Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 19353
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 18462
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 18428
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 247,042
05-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #646
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixie Quote
I don't have the technical knowledge to understand how exactly that whole thing works. Flickr does a better job in showing photos, pixel-peeper goes even a longer way. With no disrespect, I wonder why we can't have something similar on PEG. Just on PEG...
On Flickr the size of a particular image is dependent on the size originally uploaded. Some people upload ridiculously small images, possibly to keep others from stealing their work. Others upload the largest possible file size, which can result in some very nice images to view.

But Flickr has a much larger number of people contributing towards the operating costs of the website, and considerably more resources and money to cover those resources.

Pentax Forums has a much smaller user base. and far more limited resources, and depends on member contributions to cover operating costs.So there has to be a tradeoff, and limiting the maximum size of files while keeping them still reasonably decent to view is one way the admin manages the bandwidth used here.

Also, the images in the PEG are presented at higher resolution than images in other galleries here, but not all members upload the very highest resolution allowed for the PEG, so some of them may not seem to be as "good" as they could be.

Flicker has millions of people contributing to the operating costs, Pentax Forums only a few thousand. So comparing Flickr to PEG is like comparing apples to oranges.

09-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #647
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank for your response and concern. I tried 24 times and was rejected every time. It was good for me to realize that I am not that great of a photographer and especially when it comes to processing my photos and submitting them correctly. I am 70 years old and a lot of the technical stuff is beyond my experience so I have trouble posting photos that meet your size requirements. Example one of the judges sent me this - For example, this image was submitted at 6703 x 3461 pixels and a file size of almost 8 MBytes; the judges were given a version created by the forum software measuring only 1400 x 723 pixels at 878 KBytes file size. The suggested size is 1500 to 2000 pixels "on one edge". I take that to mean the long edge. Successful submissions are often somewhat larger, but not much. Your photo processing software will do a much better job of downsizing than the forum software and if this work had been submitted at 2234 x 1154 pixels, the judges would be looking at your intended colors and detail.

I am way out of my league and yes it is very humbling to realize that I am not the photographer I thought I was, but that is good also, it will make me try harder on my composition and my processing work. I want to thank you for contacting me and trying to encourage me and give me some direction, but I have decided until I can improve which might not happen, I will not post anymore attempts on PEG. I have some real soul searching and decisions to make. I have the equipment two K-1s and one K-1 Mark ii and a KP and lots of good Pentax lens. I need to realize where I am and where I need to go. Thank you again, - Yours truly, mhsp1948 - Mike Price
09-04-2019, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #648
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
I am way out of my league and yes it is very humbling to realize that I am not the photographer I thought I was, but that is good also, it will make me try harder on my composition and my processing work. I want to thank you for contacting me and trying to encourage me and give me some direction, but I have decided until I can improve which might not happen, I will not post anymore attempts on PEG. I have some real soul searching and decisions to make. I have the equipment two K-1s and one K-1 Mark ii and a KP and lots of good Pentax lens. I need to realize where I am and where I need to go. Thank you again, - Yours truly, mhsp1948 - Mike Price
Hi, Mike...We shoot what we like and generally like our results and with time, our results become more like the wonder we experienced when we took the shot. Our gear helps in that process as does simply getting out and shooting and doing the computer work afterwards. The forum has a critique section where we can share our work, absorb suggestions, and give back as we hone our craft. I took a quick look at your gallery here and you have a good eye. Your most recent is pretty cool (Fog Moving In). You might want to consider contributing to the monthly contests. The chances of placing are poor, but making/selecting the shots can be fun. Don't get discouraged.

Steve

(...have never made a submission to PEG...the bar is set a bit high...)
09-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #649
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for those words Steve and I am fine with realizing I could use a lot of work on my stuff and will intend to do so. I love photography and though it was a blow it was something I know I needed and it will make me better at what I do with my photo work and therefore bring me more enjoyment. Just working through the reality of things and maintaining my joy of photography. Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

09-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #650
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I surrender! stevebrot was right when he said, (...have never made a submission to PEG...the bar is set a bit high...) and it is. I posted a few more and I had some judges like my last one and some not and even contradict themselves. Yes, the bar is to high and too subjective for me! I at first felt discouraged, but not anymore. Why? It is what it is, I am not good enough for the PEG, but I will still have fun taking photos, especially how I like to take my photos.
09-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #651

mhsp1948, do not get disgouraged. Post some of your photos into the Critique area on this site one at a time. There are quite a few wonderful members of this site that will offer helpful and constructive suggestions and input on how you can improve the image or how you could have taken a better photo of that scene. This will help you to improve your skills both taking photos and in post processing your images. PEG will be here for a very long time. After you have run several of your photos through the Critique area and learned from that process, visit the PEG and take a good hard and long look at photos of the style that you lean towards to see what has qualified to be in PEG. Then go take some photos and process them using what you have learned and submit one or two. I would not recommend submitting several photos but rather submit one or two photos to see how they are received by the judges. This will not be an overnight process getting your work closer to or possibly over the bar, but it will hopefully be an enjoyable journey while you learn and improve your work.
09-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #652
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
mhsp1948, do not get disgouraged. Post some of your photos into the Critique area on this site one at a time. There are quite a few wonderful members of this site that will offer helpful and constructive suggestions and input on how you can improve the image or how you could have taken a better photo of that scene. This will help you to improve your skills both taking photos and in post processing your images. PEG will be here for a very long time. After you have run several of your photos through the Critique area and learned from that process, visit the PEG and take a good hard and long look at photos of the style that you lean towards to see what has qualified to be in PEG. Then go take some photos and process them using what you have learned and submit one or two. I would not recommend submitting several photos but rather submit one or two photos to see how they are received by the judges. This will not be an overnight process getting your work closer to or possibly over the bar, but it will hopefully be an enjoyable journey while you learn and improve your work.
Thank you whitelotus, I will try your suggestion. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share with me.
09-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #653
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
. . . . . . I am not good enough for the PEG, . . . . .
Well I hope none of the judges told you that.

You may well be good enough, you just haven't found the right combination yet. As suggested, try the critique section, hone your craft, get comfortable with post processing. Build upon the skills you have.

If you want it, you can get it.

You just have to try.

09-12-2019, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #654
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well I hope none of the judges told you that.

You may well be good enough, you just haven't found the right combination yet. As suggested, try the critique section, hone your craft, get comfortable with post processing. Build upon the skills you have.

If you want it, you can get it.

You just have to try.
Thanks Racer, very kind of you to encourage. I will be trying.