Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums
Posted By: Adam, 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Name:  PPG_at_pentaxforums.gif
Views: 20547
Size:  5.1 KB

I am very happy to announce that an idea we've had in the back of our minds for a good while has finally been brought to life! Today we're officially unveiling the PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery, which is conceptually similar to Pentax's PPG. At first, we wanted this gallery to also appear fancy and have cool effects, but we found that other solutions wouldn't offer the level of integration that this one did. So, let's jump right in to what we're looking at here.

Our Exclusive Gallery will become a collection of only the best photos taken by our users. Only PentaxForums.com users will be able to submit to this gallery. We will also be imposing certain quality standards to make sure the photos are at their very best.

To submit a photo to the gallery, simply click the 'upload' link in the upper gallery toolbar, or click here. The submission form is the same as that in our other gallery categories, so you should already be familiar with the controls. The following will be required of each photo:
  • JPEG format and compression at 90%-100% (9-12).
  • A resolution of at least 1024x700 (WxH or HxW) pixels; preferably around 1500 or 2000px on one edge
  • Full EXIF left intact in the file, if digital
  • Manual addition of EXIF metadata, if film
  • A photo description and complete camera/lens fields
  • If you choose to place copyright text in your photo, please do so in the lower-right or lower-left corner only
  • No added frames, borders, or drawings
  • Taken with a Pentax camera (no exceptions)
  • Limit 2 submissions per user day (to be fair to our judges)
If your photo conforms to these regulations, it will then be evaluated by the site staff. If the photo is good enough, it'll be approved into the gallery; if not, we'll simply move it to a regular category. You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery. This limit is currently going to be in place so that every photographer gets about equal exposure, but may increase in the future.

Why this is going to be better than the PPG:
  • Not a slow flash-based gallery
  • Large resolutions will be available for your viewing pleasure
  • Comments can be made
  • More great photos will be posted!
  • Feedback on your photo will be e-mailed to you once a decision has been made
  • The approval decision will be made within 1 week at most (apply to be a judge)
  • Status tracking at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status and updates on status via e-mail
  • It's integrated with your favorite photo forum
And, best of all:
  • If 5 or your photos get approved into the gallery, you will be invited to become an Exclusive Gallery judge
So, why wait? Upload your best now!

A note to newbies: the gallery is accessible through the 'photos' button in the navbar. Simply click it and then select 'User Photo Gallery' from the menu.

Enjoy, guys! I'm very excited to be bringing you this.

Photos accepted into the gallery will also be tagged as "exclusive" in gallery searches and listings, and within the exclusive category, supersized thumbnails will be shown!

Name:  Screenshot-8.png
Views: 21308
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot-9.jpg
Views: 21403
Size:  64.6 KB

Views: 309,945
02-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #541
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still no feedback.... I guess I give up expecting it now.

02-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #542
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Still no feedback.... I guess I give up expecting it now.
Maybe there were no comments?
02-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #543

If you have received the rejection email message, any comments made would be on that message.
02-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
If you have received the rejection email message, any comments made would be on that message.
Yeah.... That's what I have not received. I find it difficult to beleive that of all the people judging not one had a comment. Typically there is 10 to 20.

02-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #545
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah.... That's what I have not received. I find it difficult to beleive that of all the people judging not one had a comment. Typically there is 10 to 20.
Well that is too bad. I know it can be helpful if there are some comments, constructive of course. Especially if the photo scored high.

Maybe you could post it in the critique area?
02-04-2014, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #546
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
As an FYI (and mostly to prevent newbies from accidentally mass-uploading to the PEG), there is now a 2-photo daily limit on exclusive gallery submissions. So, if you have more photos you'd like to submit, upload your top two first, then wait until the next day to upload the remainder. Our judges are very quick these days so chances are that you'll get a decision by the next day anyway

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #547

It also might help their chances significantly to upload the photos into the Photo Critique area and let the other members give their comments and recommendations on how you can improve your photo prior to submitting it for possible inclusion into PEG. Just a thought from the fence...

03-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #548
Veteran Member

Only three photos deemed worthy since Jan. 1st! Are we all really that bad or have people given up submitting?
07-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #549
Veteran Member

I have not seen any new entries for ages.
Has everyone quit?
08-02-2014, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #550
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
I have not seen any new entries for ages.
Has everyone quit?
I had one accepted very recently... here

Thanks all for the positive feedback and encouragement. A couple of the points made:
  • Could have shot f13 rather than f6.7 given light conditions - True. But this was not a planned or staged shot. I was on the beach taking photos of shells with a Helios 44 and quickly saw this opportunity present itself. A super quick change of lenses and from memory just enough time to hit the green button to get an exposure. I didn't really have time to think this through before taking it. Best capturing the moment even if it is slightly imperfect than not at all.
  • Too sharp - Possibly. I can sometimes do this
  • Pano - Yes 1 single 20mm shot cropped down
  • Too wide - I like it this way. I have other versions (one printed on canvas) not as wide and I prefer this composition. Has a very strong rule of thirds composition, bringing it it loses that (for me). This picture greatly benefits from bigger size where the distant object may be seen a bit better
  • More contrast - I actually bumped it up a bit before submitting it compared to my first version. yeah, maybe could have gone further but is better than I originally had it.

