Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 20558
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 21319
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 21414
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 310,038
08-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #556
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by samartur Quote
I had resubmitted an image after three tries earlier. After some reflection i am not too happy with what i have posted, it simply does not merit to be in this gallery. I have come to realize there is a defect with old Pentax LX camera i have (probably needs a CLA). Is there way to stop the review process so that the judges are freed from the ordeal of another review. Thanks

May I suggest you try the Critique forum
It might be a more accomodating place to get your feedback.

I have seen the image I think you are talking about, but as I have shot maybe a handful of photos in the last 1.5 years I have avoided the voting for PEG.

08-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #557
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wish some of the judges had a little more humility when they critique.
Some of the judges may not be very subtle, but over all the intent is that the gallery represent, at very least, current standards for the category a photo fits into. Unfortunately the bar is set very high at present for landscape, sports, and wildlife. There is so very much good work out there.

It has pained me to reject many basically good images. I know that the submitter is pleased with their work and I don't like being the person to tell them that it is nice, but not that compelling. Sometimes I will offer suggestions, though usually I will not since resubmission with changes is not a good idea. Usually if an image fails it is not for technical reasons.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 08:59 AM ----------

I had resubmitted an image after three tries earlier. After some reflection i am not too happy with what i have posted, it simply does not merit to be in this gallery. I have come to realize there is a defect with old Pentax LX camera i have (probably needs a CLA). Is there way to stop the review process so that the judges are freed from the ordeal of another review. Thanks
Your LX is an incredible tool and well worth shooting with. Are you familiar with the film camera section of Pentax Forums? There is a long-running thread devoted to film images where the users are incredibly supportive and helpful. (Yes, there have been almost 10,000 posts and just short of a million views!)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-l...ilm-shots.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-15-2014 at 09:00 AM.
08-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #558
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Some of the judges may not be very subtle, but over all the intent is that the gallery represent, at very least, current standards for the category a photo fits into. Unfortunately the bar is set very high at present for landscape, sports, and wildlife. There is so very much good work out there.

It has pained me to reject many basically good images. I know that the submitter is pleased with their work and I don't like being the person to tell them that it is nice, but not that compelling. Sometimes I will offer suggestions, though usually I will not since resubmission with changes is not a good idea. Usually if an image fails it is not for technical reasons.

Steve

Your LX is an incredible tool and well worth shooting with. Are you familiar with the film camera section of Pentax Forums? There is a long-running thread devoted to film images where the users are incredibly supportive and helpful. (Yes, there have been almost 10,000 posts and just short of a million views!)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-l...ilm-shots.html

Steve
I understand the need to set the bar very high. I was just carried away by a similar image I had posted in the user gallery which got a superb rating (5 stars I think). I thought what the heck and gave it a try. What I should have known was that there is a big difference between the perception of general public versus a panel of judges.

I know my Pentax LX is a great camera and maybe after all these years in the attic, it needs a bit of CLA. I will strive to do better in the future. If you can, please convey my apologies to the judges on my behalf. I wish i could retract the last re-submission i had made which i am sure will irritate the judges.

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 09:45 AM ----------

Steve

Steve
It is also possible that the scanning of film was not done right. Unfortunately this service is hard to find these days. I am planning to rescan the film to find out if that is really the problem.
08-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #559

Maybe, finally, something will come out of this discussion?

Something like deliberate shooting, against the postcard photographs?
I do not know, I do not know ...

Last edited by klosov; 08-15-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: translate with GoogleTranslate! :)
08-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #560
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
May I suggest you try the Critique forum
It might be a more accomodating place to get your feedback.

I have seen the image I think you are talking about, but as I have shot maybe a handful of photos in the last 1.5 years I have avoided the voting for PEG.
I have approached the critique forum. Thanks.
08-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #561
Veteran Member

Just remember that "judging" your shot still boils down to an individual's taste. You can have a really good image but if one judge does not understand it and gives a very low score that will pull your average down and you fail. Overall it's fair and it's ok to feel bad when your favourite shot didn't make it. Just ignore the generic comments like "blown highlights". Focus on the real comments about your composition and the mood ... the stuff that really matters. "Blown highlights" or "noise" or "sharpness" don't mean anything in a lot of cases. If it were so then none of Cartier-Bressons shots would make it to PEG.
08-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #562
Forum Member

Yes, I always like constructive criticisms. That is the best to improve for the better. There is always another chance at it anyways. Really I felt bad more for the location where I took the shot than on to myself, somehow I felt I have let down nature at its best.

08-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #563
Forum Member

Steve

Steve
An example of two comments I got today to the resubmission which I so badly wanted to retract.

So the camera is the cause of your image being rejected?
------------------

Really?
------------------

Note the sarcasm in the comments.

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 06:08 PM ----------

Steve

Steve
I have to stress that many of the comments were excellent - good advice, nice encouragement, very constructive. Only a few were totally lacking humility and even hinted at sarcasm.
08-15-2014, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #564
Veteran Member

An example of two comments I got today to the resubmission which I so badly wanted to retract.

------------------

Really?
------------------

Note the sarcasm in the comments.
Being an artist does require some tolerance of criticism (both constructive and non-constructive). Posting photos on the internet in places that require judgment will only increase the number of comments you will receive like this.

Is it right? justified? fair? not always. I avoid posting my images in these places purely because I am self conscious and sensitive to non-constructive criticism. Sure there will be the image or two I am over the moon about and will post anyway, but generally I don't. I suppose it has been good for my photography as I scrutinize my work much more than I used to, from that I have learnt much more than I would have otherwise.

