Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 20558
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 21319
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 21414
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 310,030
01-01-2011, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #301
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
Maybe there should be a delay in judging! I think the judges should be required to take a 2nd and even 3rd look at any photo they are about to vote NO on to make sure they really want to vote NO. And if they are not able to definitively identify what the photographer was thinking and what his/her purpose for taking that particular photo was, they have no way to know that the photo they are about to reject met all of the photographer's intended purposes, criterion, etc. for the perfect photo to take of the given object/subject at that time and place. I think the gallery might just be improved if the judges were to take their time viewing the photos instead of worrying about "edges having too much noise", and other things that "could be fixed with Photoshop", etc.
Most work that is submitted for PEG approval does not require a second look. Those works that are delayed in approval are mostly due to an incongruence of yes and no votes between judges, awaiting for a more definitive tip of balance to be either accepted or rejected. In the meantime, all images in this boat are still available for voters to change their vote until the system has been satisfied a decision can be made on the image. I have personally never had to change my vote.

01-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Ash, for pointing that out. I did not fee capable enough - as a non native English speaker - to respond, but I am glad someone did!
01-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #303

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Let me make a comment here. PP is neither the sine qua non, nor is it unsuitable for the improvement of images for the gallery. We've had lengthy debates about this in other threads: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/126208-raw-just-me-di...along-way.html and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/125174-why-post-cheating-my-mind.html, and the consensus is both clear and acceptable: PP is a double-edged sword - an essential ingredient, when applied prudently, in transforming images into more effective artforms, but can easily be overdone by the less discerning operator to distort the image beyond appreciable levels. There is little evidence that as a newer generation prefer more processed images any more than before, however the tools available to make it happen (HDR, levels, curves, layers, paths, channels) are a lot more accessible to the general public, and as a result they are used much more, judiciously or not. This may appear to be shifting the style of work from a sheer mass effect, but art is art, the technology does little to alter our appreciation of good visual artwork.

So it's time to accept PP as an invaluable tool, and as a means to make the very good image excellent, which may make the difference between the image being accepted or rejected from any gallery.
Ash, you said what you said in a VERY positive and heartfelt way!! And I thank you for your sage advice!! And perhaps it may be time for me to look into using PP... I can acknowledge that PP is a tool that can be utilized and in a lot of instances, the resulting photo is (or may be) improved through skilled use of that tool. But could it hurt to have a hall for non-PP submittals, a hall for PP improved/enhanced submittals, and a hall for "I took several photos and made something I think it totally unique and wonderful with PP" submittals? That way each style could stand on its own and still showcase the sheer power and capabilities of the Pentax products.
01-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #304

I just want back and printed out the rejection message that I received and yes, there were comments on the photo at the very end of the message.

As to whether I agree with the comments or whether the judge (or judges) involved in making those comments had an idea what I was seeking to capture with the photo is debatable. I would very much welcome a private exchange with the judge that made the comments via E-mail to keep the judge's identity and comments out of the public forum and so we may freely discuss his/her comments so that I might learn from this. Feel free to send me a PM to obtain my E-mail address. I erroneously identified the bird in my photo as a sparrow when it was really a finch. Thank you in advance.

01-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #305
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Thanks Ash, for pointing that out. I did not fee capable enough - as a non native English speaker - to respond, but I am glad someone did!
No worries Rense - English is my second language, and it shows in my limited vocabulary, but I do try...

I just want back and printed out the rejection message that I received and yes, there were comments on the photo at the very end of the message.

As to whether I agree with the comments or whether the judge (or judges) involved in making those comments had an idea what I was seeking to capture with the photo is debatable. I would very much welcome a private exchange with the judge that made the comments via E-mail to keep the judge's identity and comments out of the public forum and so we may freely discuss his/her comments so that I might learn from this. Feel free to send me a PM to obtain my E-mail address. I erroneously identified the bird in my photo as a sparrow when it was really a finch. Thank you in advance.
This may well be a slight deficiency on the part of the PEG, however, not trying to speak on behalf of Adam or other voters, but I do feel that artwork submitted either 'has it' or 'doesn't have it' to be considered for the gallery. We've also had a previous discussion regarding what you describe above: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/81642-ways-im...e-section.html. I don't think an 'explanation' for the image submitted will add much value to the process, but I can see the argument for such an idea.
01-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #306

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I don't think an 'explanation' for the image submitted will add much value to the process, but I can see the argument for such an idea.
Ash - I would welcome discussing this with you either in PM or via E-mail.

Since I am not a professional photographer and I do not Post Process my photos to change them from how they were taken into "something else", I'll probably never see any of my photos in any of the "exclusive" galleries here. But I'll keep submitting and collecting rejection messages with the hope of one of two things happening. Either someone will finally see merrit in not using PP for Pentax camera photos or I'll end up with the biggest pile of rejection messages! :ugh:
01-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #307
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ash - I would welcome discussing this with you either in PM or via E-mail.

Since I am not a professional photographer and I do not Post Process my photos to change them from how they were taken into "something else", I'll probably never see any of my photos in any of the "exclusive" galleries here. But I'll keep submitting and collecting rejection messages with the hope of one of two things happening. Either someone will finally see merrit in not using PP for Pentax camera photos or I'll end up with the biggest pile of rejection messages! :ugh:
Point taken, the choice not to 'post-process', according to your definition of the concept, is your prerogative; however should not be considered a virtue to engender more favourable judgement. Each image is judged on its merits.
PM sent.

01-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #308
Veteran Member

Both different things. So which is it? Do you do curves or contrast/brightness/saturation etc.?
01-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #309
Veteran Member

Hello I've just had my first submission back with some comments, the main thrust of which seems to be that I resubmit it after straightening the horizon This is the shot in question Gobi trails - Pentax User Photo Gallery.

I don't think this shot should have a straight horizon. What should I do now? Just write it off as a disagreement I'll never be able to resolve and move on? Thanks for advice.
01-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #310
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Was this the only comment provided, thoughton?
What doesn't quite do it for the image (in terms of composition) is that the portrait orientation of the image truncates the earth's curvature too much, making the alignment a little uneasy. If this were a square or landscape oriented image, the curvature would look more 'complete' and the horizon's slant would seem more in place. As it is, the horizon looks awkward. But otherwise, the patterns do alright and project reasonably well in the image, despite a somewhat flat contrast/texture detail rendition.
01-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #311
Veteran Member

That was the only criticism, the other comments were just praise (not that I mind praise!).

Thanks for the extra critique though! I think the dry river beds are the focus of the photo so not sure if I can wangle a square out of it. I guess I'll just let it go, thanks for looking at it.
01-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #312
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No worries thoughton. For future discussions of images that don't make it to the PEG, I'd encourage you to post in the thread dedicated to this discussion: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/12735...y-rejects.html
01-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
I don't think this shot should have a straight horizon.
Neither do I. It would be a worse shot with a non-oblique horizon, AFAIC.
What I'd do? Not make the shot worse (i.e., change it in a way you don't like) just to get it into a gallery.

BTW, I agree that the image needs to be in portrait mode and I like it this way. If anything, I'd would have liked to see you pan a bit more to the right.

How did you get the shot?
01-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #314
Veteran Member

Oh it was nothing requiring special planning, I just took it through the passenger window on a 747. The original was extremely flat due to haze and the cloudy (plastic) window so this has had a large (huge, really) levels adjustment.
02-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #315
Veteran Member

Can I ask a question! I now have a k20d but before this I had a Samsung GX10 and some of what I would class as my better work was taken with this camera. Can I submit images with this or is it strictly Pentax only ?

Thanks