But mostly the comment were very positive. Nearly everyone liked the composition, with the various things to look at. The cool toned monochrome processing was popular too.

As for not many entries in a long time, I think people forget, don't know or maybe don't care. There were SO many amazing photos in the first two rounds of the K-3 competition that are far better than this and worthy of being in the gallery.

I also must say this is my 2nd photo in the PEG. I get such a thrill and sense of pride when I actually make it as it really is an exclusive gallery and not easy to get an acceptance.
08-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #551
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I had one accepted very recently... here
Congratulations Darryl!

Thanks all for the positive feedback and encouragement. A couple of the points made:
  • Could have shot f13 rather than f6.7 given light conditions - True. But this was not a planned or staged shot. I was on the beach taking photos of shells with a Helios 44 and quickly saw this opportunity present itself. A super quick change of lenses and from memory just enough time to hit the green button to get an exposure. I didn't really have time to think this through before taking it. Best capturing the moment even if it is slightly imperfect than not at all.
  • Too sharp - Possibly. I can sometimes do this
  • Pano - Yes 1 single 20mm shot cropped down
  • Too wide - I like it this way. I have other versions (one printed on canvas) not as wide and I prefer this composition. Has a very strong rule of thirds composition, bringing it it loses that (for me). This picture greatly benefits from bigger size where the distant object may be seen a bit better
  • More contrast - I actually bumped it up a bit before submitting it compared to my first version. yeah, maybe could have gone further but is better than I originally had it.
You know, the thing is, whatever it is about a photo that you like is the most important thing. Sure, others may see something and present a positive comment to help you see the image in a slightly different way, and that may contribute to a better shot overall. That is always good.

But in the end it comes down to what pleases your eye. After all, we do this for our own satisfaction, right?

But mostly the comment were very positive.
It is always good when comments are positive!

There were SO many amazing photos in the first two rounds of the K-3 competition that are far better than this and worthy of being in the gallery.
My sentiments exactly! I see so many great shots in other areas of the forum that I feel would make a great contribution to our exclusive gallery. Sometimes I may even contact the person privately and urge them to make a submission.

I get such a thrill and sense of pride when I actually make it as it really is an exclusive gallery and not easy to get an acceptance.
I can imagine the feeling. Again, congratulations!
08-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #552
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I think you guys would be better off choosing the photos yourself as you see them posted in various sections of the site.

I foresee a lot of pissed off members submitting stuff that's not approved.
I wish some of the judges had a little more humility when they critique.
08-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #553
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by samartur Quote
I wish some of the judges had a little more humility when they critique.
Yes, some people do seem to have a bit of a challenge when it comes to expressing constructive criticism. It may be that they feel they are being helpful, and cannot see that their words are not well chosen.

There have been some poorly worded comments on photos I have submitted too.

I can only suggest that you sidestep the comments that seem inappropriate, and focus on the positive.
08-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #554
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes, some people do seem to have a bit of a challenge when it comes to expressing constructive criticism. It may be that they feel they are being helpful, and cannot see that their words are not well chosen.

I can only suggest that you sidestep the comments that seem inappropriate, and focus on the positive.
I really have no issues with constructive critiquing, but kind of hinting that I need not make a resubmission because this is an elite club (not exactly the words used). In fact I know my limitations since I really got into photography about a year ago with a 30 year old vintage Pentax LX (it was best at the time I had bought it) which I had dusted off from the attic. Some of the judges were very professional in my opinion but some I am not sure.

---------- Post added 08-14-14 at 07:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by samartur Quote
I really have no issues with constructive critiquing, but kind of hinting that I need not make a resubmission because this is an elite club (not exactly the words used). In fact I know my limitations since I really got into photography about a year ago with a 30 year old vintage Pentax LX (it was best at the time I had bought it) which I had dusted off from the attic. Some of the judges were very professional in my opinion but some I am not sure.
Yes, i will side step these irritants and take the best I could get
08-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #555
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

I had resubmitted an image after three tries earlier. After some reflection i am not too happy with what i have posted, it simply does not merit to be in this gallery. I have come to realize there is a defect with old Pentax LX camera i have (probably needs a CLA). Is there way to stop the review process so that the judges are freed from the ordeal of another review. Thanks