That all said, in this situation I can see that the judges may become frustrated seeing the same image a number of times, as the purpose of the PEG is more about displaying the most technically precise and visually stimulating images. I also suppose that Judges for PEG are wanting to set the standard for the top 0.5% of images which I suspect comes from frustrations with the PPG and wanting to differentiate from that, where the standards are very hit and miss.
08-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #565
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Being an artist does require some tolerance of criticism (both constructive and non-constructive). Posting photos on the internet in places that require judgment will only increase the number of comments you will receive like this.

Is it right? justified? fair? not always. I avoid posting my images in these places purely because I am self conscious and sensitive to non-constructive criticism. Sure there will be the image or two I am over the moon about and will post anyway, but generally I don't. I suppose it has been good for my photography as I scrutinize my work much more than I used to, from that I have learnt much more than I would have otherwise.

That all said, in this situation I can see that the judges may become frustrated seeing the same image a number of times, as the purpose of the PEG is more about displaying the most technically precise and visually stimulating images. I also suppose that Judges for PEG are wanting to set the standard for the top 0.5% of images which I suspect comes from frustrations with the PPG and wanting to differentiate from that, where the standards are very hit and miss.
I understand the Judge's frustration part of it (and I regret that I may have caused it) but there is no need for "get out of my face" attitude. Just my 2 cents. Yes, this is an elite forum which admits the best of the best.

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 06:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
Just remember that "judging" your shot still boils down to an individual's taste. You can have a really good image but if one judge does not understand it and gives a very low score that will pull your average down and you fail. Overall it's fair and it's ok to feel bad when your favourite shot didn't make it. Just ignore the generic comments like "blown highlights". Focus on the real comments about your composition and the mood ... the stuff that really matters. "Blown highlights" or "noise" or "sharpness" don't mean anything in a lot of cases. If it were so then none of Cartier-Bressons shots would make it to PEG.
On a side note, I salute you for your magnificent art contribution to this forum.
08-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #566
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

------------------

Really?
------------------
That truly stings. I am sorry.

I am familiar with your image and believe that a well-made scan would make a huge difference in the full quality of the shot. That may be something to consider with your future film work. When I first returned to film using a digital workflow (several years back), I did my processing at Costco and had them do the scans. That worked well until I got several rolls that simply sucked due to poor processing and their default scanner settings. Any efforts on my part in Lightroom only made things worse in terms of nasty artifacts, jaggies, and weird colors.

I made two changes. First off, I sent my C41 (color negative) processing to a lab that also does processing for many of the local pros. Doing so helps ensure that chemicals are replenished on schedule and the processor machine has been properly maintained. Secondly I bit the bullet and bought a scanner. The difference was night and day. Yes, I know...$$$, but there are various options out there including photo clubs and rental darkrooms that have scanners.

Steve
08-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #567
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
Trying to seek some advice here (I have posted on the critique forum also). What could be the cause of salt and pepper noise (my iPhone does a much better job). I am using a Pentax LX camera (with its reputation) and vintage Pentax prime lenses and ISO 100 films. They all seem to be in good shape. I use a tripod and follow standard practices of setting the camera parameters and try to use the best light most of the time. Could this be due to scanning?

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 07:12 PM ----------

I am familiar with your image and believe that a well-made scan would make a huge difference in the full quality of the shot. That may be something to consider with your future film work. When I first returned to film using a digital workflow (several years back), I did my processing at Costco and had them do the scans. That worked well until I got several rolls that simply sucked due to poor processing and their default scanner settings. Any efforts on my part in Lightroom only made things worse in terms of nasty artifacts, jaggies, and weird colors.

I made two changes. First off, I sent my C41 (color negative) processing to a lab that also does processing for many of the local pros. Doing so helps ensure that chemicals are replenished on schedule and the processor machine has been properly maintained. Secondly I bit the bullet and bought a scanner. The difference was night and day. Yes, I know...$$$, but there are various options out there including photo clubs and rental darkrooms that have scanners.

Steve
You have answered my question posted a second ago. Thanks
08-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #568
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW, I don't submit to the monthly contests or PEG. I have a dozen or so images accepted at PPG (Pentax Photo Gallery), but am no longer active there. I suppose a few of my images might make the cut, but I know that my work reflects my tastes, which tend to be a little eccentric at times. As a good friend once put it, "Your work is good, very good, Steve, but it has an edge."

For a sampling, here is the link to my Flickr account. I am just ending a strange phase so please scroll down a bit to the normal stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28796087@N02/

Steve

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 07:15 PM ----------

Could this be due to scanning?
Yes, I believe that the Death Valley image suffered from a bad scan.

Steve
08-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #569
Forum Member

Steve
By the way, I got the scans done with Costco as it was affordable. Now they have stopped this service and so I got a few done with Walgreens. That is a bad decision. I am looking for another source. How much does your scanner cost?
08-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #570
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

By the way, I got the scans done with Costco as it was affordable. Now they have stopped this service and so I got a few done with Walgreens. That is a bad decision. I am looking for another source. How much does your scanner cost?
Too much. My Nikon 5000 ED is no longer being sold, but it was just over $1000. The upside is that it is a sweet tool. There are competent lower-priced scanners on the current market, but I am not up on the specs. If you are interested in purchase, I would do a look-see at B&H for both dedicated negative scanners and film-capable flatbed scanners, make a few arbitrary choices based on price and post a cry for assistance on the scanner/darkroom section of this site:

Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom - PentaxForums.com

The user reviews at B&H are also usually helpful.

Steve

P.S. Claimed scan resolutions are usually not true, though higher is still better