Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 19892
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 19003
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 18990
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 276,299
03-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #436
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,644
I find the new judging system better, most of the judges gave constructive comments unlike previously.
I've only submitted 2 pics with relatively good comments and scoring and 1 almost make it but due to dust spots, didn't re-submit again though.
btw one of the judges even leave down his name/id for PM of more comments, think is Dr Orloff if I'm not wrong.

03-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #437
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,673
Looking through some of the images in the exclusive gallery today I saw something unique.
Two images, created by two separate individuals, using two different Pentax camera models and two different lenses, and the images are like bookends.

Here is one:




And here is the other:



What really strikes me as unusual is that each shot has 8 comments, and not one comment refers to the similarity of the pictures.

Am I the only person who has noticed this?
03-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #438
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,466
Does anyone know how pictures get classified in the PEG? One of my photos came back saying it should have been classified as a landscape instead of nature but, to my knowledge, we don't get an option to put entries into a specific category.
03-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #439
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,673
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Does anyone know how pictures get classified in the PEG? One of my photos came back saying it should have been classified as a landscape instead of nature but, to my knowledge, we don't get an option to put entries into a specific category.
The first person who views a submission as a judge is prompted to select a category. I have seen the same thing as you, where the category selected for a submission is (in my opinion) incorrect. But you have the option to change the category of your submission should it not get into the exclusive gallery.

03-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,466
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The first person who views a submission as a judge is prompted to select a category. I have seen the same thing as you, where the category selected for a submission is (in my opinion) incorrect. But you have the option to change the category of your submission should it not get into the exclusive gallery.
If I didn't choose the category, why would the judge even bring up the fact that he thought it was in the wrong category? Sometimes I think the judges need to be more careful of what they put in their critiques. Some of the comments I am getting are so off base I wonder where they are getting their information.
03-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #441
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,673
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
If I didn't choose the category, why would the judge even bring up the fact that he thought it was in the wrong category?
Apparently that person seems to have spoken out of turn. It is possible that the individual did not really understand the process, and assumed that the person submitting the image selected the category.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Sometimes I think the judges need to be more careful of what they put in their critiques. Some of the comments I am getting are so off base I wonder where they are getting their information.
I feel the same.

A shot I submitted was done with a fisheye lens. A comment was made that I should have used a CPL to make the shot better. What that tells me is the individual making the comment does not know and understand the equipment used. Someone who is knowledgeable about the use of ultra wide angle lenses would know that you cannot attach a filter to them, as there are no threads on the front of the lens housing.

I have also seen some very opinionated comments that showed bias. Comments that were actually rude, and show that the individual making them is not remaining fair and impartial while judging the pictures submitted.

On the other end of the spectrum, some of the judges have done a fantastic job. Dr. Orloff, for example, writes very nice critiques, and presents excellent detail about the technical aspect of a shot, why it does or does not work, and includes constructive criticism. He even puts his name in his comments, and invites the photographer to discuss his comments via private message.

Those of us who are acting as judges should follow his example, and work towards a style of judging that builds upon our strengths, rather than tearing us down by our weaknesses.
03-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,466
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I have also seen some very opinionated comments that showed bias. Comments that were actually rude, and show that the individual making them is not remaining fair and impartial while judging the pictures submitted.

On the other end of the spectrum, some of the judges have done a fantastic job. Dr. Orloff, for example, writes very nice critiques, and presents excellent detail about the technical aspect of a shot, why it does or does not work, and includes constructive criticism. He even puts his name in his comments, and invites the photographer to discuss his comments via private message..
I know what you mean about rude comments. I have received several and don't understand the thought process behind it. As you noted with Dr. Orloff's reviews, constructive criticism is the key if you are going to make a comment at all.
Lots of improvements have been made on the judging and it is getting better but being mean or rude should never be an option and I, for one, would like to see a venue to report such comments or at least be able to know who made them and find the reason behind them.
03-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #443
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,673
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
. . . . . . but being mean or rude should never be an option and I, for one, would like to see a venue to report such comments or at least be able to know who made them and find the reason behind them.
+10 on that.

