Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 20509
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 21259
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 21355
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 309,592
08-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry if I misunderstood you Falk.

08-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #197
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
There's no objectivity which is why it doesn't hurt too badly if a great photo rejected at PPG cannot make it into the PEG.

PEG is just starting off. People are still watching how things develop. But if PEG succeeds, with the current mission, then I see Adam sink in a flood of resubmitted PPG work.

So, I did my post to emphasize a real problem. BTW, Adam's reply was a clear indication that the work level caused by PEG is an issue already. But he's seen nothing but the tip of an iceberg yet.

All of this has nothing to do with looking for objectivity.
Did I hear that you wanted to help us judge the photos?

tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did I hear that you wanted to help us judge the photos?

:tongue:

Not a dangerous question though. Because I already said what I think about judging again what was rejected already. I helped from time to time to judge PPG photos and certainly wouldn't want to see them pop up again on any PEG reviewer's screen. At least not mine Sometimes, one can get the impression that people upload their SD card straight to PPG

BTW, I worked as a reviewer and consultant for the European commission in evaluating research proposals (asking for EU funding). One of the top questions was "Did you already submit your proposal elsewhere and if yes, was it rejected?". We didn't necessarily deny the propsal then but chances have been minimized. I think it is normal practice to know if a work was already submitted in a competition and if it was rejected there. Some competitions insist on the work being unpublished before the submission.

As a compromise, you could add a question box to the upload form:
1. This (or similiar) photo already submitted to PPG?
2. If yes, Rejected/Approved/Pending?
3. If Approved, image link.

Chances are high that somebody here saw the image in the review phase at PPG even if denied. So, to give false answers would fire back (if accepted at PEG). Same for an almost identical submission because people would still remember the image and assume a false answer.

Last edited by falconeye; 08-27-2010 at 06:16 PM.
08-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #199
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Sometimes, one can get the impression that people upload their SD card straight to PPG
And our gallery, too. Frankly, we've seen a handful of photos that would have been probably turned out better if re-shot with a cell phone. They had overexposure, blurriness, crookedness- you name it!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #200
Veteran Member

I've a two questions that I'd like to clarify for myself which hopefully would be useful for others.

1. Adam, in your competition of sorts against PPG - am I right to understand that you're competing with what they call "premiere collection"?

2. Is it at all possible to know how many people are judging PEG and who are they?
08-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #201
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We've not directly competing with anything, and I don't plan on referring to other sites for procedural or operational guidelines. But, if you'd like to compare, we aim to have our gallery contain only photos that make you say "holy shit". Currently, the entire site staff votes: Site Supporters and Staff - PentaxForums.com

Adam

08-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Thanks, Adam, I think I got my answers...

09-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #203
Veteran Member

What's wrong with this thread?

First, it gave HTTP 500 errors when clicked, now it continues to show up as thread with "new" content (bold w/o having new content) in my subscription tab ...

UPDATE:
Well, not anymore after I posted this. The hope it would help was one reason to do the post, actually
09-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #204
Pentaxian

Does "...taken with a Pentax" mean Pentax glass too? Or do we treat glass like a flash attachment or cable release where any brand will do because you only want to see the sensor results of what Pentax put in the camera?
09-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #205
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Just the camera, for now.
09-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #206
Pentaxian

Well great. Now we can see how a Sony and Pentax camera, for instance, takes a picture by demanding a Pentax only body. I'd say the most defining characteristic of the shot would be the glass since that is the about the only Pentax unique feature of the picture.

Last edited by tuco; 09-06-2010 at 01:06 PM.
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #207
Veteran Member

This is Pentax Forum's Tuco... Not Sony Forums, or Canon Forums or even K-mount Forums...
09-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
This is Pentax Forum's Tuco... Not Sony Forums, or Canon Forums or even K-mount Forums...
Right. That's why I'm saying a Pentax camera means Pentax glass too.
09-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #209
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Currently, the requirement is that the photo be taking with a Pentax camera. That's how it is, and that's how it's staying until further notice. Requiring Pentax glass as well, while nice, would exclude a lot of Pentaxians unfairly.

Adam

09-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #210

QuoteQuote:
An approval decision will always be made within 24 hours

Is this pretty much an impossible promise to keep anymore? It used to be pretty fast, but as time has gone on it has taken longer and longer for decisions to be made.