Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 20546
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 21307
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 21402
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 309,939
09-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #241
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And so as the rules change with time, so too must the artist...
Unfair? Yes. Such is PEG.
Solution? Get savvy or don't bother.
Personal choice, but I see no problem (but rather less stress) with the latter.

BTW Tanner, many of those are simply awesome macros.

09-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by petetax Quote
...Also how do some pictures get the yellow star ratings, who decides that? I got 5 star on one and no stars on another that I might have expected at least one on?
First, welcome to the forum, Petetax.

The yellow star ratings are the result of other forum members voting on a photo. On the PEG page, click on a photo, and when you bring up the photo's page, look at the upper right above the picture for "Rate Photo" which opens a drop-down menu. Click on the rating and then hit "Vote Now" to rate that photo.
09-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many thanks Tamia
09-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
On the PEG page, click on a photo
Just to clairfy this - this applies to all photos in the user galleries, not just the PEG photos.

09-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #245
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
FYI- no stars means no rating. The lowest rating is 1 star (1.0).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #246
Veteran Member

Good lord, my mug shot of that spider dropped from a 5 star to a 3 in a day!

If you don't like it please speak up.... I want to know why.
09-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #247
Veteran Member

On another note...

Adam, is it possible to add how many have voted next to the # of stars they have so we get a sense of context? If someones photo say only has three ratings and 3 stars than clearly only people who didn't like the photo voted...

Just a thought

09-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #248
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Just hover over the image- the count is in the hover text.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #249
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've spent a good chunk of today and yesterday working on a gallery judging script. This script allows quick and unbiased evaluation access for all photo judges.

We are now also opening the floor to judges who are not part of the site moderating staff. If you are interested in becoming a judge, please see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/114614-lookin...ry-judges.html

Adam

09-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We are now also opening the floor to judges who are not part of the site moderating staff.
What will happen if the new judges like yeatzee's bug shots?
09-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #251
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Would you like to become a judge and find out?

The script I've written for the purpose can be described as "sexy" at the very least.

Adam

09-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #252
Pentaxian

Would you like to become a judge and find out?
I'm honoured by the offer but I wouldn't be able to deliver on a commitment in the next ~6 weeks.

The script I've written for the purpose can be described as "sexy" at the very least.
09-19-2010, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #253
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Retire the Gallery

Hello, I just now visited the gallery. And I want to appluad the effort. To borrow a phrase - You can please some people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

About the only photo as of this date that appeared natural ( minimum photo enchancement perhaps?) was Contemplation IMHO. I didn't come across one film submission. If there is one please point it out to me. gracias.

I suggest, and after 11 pages on a sticky.. that the exclusive gallery be retired.

In place create new galleries.
"Judge's Choice" that meet stated criteria for digital and one for film.

The Exclusive Gallery is to Inclusive: There is a distinct difference between a photo and a created visual.

For example if I take a B&W silver geletin print and hand color it, it becomes a hand colored photograph. If I take any photo medium(scanned or downloaded) and digitally enhance beyond "less is more" ( dark room techiques(?);auto-balance, lighter,darker, contrast)" bounderies then it becomes a digitally created visual. A photograph is art. A severly manipulated photo is artistic. Two seperate and distinct genres. .

Best regards to the brave Judges.
09-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #254
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I applaud your contribution EyeSpy.
I too have come to a point in seeing PEG considerably yet inconsistently accepting of entries at the exclusion of some fine ones I've seen rejected. I guess that all comes with personal judgement. A consensus does have to be made on what makes a photo PEG-worthy, even if the result is strongly opposed by a minority of judges.

I do hope the judges always consider the purpose and significance of excellence in setting up PEG that the standard maintains that 'exclusive' status and raises the bar on what is considered visual art.
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #255

Photos: Gallery
I'm with EyeSpy on the ridiculous amount of editing on some these. I would expect accepted photos to be more natural and less manipulated.