact of the matter is that not everyone will like all of the photos (that's life), so there's no point in further complaining in this thread

Our goal, for this gallery, is to accept photos with exceptional technique as well as composition. That means that, at the very minimum, a photo is not to be lacking in the following areas, which are not subjective:
  • Cropping around the edges: adequate breathing room & "if it doesn't help the picture, it hurts the picture"
  • Sharpness: photo is sharp where it should be
  • Colors: colors are vivid and natural
  • Use of post-processing: post-processing is carried out in a sound, non-distracting manner.
On top of that, the composition also has to be something out of the ordinary. However, since that's subjective (despite the fact that only a small proportion of users differ in opinion), we won't focus on that in this discussion. Let me just say that I think that every photo currently in the gallery right now conforms to the 4 standards listed above. Agreed?

Adam