03-28-2013, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #444
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,644
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I know what you mean about rude comments. I have received several and don't understand the thought process behind it. As you noted with Dr. Orloff's reviews, constructive criticism is the key if you are going to make a comment at all.
Lots of improvements have been made on the judging and it is getting better but being mean or rude should never be an option and I, for one, would like to see a venue to report such comments or at least be able to know who made them and find the reason behind them.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
+10 on that.
Me too, +10.
Though the judging system has improved, there's still a minority of rude and mean judges. Why do they have to pass sacarstic comments? Why can't they give constructive ones?
I've not submitting for quite a while becos of these rude and mean judges untill lately I submitted 2, 1 still pending and 1 got approved today, still I see mean and sacarstic comments. If majority of the judgfes likes the image why this minority is so negative about it? Yes, very negative, not even neutral, the comments are so mean as if the image is a piece of trash. The image has won top awards in pixoto, get Explored in Flickr with loads of positive comments, 60+ fav within a day and just received from Getty Images to license for sales, is the image really that bad to deserve such rude comments? Or those people have poor judgement or bad eyesight? Got several comments on nice colors and nice tone from majority of the judges while this particular judge can comment distracting colors. Hmm...I'm wondering.....

Last edited by kengoh; 03-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #445
Senior Member
whitelotus9's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kissimmee, Florida, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 148
This is not Flicker or any of those other sites, it is the Pentax User's Forum and the Pentax Exclusive Gallery. And the members of this site are most likely quite different than those other sites. To compare PEG to Flicker (et al) is like comparing an apple to a snowball. One thing I have learned by my own submittals is that they are looking for images that are exceptional. Someone once told me to think about having a room with prints of most of your photos and no room for another. When you take a photo that you feel is "The Photo", is it really so attention grabbing that you would take down one of your prized prints so you could hang it in it's place?
03-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #446
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,644
I realised I could not delete any of my images from PEG, when I clicked <Edit> I don't see any Removal button.
Can the Admin of PEG help to remove all my 15 images as some of them are requested for licensing.
Thanks.
03-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #447
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,466
QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
I realised I could not delete any of my images from PEG, when I clicked <Edit> I don't see any Removal button.
Can the Admin of PEG help to remove all my 15 images as some of them are requested for licensing.
Thanks.
Ken, glad to see that your images are making money for you. They are wonderful. You may have to email Adam to get them removed from the gallery.
03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #448
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,644
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Ken, glad to see that your images are making money for you. They are wonderful. You may have to email Adam to get them removed from the gallery.
Thanks Susan.
Hope to see more of your work in PEG.


Adam, btw I didn't receive Site Supporter status and Marketplace access when I reached 10 accepted PEG images and now I've hit 15...I guess now when I asked for removal of the images, these incentives are no longer applicable?


Last edited by kengoh; 03-30-2013 at 07:40 AM.
03-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #449
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,673
QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
I realised I could not delete any of my images from PEG, when I clicked <Edit> I don't see any Removal button.
Can the Admin of PEG help to remove all my 15 images as some of them are requested for licensing.
Thanks.
Why do you want to remove your photos from the exclusive gallery?
03-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #450
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,644
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Why do you want to remove your photos from the exclusive gallery?
As some of them are licensed for sales, those images in PEG does not bear watermark and they are of higher resolution, people can simply download instead of buying, not fair to buyers who spend money to purchase.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
attic, camera, category, click, comments, criticism, decision, film, gallery, images, issues, judge, judges, limitations, lx, opinion, pentax, pentaxforums, photo, photos, review, scanner, site, sky, status, steve, time, words
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Exclusive gallery Phil Thomson IPA Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 01-20-2013 11:09 AM
Never knew about the Pentax exclusive gallery. slackercruster Photographic Technique 5 04-26-2012 11:02 AM
PentaxForums.com Exclusive Interview at CP+ - Posted! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 367 03-05-2012 08:42 AM
Question Exclusive Gallery thoughton Site Suggestions and Help 2 07-14-2011 03:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top