Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 20508
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 21258
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 21353
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 309,583
08-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
One more question:

What about post-processing which uses several photos to produce a single result? Examples would include overlaying (to remove people from a crowded scene or to artificially create very long exposures like for star trails or water), focus stacking, exposure stacking (aka HDR) and panorama stitching. Some if this is available from the menu of some Pentax cameras. But not all.

I propose to allow all of it as long as it is photo gallery quality. E.g., I would allow panorama but not extreme aspect ratios (maybe limited to 2.5:1 or less). AFAIK, the PPG does not allow photos created from several shots.
So which one do you use for the EXIF?

Steve

08-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Yeah, in my case PPG has been exclusive enough.
Yeah, they exclude me all the time. Sort of like that big guy at that club where all the attractive women go...

Steve
08-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Nice idea, Adam.

I love the gray skin for the forum but I think it would be appropriate to have the exclusive gallery look a little bit fancier. I fully support your decision against flash but perhaps a black background for the images and some other small cosmetic changes would help to create the level of "exclusivity" these images are meant to represent.
I'm planning on coming up with something special- don't worry It's probably going to be an interface-less showcase with an emphasis on browsing, which will integrate with the uploading system in our gallery.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for all of the work you've done on this.

08-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If it's a film shot, no EXIF is needed of course. If it's a digital shot, and was there in the original, it's got to be there.
Since I can only have a maximum of 10 photos in there, it doesn't seem like a substantial hurdle to get this data back into the file if it's been erased for some reason. (The GIMP version I'm using doesn't strip it.)

More-over, I really like that it's a requirement, because I can now learn from the best of what our other forum members can produce, and what settings they used to shoot.

Additionally, I'd really like it if film users would add the relevant info to their submissions if they can remember it. I believe that would benefit everyone's learning as well.

Last edited by Clinton; 08-05-2010 at 05:15 PM.
08-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Adam, Any chance you could change the max file size on these uploads to be more substantial? If we're going to evaluate high res data, 2.5mbytes seems small.

With that limitation, I'll have to post process my jpegs.
08-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Adam, this is very nice. And since everything I have ever submitted has received abject rejection, I'm leery of uploading anything. Is there any way we can just point to our files currently on the PF site?

08-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You guys are both good to go
hmm I think I have clicked the button more than one time, if you see the same pic submitted multiple times, please delete
08-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Not for pixel-peeping :)

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
@Adam, Any chance you could change the max file size on these uploads to be more substantial? If we're going to evaluate high res data, 2.5mbytes seems small.

With that limitation, I'll have to post process my jpegs.
IMO, 1500-pixel width should be more than enough to evaluate a photo - that's larger than dpreview presents during the voting phase. We are voting on subject/composition/originality/technical execution, not sharpness at 100%

(my opinion)
08-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #40
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, most of my 900-1500 px pics at high qual can come to 350-500kb, so an upper limit of 2.4Mb should be OK - unless you're keen on full-size images to be posted (but why?)

With the announcement of the PF exclusive gallery, expect to be inundated Adam...
08-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #41
m8o
Veteran Member

You know what it is? Compression.

When you make a JPEG w/no loss/compression [is "no" possible? low then if lossless is not possible], it's going to significantly larger than selecting 92%; I've noticed by on the order of 50% larger. And I've never been able to notice what the visual difference is and what exactly is "lost" between 92% quality and 93-100% quality (as the 93% quality is the same image file size as the 100% out of Lightroom).

So point is if I make a 1200px high (on the short side) image with 100% JPG quality, I can easily break the 2.5Meg bank. Set quality to 92% and it's easily under 2 Megs. Of course, actual size dependent on the image's complexity.

On a different note, so should I post my obligatory "Baboon to Lioness, I see you" photo? Reworked of course.

Last edited by m8o; 08-05-2010 at 07:20 PM.
08-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #42

Is there any way to tell when you've been rejected? I see no way of checking your image status, one thing PPG has on ya
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #43

So will there be feedback on why a photo was not accepted?
Also, Exiftool is quite useful for importing/modifying exif data, just in case whatever post-processing software you are using has stripped the exif. I think it is only functional from the command line, but it's pretty straightforward.
08-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Most of the photos I published online does not have EXIF Any possibilities to upload them?
08-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although the gallery says that there is a size limit of about 2.5 MB, all photos larger than 1MB are rejected? At least mine are... so I will send in photos below 1MB only!