Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 20508
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 21258
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 21352
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 309,577
10-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #406
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scatron Quote
In the past, I've been able to submit photos to the PEG by clicking [edit photo] and then selecting PEG from the category drop-down menu.

I tried that today but it didn't work
Bump - still doesn't work - should it?

10-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #407
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scatron Quote
Bump - still doesn't work - should it?
I don't think so, because that would let people submit photos without approval. But you can always delete a photo and re-upload it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #408
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
So I suppose that my old film SLR being a Ricoh XR2S excludes images taken with it, even though it was a lower cost alternative to the Pentax model of the era, and the images were shot through Pentax lenses?

Or that Ricoh owns Pentax now that still doesn't get my film images in?
11-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #409
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I guess we can relax the rules a bit- go ahead and submit those shots!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #410
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I guess we can relax the rules a bit- go ahead and submit those shots!
Thanks Adam.

Now I'll need to dig through boxes of Kodachrome slides and scan a few!

12-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #411

Photos: Gallery
Troubleshoot while post a photo

Hi,

Please remove the images #37151 to #37154. There are the same as #37150. After posting the image for the first time I've got a error from your server. So I tried to repost 4 times and I've got 4 times the same error. But actually the photos were posted ! I'm sorry...
12-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #412
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stephp Quote
Hi,

Please remove the images #37151 to #37154. There are the same as #37150. After posting the image for the first time I've got a error from your server. So I tried to repost 4 times and I've got 4 times the same error. But actually the photos were posted ! I'm sorry...
There's a delete button on the photo page, it should be visible to you

Adam

01-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #413
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm happy to announce that changes have been made to the PEG voting process so that voting will be much more fair to here on out. More great photos will start being accepted unless we already have a lot of similar photos in the gallery.

Submit here:
PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Adam

01-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #414
Veteran Member

very very strange

i mean how could someone make criticism about photo caption? huh??

what kind of judge can post comment like "Can't see the point of this, I'm afraid" or "The title is relating to.....what?"

i never, never left negative feedback on someone else photo caption, or criticism that someone in photo is walking from you and not to you! this is silly

and comment like overexposed sky, what? sorry, how could someone say that sky is overexposed. It was misty morning and i was there shooting with live view and histogram. And i can do post process without having overexposing sky

another great comment from judge. "Sky is washed out" What? there was no sky on my image. Only mist around tree. What does it mean? So if you dont have clouds around your "sky" is washed out?

well,nice and thanks
01-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #415

It sounds like the misty weather may have been a factor in how your photo turned out. Did you mention anything about the misty weather in your comments for the photo you submitted? I don't know if the judges take our comments into account when they view our submittals, but it can't hurt to give them any information about something that may have been a factor if we're permitted to do so via the comments.
01-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #416

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hello everyone,

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 900x500 pixels; preferably around 1500x1000.
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No ugly borders
  • Taken with a Pentax
If your photo conforms to these regulations, ............................................

Hmmmm.... It's a little vague, that last rule.
What if I currently don't Own any Pentax branded cameras, but do own and use K-mount cameras, which I DO use Pentax brand lenses on, and other camera Bodies
, to take photos.

I am not even sure if I should ask this because, I have a Photo that I would like to submit, and at present the "photo conforms to these regulations" as written,.
According to the current rules its more than fair to assume that I may submit a photo that I have "taken with a Pentax" because the Pentax used was a 50mm Pentax lens.

Last edited by Photo_Man_Dan; 01-19-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
01-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #417
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Dear rlg118,

Thanks for your submission to the Pentax Exclusive Gallery! Unfortunately, your photo did not seem to include EXIF information, or it was not taken with a Pentax, both of which are a requirement.

If you uploaded a film photo, please minimally include the following EXIF metadata:
-Camera Make
-Camera Model
-Lens Name
-Focal Length
-Date taken

If you uploaded a digital photo, please ensure that the EXIF information has not been stripped.

Please delete the old photo and re-upload an updated version, or edit the photo here Duke Robillard - Pentax User Photo Gallery and select the exclusive gallery category to resubmit it for approval.

All the best,
PentaxForums.com
Huh?

It's a scan of a film print. It was taken with a K1000, with a Gemini 70-200 zoom lens, on Kodak film, back in the mid-1980s. I included that information. (I don't know the exact date. The ticket stub is gone now.)
01-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #418

That will have to be Adam's call as this site's admin.

This could easily lead to a lively debate because someone could take it to the point where they argue that they had a Pentax teleconverter between their Vivitar lens and their Canon body but since there was a Pentax part in the setup, they should be able to submit a photo for PEG. If it were to be called to a vote, I would have to vote that the camera body must be a Pentax (or Ricoh now that they own Pentax) body. The EXIF data is checked by the site for submittals I think.
01-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #419
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rlg118 Quote
It's a scan of a film print. It was taken with a K1000, with a Gemini 70-200 zoom lens, on Kodak film, back in the mid-1980s. I included that information. (I don't know the exact date. The ticket stub is gone now.)
We are now rejecting all photos that do not contain the camera information as part of the EXIF data. You will need to add this information to the photo itself using an EXIF editor if you want your photo to be considered for the PEG. Sorry for the inconvenience, but we've had to make this a strict requirement in order to streamline the approval process.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo_Man_Dan Quote
Hmmmm.... It's a little vague, that last rule. What if I currently don't Own any Pentax branded cameras, but do own and use K-mount cameras, which I DO use Pentax brand lenses on, and other camera Bodies, to take photos.
Then your photo is unfortunately not eligible for the PEG. You're welcome to upload it anywhere else in the gallery, though!

Adam

01-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #420

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
That will have to be Adam's call as this site's admin.

This could easily lead to a lively debate because someone could take it to the point where they argue that they had a Pentax teleconverter between their Vivitar lens and their Canon body but since there was a Pentax part in the setup, they should be able to submit a photo for PEG. If it were to be called to a vote, I would have to vote that the camera body must be a Pentax (or Ricoh now that they own Pentax) body. The EXIF data is checked by the site for submittals I think.

I agree it could lead to a debait, but it would not last long since a tele-converter is an accessory lens, as in an accessory to a lens, not a lens. This Fact has already been established in addition to being covered in many photo forums many times over many years. Short answer is if it can attach to a camera body by itself, focus light and take a photograph its a camera Lens. If it needs to be attached to a lens to take a photograph its a camera lens accessory. Has nothing to do with weather it contains optics like converters or filter attachments. Thats why my pinhole lens is concidered a lens and contains no glass optics.