Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 20509
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 21259
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 21355
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 309,589
05-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #616

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Thank you for those - who are judges for the PEG - and wrote feedback on my entry, I really appreciate it!
You're welcome! I am one who also tried to show Them pictures. Also you had such a silly answers?

05-07-2015, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #617
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by klosov Quote
You're welcome! I am one who also tried to show Them pictures. Also you had such a silly answers?
Actually I find the comments constructive. There are of course partly subjective opinions and comments as well (how else could be?) - but I respect the fact that someone took the time to evaluate and write an opinion.
05-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #618

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Actually I find the comments constructive. There are of course partly subjective opinions and comments as well (how else could be?) - but I respect the fact that someone took the time to evaluate and write an opinion.
Also I respect others' time. Of course.
Especially when it belongs to them.
But for lack of imagination and empathy (understanding), I will never find them!

---------- Post added 05-07-15 at 10:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by klosov Quote
Also I respect others' time. Of course.
Especially when it belongs to them.
But for lack of imagination and empathy (understanding), I will never find them!
Now I read more, more subtly.
I'm still backward.
All the time I was a few months back.
What does not change my opinion.
Sorry.

Last edited by klosov; 05-07-2015 at 12:33 PM.
01-14-2016, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #619
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We love our Mt. Hood, Oregon.

Here is a very nice photo of Mt. Hood, Oregon. This is one of the nicest ski resorts in the country. Fortunately the mountain caught more snow this past December than in recent years. So you can imagine how delighted the operators are at this time. Please enjoy and thanks for looking.

Tony

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
01-30-2016, 12:52 AM   #620
Pentaxian

I've not been submitting to PEG for a long time, when I clicked submit I got this message:
You have exceeded the maximum number of allowed file uploads in this category.

What's the limit now?
01-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #621
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
I've not been submitting to PEG for a long time, when I clicked submit I got this message:

What's the limit now?
I would contact Adam to see what he can do for this situation. Good Luck.

Tony
01-31-2016, 01:05 AM   #622
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote

What's the limit now?

The maximum is 10.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)

You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery.

01-31-2016, 01:08 AM   #623
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Here is a very nice photo of Mt. Hood, Oregon. This is one of the nicest ski resorts in the country. Fortunately the mountain caught more snow this past December than in recent years. So you can imagine how delighted the operators are at this time.

I skied up there in June a few times, 1986, 1987, 1988. It was nice, about 75 degrees, sunny.

We all got sunburns.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-30-2017 at 02:15 PM.
01-31-2016, 07:15 AM   #624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I would contact Adam to see what he can do for this situation. Good Luck.

Tony
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The maximum is 10.
Thanks Tony and Race, I've found the answer, I've hit the next higher limit.
07-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #625
Pentaxian

I am very confused about the submission process for The Exclusive Gallery. Adam's sticky says:

"A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge."

I submitted an image that is 1907x1907 pixels and received this message via email:

"Thanks for your submission to the Pentax Exclusive Gallery! Unfortunately, your photo did not meet the required photo dimensions of 1024x700 OR did not include any camera information and was therefore automatically rejected. Please delete the old photo and re-upload an updated version, or edit the photo here Wise - Pentax User Photo Gallery and select the exclusive gallery category to resubmit it for approval."

I don't know where the 1024x700 restriction comes from; the sticky says that it should be "at least" this, and preferably 2000px per edge. And as far as I can see, my submission contained the full EXIF.

Advice gratefully received.
07-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #626

The email you received stated your submittal was rejected for one of two reasons; it was either not within the size requirements OR it did not contain any camera information. Given what you have stated about the photos size, I am guessing your submittal was rejected due to the missing camera information or EXIF data. That is the EXIF data that is digital data embedded in the photo's data that identifies the camera used, the lens, camera settings, date/time, etc. about the photo. It is captured and saved when the photo is taken. If the photo you submitted was a scanned image of a film photo, then there would not be any EXIF data in the image.
07-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #627
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
The email you received stated your submittal was rejected for one of two reasons; it was either not within the size requirements OR it did not contain any camera information. Given what you have stated about the photos size, I am guessing your submittal was rejected due to the missing camera information or EXIF data. That is the EXIF data that is digital data embedded in the photo's data that identifies the camera used, the lens, camera settings, date/time, etc. about the photo. It is captured and saved when the photo is taken. If the photo you submitted was a scanned image of a film photo, then there would not be any EXIF data in the image.
No, the EXIF was intact, and properly read by the PF system, as you can see here.
12-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #628
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
No, the EXIF was intact, and properly read by the PF system, as you can see here.
Paul, I don't know if it will help you but I use a small add-on for Google Chrome Browser called "Exponator".
Exponator shows the EXIF data for images displayed in Chrome.
When I looked at your magnificent orangutang image - "Wise" - it shows "No EXIF". As the EXIF data is shown in the gallery table it appears that whether it is read or not depends on the software doing the reading. Perhaps the PEG uses a different system to the User Gallery?
04-30-2017, 01:35 PM - 2 Likes   #629

I just want to thank a judge who wrote a short but sweet critique on my photo that I upload for PEG.
Here it's critique; "Can't fault it, just ugly as sin!"

The most constructive comment ever, thank you one more time and because of you I will give a name to photo; "The beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

And here is the pics
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-01-2017, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #630
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osib Quote
I just want to thank a judge who wrote a short but sweet critique on my photo that I upload for PEG.
Here it's critique; "Can't fault it, just ugly as sin!"

The most constructive comment ever, thank you one more time and because of you I will give a name to photo; "The beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

And here is the pics
great image / mediocre judge!

btw, this image's EXIF says: CCD Width 9.23mm

how's that?